Advertisement

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 390 posts

Re: Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games

Postby Draco x » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:42 pm

Rockman wrote:
:lol:

that's ridiculous.

In one of her other videos she mentions that movies are male-centered and mentions some kind of rule something or other. Which sounds really bad in context. But the reality is that men are more likely to want to go out and see a movie while women are more likely to stay in and watch television. Which is why most prime-time programming skews towards women's interests vs. men.

That's the problem I have watching any of these is you just get one side. She seems nice and respectful but the issues are a bit more complex than a five minute video can cover, and apparently more so than a 20 minute video can cover as well as we see above. I can imagine it being frustrating to want strong female protagonists in video games because they're really aren't but the demographic for gamers is still very heavily men so of course the product is going to appeal to the masses. I mean just the other day one of our posters got rather indignant when he found out that some people here might chose to play as the female character in games. :lol:

Obviously I would have a hard time relating to the "plight of women" as she sees it as I'm a man and don't really pay attention to that stuff. But I don't think that Princess Peach or Zelda being captured a lot is teaching men that women are objects like she posits, and she obviously missed how ridiculous the Mario games stories have become.

Also if you play the paper mario games you are allowed to play as Peach through out the story and is actually very important towards finishing the game or Legend of the 7 stars where she is pretty BA, or the latest Wii game where she is one of the better characters as well. I'm sure she'll get to it, but not everything is the end of the world.

Couldn't have put it better.

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:45 pm

Rockman wrote:
:lol:

that's ridiculous.

In one of her other videos she mentions that movies are male-centered and mentions some kind of rule something or other.

The Bechdel rule

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:46 am

She sounds nice.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 am

I find some of the women in Mass Effect strong, but she will probably disagree, because Miranda wears tight pants or the Asari are all blue big breasted women or whatever.

She going to do comics next?

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 485 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 am

one of her videos is titled "women in refrigerators" I didn't watch it but that one might be about comics :smt102

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 64 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:36 am

Food Eater lad wrote:

Not if it treats all people the same. I am sorry, I didn't realise that having different sets of rules for different groups was cool. Nevermind.

The Office on Violence Against Women within the Department of Justice covers male victims of domestic violence and sexual assault.

Mr. Poolman
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Is Always Right

Postby Mr. Poolman » Mon Mar 11, 2013 9:58 am

She is reading waaaay to much into it.

I'm pretty sure that Miyamoto's games aren't intended as a male power fantasy, but as simple escapism for kids!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:01 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:She sounds nice.

Should ditch the hoop earrings IMO.

/objectified'd

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:03 am

I know when I saw Samus's half naked 8-bit body, I certainly felt rewarded as a 7 year old.

In hindsight, it probably set the tone for my expectations about life and women. Now, I always expect a half-naked woman as a reward for doing anything.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 967 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:10 am

BlueMole wrote:I know when I saw Samus's half naked 8-bit body, I certainly felt rewarded as a 7 year old.

In hindsight, it probably set the tone for my expectations about life and women. Now, I always expect a half-naked woman as a reward for doing anything.

And often, you get it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 am

It creeps me out that she assumes we all grew up wanting to fucking cartoon animals and shit.

I mean, I think we have a pretty good idea by now which of us did, and it's like 50/50.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:03 pm

GLX wrote:

Thoughts?

I can see why she incurred the wrath of trolls everywhere, the woman is extremely offensive. Her agenda is to secure a livelihood without having to actually work for a living so she chooses to target video games because the medium is easily confused as a children's only genre which increases her chances of gaining traction with parent groups and earning more money for her professional activism.

If the War is to be waged against people who exploit women, then why not start with the Kardashians? Or professional cheerleaders? Maybe the gay men and old women who run the fashion and cosmetics industry? Or how about Hollywood for making breast implants a pre-requisite for beauty? Then there's things like 50 shades of Grey or Chippendales, I mean shouldn't men be protected from exploitation and vilification too?

My wife doesn't complain when I objectify her in the bedroom, nor do I complain when she asks me to lift my arms over my head so she can see my lats flare while she's riding me. Being worthy of Objectification is powerful validation that makes people feel good about themselves. Just because some puritans aren't able to be comfortable with themselves, I don't see why they think everyone else should be just as uncomfortable as they are, in order to feel normal.

It's fucking repugnant. :smt011

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
And often, you get it.

The bank just sent over two for filling out my employee reimbursement form on time. Frankly, my office is getting a bit filled up with all the half-naked women in here.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:45 pm

GLX wrote:Thoughts?

She's cute.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:52 pm

Mr. Poolman wrote:She is reading waaaay to much into it.

I'm pretty sure that Miyamoto's games aren't intended as a male power fantasy, but as simple escapism for kids!

She'd probably reply that, "Whether or not Nintendo intended to or not, games such as the main Super Mario series (this excludes Super Mario RPG, etc) and others like it in which women are treated as helpless objects to obtain, instead of fleshed out women, contribute to a patriarchal society."

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum