Advertisement

Review: Astro City Volume 1 Life in the Big City

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 163 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:15 pm

Welcome to Astro City, home of superheroes, super-villains and simple people.

Astro City is Metropolis and Gotham City all in one. Its bright and glorious but also dark and petty. Its filled with proud superheroes that, despite having godlike abilities, have very earthly life issues.

Astro City Volume 1 Life in the Big City marks the beginning of Kurt Busiek, Alex Ross and Brent Anderson's take on superhero comics.

How is it?

Kurt Busiek chooses a very interesting approach to superheroes in Life in the Big City. Instead of the usual (DC and Marvel's) take on superheroes Busiek portraits his characters in a very mundane manner. The Superman like character only wishes to be happy and longs for the simplest of things. The Wonder Woman like character is just as insecure as you or me. Also the common Astro City citizen has hopes and dreams and fears, just like everyone.

The parallelism between Astro City's characters, superheroes and locations their counterparts from DC and Marvel's Universe is evident. Most archetypes are present and Busiek makes the most of this. Its not a parody but a new take on most popular superhero mythos.

The storytelling is not continuous like in most collections. There are no story arcs. Instead Busiek takes an episodic approach to the story. Each chapter (issue) tells one tale and the are no conducting line between them. This first volume seems to be about getting the reader up to date with what is Astro City. Its superheroes, its lore and its spirit.

Samaritan
The first chapter introduces the Samaritan. The Samaritan is Astro City's Superman. A boy scout with God like superpowers that lives with the weight of the world on his shoulders. But all he wants is to fly, that is what he truly loves.

Then comes the story of the Silver Agent, a Captain America (i think) like character. This is told through flashbacks by Astro City's Perry White. In the third story we get to know the Gotham side of the city. In the third story a lowlife identically discovers the secret identity of a famous superhero but has a very hard time dealing with the situation. The result is certainly unique.

The fourth and fifth chapters are my favorite. In the fourth we follow one day of a suburbia woman that works in Astro City. She lives conflicted between these two worlds and has to find her place in the world. The fifth chapter follows an alien that is evaluating the human race and reporting back to his masters. This story is hilarious and genius at the same time.

Jack in the Box
The sixth and last chapter is the tale of the date between The Samaritan (Superman) and Winged Victory (Wonder Woman). Its an interesting way to approach this subject, mainly because Busiek doesn't portrait his heroes like the pinnacle of all that's good and true and  that DC and Marvel many times do.

Art wise Brent Anderson does a very good job. This book manages to hide its age due to great writing and very good art. I particularly love the difference between the Metropolis side of Astro City and its Gotham side. Its so distinguishable that its almost perfect. The character designs are also very good. The homage their DC or Marvel counterpart but at the same time are original and new.

Alex Ross provides some glorious covers that are available in the cover galery at the back of the book.

Verdict?

This is one of the best superhero books I've had the pleasure to read. I know I'm 14 years late to the party, but this is as glorious today as (I imagine) it was back in 99 (the original issues are from 1996). Its aged fantastically well, in fact had I not looked for the publishing date I wound't have guessed it wasn't hot off the press.

Very highly recommended.

Publisher: Wildstorm
Year: 1999
Pages: 192
Authors: Kurt Busiek, Brent E. Anderson, Alex Ross
ISBN1563895517

Follow Reading Graphic Novels on Facebook and Twitter.

Originally Published at Reading Graphic Novels http://readinggraphicnovels.blogspot.com/2013/03/review-astro-city-volume-1-life-in-big.html

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 173 posts

Re: Review: Astro City Volume 1 Life in the Big City

Postby GHERU » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:35 am

Love this book, can't wait for it to come back this summer

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 am

GHERU wrote:Love this book, can't wait for it to come back this summer

I have a lot to catch up to.

Have to thank Timbales for this great gift.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:49 am

Hey! I have that book! It's pretty good stuff. I remember getting the ongoing series for a long time until everything started getting sporadic.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum