Advertisement

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 80 posts

Re: Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games

Postby LobsterJ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:47 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
When she keeps repeating what "she wants" the gaming/comic book industry to do, do you honestly think she's just making benign suggestions that she never wants enforced after she whips her Penis Envying base into a tizzy?

I can see you are deeply concerned about the state of feminism, you aren't a misogynist at all.

So what, you think that her youtube videos are going to lead to...her and her "feminazi" troops seizing power? Is this through voting or just a bloody coup?

Advertisement

LobsterJ
Great Scott!!!

Liked in: 80 posts

Postby LobsterJ » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:50 pm

Ntikrst wrote:
Maybe you will now that I fixed that for you. What kind of fucking moron thinks comic books and video games contribute to the exploitation of women to a greater degree than the Fashion Industry?

Can you show me where either I or the woman in question stated that we think this?

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
I can see you are deeply concerned about the state of feminism, you aren't a misogynist at all.

So what, you think that her youtube videos are going to lead to...her and her "feminazi" troops seizing power? Is this through voting or just a bloody coup?

Actually ya, I think she is going to start up a special interest group to lobby politicians in order to effect change and ensure some form of income for herself that won't actually involve her working for a living. She's a Wertham in training.

You still haven't watched those two critical videos, or you would realize she isn't the be all end all of feminism. She isn't even a feminist, she's a hypocrite and it's pointed out in those videos. Along with a brief appearance of the kind of feminist I respect, one that doesn't have Penis Envy.

And yes, when it comes to women with Penis Envy, I am an unapologetic misogynist.

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:58 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
Can you show me where either I or the woman in question stated that we think this?

That fact that she would waste her time with promoting her agenda against comic books/video games and you would likewise waste your time supporting her views.

If she's going to save women from exploitation, shouldn't she get to the root of the problem? The Gay men and Old Women who run the Fashion/Beauty industries and the marketing campaigns that drive them.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Mar 12, 2013 3:38 pm

LobsterJ wrote:
Where exactly does she advocate censorship? A specific time in any of her videos.

I'll take a crack at it.

If I assume correctly, Ntikrst has a problem with her saying that games such as Double Dragon shouldn't be ported to new gaming devices. Stuff like the damsel in distress getting knocked out cold by a punch to the gut and carried off should, from her perspective, not be tolerated. What she might be okay with is a retooling of the game to chip away the misogyny in the original.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:35 pm

From someone who donated to her campaign:

dairydead
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby dairydead » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:14 pm

I love the random shit that Nkrist decides to capitalize.
The Firelord to Hawk's Galactus

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 184 posts

Postby doombug » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:16 pm

On topic of the actual first episode video, I love the fact that she villianizes Miyamoto completely and then precedes to ignore the fact that Crystal had a brother in the original "dinosaur island" that was to be a second character that you'd play as and be just as vital to the story.

He of course was replaced to Fox and Crystal was pushed to the wayside. But hey Rare is supposed to ignore the guy that basically has final say on the goings on in his own company and the titles being developed for it right? :roll:

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:22 pm

doombug wrote:On topic of the actual first episode video, I love the fact that she villianizes Miyamoto completely and then precedes to ignore the fact that Crystal had a brother in the original "dinosaur island" that was to be a second character that you'd play as and be just as vital to the story.

He of course was replaced to Fox and Crystal was pushed to the wayside. But hey Rare is supposed to ignore the guy that basically has final say on the goings on in his own company and the titles being developed for it right? :roll:

She's a ______________*

*Hey kids! Want to find out what the internet thinks of Anita Sarkeesian? Grab a spare coin and flip it. If it's heads, that means she's a genius. But if it's tails, then she's a hack.

/internet'd

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Postby Liam Rodgers » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:30 pm

Personally, I'm a fan of the "less is more" approach...

Sarkeesian's just reading the wrong comics, they're not all bad.

:twisted:

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:54 am

GLX wrote:
She's a ______________*

*Hey kids! Want to find out what the internet thinks of Anita Sarkeesian? Grab a spare coin and flip it. If it's heads, that means she's a genius. But if it's tails, then she's a hack.

/internet'd

I'd just prefer if she's going to use that character as her first example, to not omit such a huge part of the story and play it off as if Crystal was the only "victim" in the scenario.

I am in no way speaking ill of the video itself which has solid production values and some research put into it. (Heck, I could completely argue the whole Peach thing too as Peach has been a strong character in a shit ton of Super Mario and Nintendo related properties and games)

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:20 am

doombug wrote:
I'd just prefer if she's going to use that character as her first example, to not omit such a huge part of the story and play it off as if Crystal was the only "victim" in the scenario.

I am in no way speaking ill of the video itself which has solid production values and some research put into it. (Heck, I could completely argue the whole Peach thing too as Peach has been a strong character in a shit ton of Super Mario and Nintendo related properties and games)

Looking over the video, she did mention that Krystal was one of two playable characters.

The first video looks and sounds slick. In light of her past work, I doubt that Anita's series a whole will be intellectually solid throughout.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:44 am

:lol: she's from York U.

I have a whole gang of criticisms about her videos but not tonight honey, I have a headache.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:53 am

Keb wrote::lol: she's from York U.

I have a whole gang of criticisms about her videos but not tonight honey, I have a headache.

see, usually if you have issues with someone's product I know something is up. :lol:

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 483 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:26 am

I don't care so much about her complaint in Dinosaur Planet. One of the biggest complaints at the time was that it was not a star fox game, and that he was obviously forced into the genre. Many wished they were allowed to leave it as it was at the time.

However I don't believe it has anything to do with sexism, but more likely Nintendo wanting to appeal to a built in fan base and hopefully get a hit out of the deal. I don't think either Conker's or Banjo tooie were big successes from Rare at the time, but I could be wrong about that.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum