Advertisement

Review Group #369 - Age of Ultron #1

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Re: Review Group #369 - Age of Ultron #1

Postby GLX » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:49 pm

Jubilee wrote:I'll wait for the omnibus..

I have read Avengers Arena, not obtained it through purchase...

:smt011

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Advertisement

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:19 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Manhattan Projects is one of the best monthly comics. I think I see the writer trying to bring the same wild inventive energy to all these Marvel books he's writing, but you can still feel the constraints on him in them. In MP, everything down to the design and covers is just brilliant, not to mention the warp and weft of the alternate history itself.

The Manhattan Projects #1 is free on comixology and you are correct, sir. It is one of the best monthlies I've read in a while; definitely going to get caught up on this series before #10 comes out.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 86 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:57 pm

Monday afternoon bump.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 398 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:47 pm

This wasn't bad, and it's certainly not as decompressed as some other stuff I'm read from Bendis. This issue had sort of a self contained story. It was Hawkeye searches for Spider-Man, Hawkeye finds and rescues Spider-Man, before finishing off with Hawkeye bringing Spider-Man to safety. It's not a complicated story, but it's comics and I don't need a complicated story in order to enjoy what I'm reading. I've read some single issues by Bendis in which I couldn't even describe that extended a plot.

Characterization, as is always with Bendis, is a problem with this issue. Internally the characterization isn't bad, all of the characters act consistently over the course of the story. Once you start thinking exteranally and about how the characters have acted in other stories over the course of their history though, things seem to be a bit off. Hawkeye killing left right and centre and Captain America seeming to give up would be the best examples of this.

In the end I did enjoy this issue. I'll give it a 6 out of 10.

Thank you Troy for the sig

3MJ

Liked in: 61 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:06 am

The complains about Hawkeye and Captain America seem a bit off to me. They have just witnessed most of the worlds populace and their best friends brutally murdered. I imagine that would change a few people.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 77 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:06 am

I read this, I liked it. :smt102

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 396 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 6:30 am

Age of Ultron #1

From the cover depicting a 'kewl' looking Ultron (hint - it's an awful design) to the dramatic (i.e. "inevitable") return of Power Man to the hip and modern (bloodthirtsy) Hawkeye; this issue just screams what an event should be (not).

There's no way to miss the House of M vibe in this book. And like that dreck of a series, this one is pretty easily established to not matter to Marvel's current continuity at all - and this is gleamed on page one! (actually I should say page 2 as page one contains nothing but a technical error - Hank Pym did not simply create Ultron. Yes, he created a robot with his own brain engrams. That "Ultron" was the result was anything but his intended goal.

Is this book just pure laziness on Bendis's part? I have to say it is. How else do you explain the awesomeness of Ultron not even being in the book BUT we do get Hammerhead and the Owl ? :lol:

Decompressed to the max. Hey Bendis, if you want to establish that it's bleak, instead of using 175 pages of rubble why not just say in the opening panel "It's bleak" and get to the actual story. And ENOUGH with the huge depictions of the Helicarrier. Sheesh! Even in pieces it takes up too much space.

A true waste of book

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:43 pm

Jubilee wrote:The complains about Hawkeye and Captain America seem a bit off to me. They have just witnessed most of the worlds populace and their best friends brutally murdered. I imagine that would change a few people.

I'll possibly give you Hawkeye even though I still disagree that he'd act like this. However Cap is a different story. In the Infinity Gauntlet he witnessed the deaths of half the population of the entire MU and didn't give up. In fact the only times I've ever seen him give up like this is when Bendis is writting him.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:57 pm

Punchy wrote:I read this, I liked it. :smt102

I liked it too. It wasn't the most awesome comic I've ever read, but I don't think it deserves some of the bad reviews it's getting. :smt102

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand