Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 438 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:10 pm

Sakie did you get Hawkeye? I got Hawkeye. :)

Advertisement

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1466 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 pm

Keb wrote:Sakie did you get Hawkeye? I got Hawkeye. :)

Oh yeah, I got Hawkeye today! :smt026

I hope that I will be able to read it tonight. Can't wait to see what you thought of it.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm

I didn't get Hawkeye. Thanks for asking.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:53 pm

covalesky wrote:I didn't get Hawkeye. Thanks for asking.

Obv. It's Marvel NOW and I know everything about everything regarding the Outhouse and Marvel NOW.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:57 pm

Hawkeye vol 1: My Life as a Weapon

Very good book. Highly recommend. Shows us a side of Hawkeye that we don't see in comics. It kind of has that casanova vibe to it and I like that. The art is great, even the fill in stuff. The stories are fun and interesting. I like how fraction works with Clint as a person behind the costume and allows us to see him as an every day hero operating in a different world from the avengers. I liked Kate too. Not sure what to make of the Jeff & Annie relationship though. Definitely lives up to the hype. My only complaint was adding that silly Young Avengers issue to the collection.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 am

Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon

Honestly, if you don't know much about Hawkeye or you just want to read a really good book that is published by one of the big two, then you absolutely need to read this book. Aja's art is absolutely fantastic in this book and Fraction really does a great job of establishing who Clint Barton is when he isn't standing side by side with Earth's Mightiest Heroes. If you aren't hooked about the first issue then you're probably a heartless bastard and I don't care what you think anyways. :P

I definitely agree with Keb, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the Jeff/Annie vibe that has been given to Clint and Kate but it could easily just be them busting each others chops and keeping themselves on their toes. The Young Avengers issue was an odd thing to tack on to the end of the book but I guess they felt it was necessary for people who aren't familiar with Kate Bishop to get a little bit of her backstory. All things considered bro, if you aren't reading this series, you should definitely check out this trade bro.

covalesky wrote:I didn't get Hawkeye. Thanks for asking.

:-( I'm sorry. Will you be getting Hawkeye?
ImageImageImage

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:15 am

Keb wrote:Obv. It's Marvel NOW and I know everything about everything regarding the Outhouse and Marvel NOW.

Grayson wrote: :-( I'm sorry. Will you be getting Hawkeye?

Not really. I was just messing wiht Keb.

Although If I was getting any marvel now book it would be Hawkeye. Its been getting great reviews.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:18 am

covalesky wrote:

Not really. I was just messing wiht Keb.

Although If I was getting any marvel now book it would be Hawkeye. Its been getting great reviews.

Seriously, read Hawkeye.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:50 am

The Red Wing by Jonathan Hickman & Nick Pitarra

I really dug the concept of time-fighters. The science of everything was a little too densely packed in and I felt a little cheated that I didn't get to REALLY get into anything like in Transhuman, but I liked the story well enough. After finishing, I felt that if I was to strip the science behind the story away and read the story, it was a bit generic. The art was cool though and I liked the cool time-fighter ships. The whole thing felt too condensed, like it should have been an issue or two longer. I would have liked a better explanation as to why the son goes on to be what he is. Kinda weird though.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 262 posts

Postby misac » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:07 pm

Uncanny X-Force v.4: Dark Angel Saga Part 2 – Much better than part one. Art was really good, Opena draws a great Arcangel. When he does the wings like a robe it’s weird though.

One thing I didn’t like was those AoA guy coming over to the MU. Especially Iceman turning bad for no good reason and stupid looking Blob.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 262 posts

Postby misac » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:08 pm

Keb wrote:Hawkeye vol 1: My Life as a Weapon

Very good book. Highly recommend. Shows us a side of Hawkeye that we don't see in comics. It kind of has that casanova vibe to it and I like that. The art is great, even the fill in stuff. The stories are fun and interesting. I like how fraction works with Clint as a person behind the costume and allows us to see him as an every day hero operating in a different world from the avengers. I liked Kate too. Not sure what to make of the Jeff & Annie relationship though. Definitely lives up to the hype. My only complaint was adding that silly Young Avengers issue to the collection.

Grayson wrote:

Hawkeye Vol. 1: My Life as a Weapon

Honestly, if you don't know much about Hawkeye or you just want to read a really good book that is published by one of the big two, then you absolutely need to read this book. Aja's art is absolutely fantastic in this book and Fraction really does a great job of establishing who Clint Barton is when he isn't standing side by side with Earth's Mightiest Heroes. If you aren't hooked about the first issue then you're probably a heartless bastard and I don't care what you think anyways. :P

I definitely agree with Keb, I'm not sure exactly how I feel about the Jeff/Annie vibe that has been given to Clint and Kate but it could easily just be them busting each others chops and keeping themselves on their toes. The Young Avengers issue was an odd thing to tack on to the end of the book but I guess they felt it was necessary for people who aren't familiar with Kate Bishop to get a little bit of her backstory. All things considered bro, if you aren't reading this series, you should definitely check out this trade bro.

:-( I'm sorry. Will you be getting Hawkeye?

Did you guys plan this? :P :-D

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:51 pm

misac wrote:

Did you guys plan this? :P :-D

Yeah kinda. :oops: We also wore matching outfits to the comic shop but since we go to different shops the irony was lost on everyone.

Here I snapped some pics from Citizen Kang to show the turrible artwork but my phone died and I didn't want to get out of bed to go scan these:
Inflate-a-Herc

Awkward foot

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 124 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:57 pm

Keb wrote:Yeah kinda. :oops: We also wore matching outfits to the comic shop but since we go to different shops the irony was lost on everyone.

Here I snapped some pics from Citizen Kang to show the turrible artwork but my phone died and I didn't want to get out of bed to go scan these:
Inflate-a-Herc

Awkward foot

Damn, that was so ugly.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:55 pm

covalesky wrote:Although If I was getting any marvel now book it would be Hawkeye. Its been getting great reviews.

Bro, you should totally check it our bro. :-D

Keb wrote:Yeah kinda. :oops: We also wore matching outfits to the comic shop but since we go to different shops the irony was lost on everyone.

It was kinda disappointing because we put a lot of thought into those outfits. :smt011
ImageImageImage

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Postby covalesky » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Keb wrote:The Red Wing by Jonathan Hickman & Nick Pitarra

I really dug the concept of time-fighters. The science of everything was a little too densely packed in and I felt a little cheated that I didn't get to REALLY get into anything like in Transhuman, but I liked the story well enough. After finishing, I felt that if I was to strip the science behind the story away and read the story, it was a bit generic. The art was cool though and I liked the cool time-fighter ships. The whole thing felt too condensed, like it should have been an issue or two longer. I would have liked a better explanation as to why the son goes on to be what he is. Kinda weird though.

The ending felt a bit rushed to you too?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand