Thursday, June 30, 2016 • Morning Edition • "The greatest comic book website."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:32 pm

GLX wrote:



Haha. Ok then.

How about if you just don't like it because it's boring and poorly written?
Also, vampires are stupid.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:00 pm

GLX wrote:

guitargod694 wrote:Haha. Ok then.

How about if you just don't like it because it's boring and poorly written?
Also, vampires are stupid.

:lol: Yup.

Most men should hate Twilight because it's a poorly written teenage "spin" on a classic mythical horror monster.

Vampires in history and literature have always represented dark, unethical institutions of power who prey on the weak and helpless. If you take a look at Dracula and do a character comparison of what he is compared to Edward Cullen, you'll see that Stephanie Meyer didn't take the actual qualities that made Dracula a powerful character to Edward Cullen, she basically took the kind of projected expectations that women place on men, applied them to a vampire and manipulated them for the purposes of creating tween fiction. She essentially castrated Dracula and replaced him with every "perfect" male from every chickflick ever.

PEOPLE should hate Twilight because it took a powerful trope and turned it into a wimpy female fetish so that some chick could sell kids books to a bunch of adult women. PEOPLE should hate Twilight because the author took a cornerstone of the horror genre, stripped and dumbed it down to sell kids book to a bunch of adult women.

Men should hate Twilight because women project the qualities of this "ideal" male character, who represents a stripped down version of power, and expect men to be like that.

Hi, my name is Keb. I used to bang a girl who was so engrossed in that Twilight BS that she would ask me to bite her while we were fucking. Made sex very awkward and unenjoyable.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:06 pm

Keb wrote:

Hi, my name is Keb. I used to bang a girl who was so engrossed in that Twilight BS that she would ask me to bite her while we were fucking. Made sex very awkward and unenjoyable.


:lol:

She does have a point that Edward is one creepy motherfucker. Actually, the romantic relationships ain't right (including the kid/Jacob love affair).
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:16 pm

I've never read Twilight. I've only read critical articles and essays about why it's a poor misrepresentation of the vampire genre.
User avatar

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:00 pm

Keb wrote:Hi, my name is Keb. I used to bang a girl who was so engrossed in that Twilight BS that she would ask me to bite her while we were fucking. Made sex very awkward and unenjoyable.


Man, my wife read all those books and she still gets mad when I bite her.
She really liked the books, but I'm not reading that shit. I don't even like "good" vampire stories. Other than Blade.

And neither of us made it through the first movie with a desire to watch the sequels.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:17 pm

guitargod694 wrote:
Man, my wife read all those books and she still gets mad when I bite her.
She really liked the books, but I'm not reading that shit. I don't even like "good" vampire stories. Other than Blade.

And neither of us made it through the first movie with a desire to watch the sequels.

Love the first and second Blade movies. I also liked the Underworld movies. I like vampires, for the most part. I just have no desire to watch or read overtly effeminate versions. I prefer action movies over dramas.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:48 pm

User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:29 pm

Glx baiting me :lol:
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Keb wrote:Glx baiting me :lol:


Just wait until she deconstructs an Evidence LP. :P
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:46 pm

I'm actually waiting for her to take on hip hop.
User avatar

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Keb wrote:I'm actually waiting for her to take on hip hop.


[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
Missy Elliot isn't a strong female rapper.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:31 am

Missy was okay.

I've been watching a lot of videos that take her (Sarkeesian) on. Interesting stuff.

I also watched the two Lego videos. Those were actually really good.
User avatar

guitargod694

cheese

Postby guitargod694 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:30 am

Keb wrote:Missy was okay.

I've been watching a lot of videos that take her (Sarkeesian) on. Interesting stuff.

I also watched the two Lego videos. Those were actually really good.



Agreed on both points.
The LEGO stuff seems like legitimate issue that I can agree with completely.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:04 pm

guitargod694 wrote:

Agreed on both points.
The LEGO stuff seems like legitimate issue that I can agree with completely.

There are a few things I disagree with in regards to her reconstructions but it's mostly good.
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:23 am

Keb wrote:There are a few things I disagree with in regards to her reconstructions but it's mostly good.


I don't think her True Grit analysis made any sense at all.

Hab

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Ward Fowler and 64 guests