Advertisement

Review Group Week 159: RUNAWAYS #7

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 23 posts
Title: The obtuser!
Formerly: your mom

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

GLX wrote:He left the industry.

that's a shame.

Advertisement

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:58 am

thefourthman wrote:Since, other than the boring by the numbers story, my big problem with this book is the art and not that it is bad, but just inconsistent with the artist work on the book before and with everyone else who has worked on the book, I offer the following quote from my review...

When Alphona was working the book, Miyazawa seemed to be able to keep the characters in line with what the creator envisioned. With each arc on the book, Miyazawa has strayed further and further from the fusion of the original design and more in line with books published by Viz.

The style, in itself, would not be a bad thing, except consistency is lost. After Ryan gave the book a typical capes sheen at the conclusion of the second volume of the book and Ramos found his groove again at the onset of this third volume, there was no longer a cohesive style to the book. Just when Ramos’s super cartoonish style had grown on even his detractors, we get this issue.

you can read the rest of my review at http://www.brokenfrontier.com/reviews/d ... hp?id=2168

Couldn't disagree more. I liked Ryan and I liked Ramos, but this was the first time the art felt like "Runaways" since Alphona's last issue.

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 am

thefourthman wrote:that's a shame.

Yeah, but I would imagine he got a hell of a pay raise by doing so.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:59 am

thefourthman wrote:that's a shame.

Damn right. He is a great artist.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:03 pm

amlah6 wrote:Couldn't disagree more. I liked Ryan and I liked Ramos, but this was the first time the art felt like "Runaways" since Alphona's last issue.

I'm not saying that Ryan and Ramos were right for the book. I am saying that Miyazawa is exacerbating the problem by not returning to the classic style that the book is most fodnly remembered for. I pulled out the back issues and the difference between this issue and those is pretty drastic. there is a much more angled style to everything then when he was at least attempting to match the original design.

I am not saying he shouldn't have a voice... but there is no consistency at all to the books art anymore. One of the things that made BKV's run memorable was not just that it was a great story, but that the art had a feel to it that was unlike anything else on the stands and it was markedly similiar regardless of who worked on the book. Between this penciller forcing his voice and two arcs by extremely different artists as well as the seemingly directionlessness of the book at this point, I do not enjoy near as much as I should.

It is not a bad book, merely disappointing.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:15 pm

amlah6 wrote:Yeah, but I would imagine he got a hell of a pay raise by doing so.

What's he doing now then?

Video Games? Movies?

I hope if BKV ever returns to the characters (unlikely) he does too.

Postby ****** » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:19 pm

Punchy wrote:What's he doing now then?

Video Games? Movies?

I hope if BKV ever returns to the characters (unlikely) he does too.

No clue. His website is basically a "coming soon" placeholder and wiki doesn't say.

48THRiLLS
Review Grouper

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Outhouse resident punk rocker
Formerly: cool

Postby 48THRiLLS » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:30 pm

Runaways #7

I dropped this a couple issues ago. I didn't hate it, just sorta tolerated it. The art was fine, I actually like Ramos. The story wasn't bad (except the evil shock jock, really? an evil shock jock?) I like Terry Moore, I was just not enjoying this book as much as I would like to.

I love how this issue opens up with the Wii stuff but it was pretty much downhill after that. The shock jock is still here and I was really hoping that would be wrapped up in the last arc and then the whole Airheads bit with the band at the radio station was kinda eh...The art in this ish is very manga influenced as other posters have stated and Mr. 4thman is right Chase did look like a girl but it didn't bother me too much but I do prefer Ramos but that is just me.
This book was okay but that is just not good enough.

STORY - 6
ART - 6
OVERALL - 6

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Feb 27, 2009 9:25 pm

Runaways #7

Writing-Fun issue. Everything felt right. Not BKV grade but great.

Art-Miyazawa, for the most part, did a great job. Art wise, the problem is with Strain. The colors are bit bright, at times.

Overall-8* out of 10*

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Starlord
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post

Postby Starlord » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:29 am

so when does the next one get picked and when does the list pop up with all our names on it?

Max Blyss wrote:Months and months and months and the whole thing is still just an intersection at Dipshit Lane & Chip on my Shoulder Ave.

SuperginraiX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: unpronounceable
Formerly: Sane

Postby SuperginraiX » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:27 am

Not Sure.

Is Mr. Batman still picking this week?

If not, I'll figure out what I'll pick just in case...

Postby ****** » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:11 am

starlord wrote:so when does the next one get picked and when does the list pop up with all our names on it?

I've been updating the member list as people post their reviews, you've already been added. See the OP. :wink:

It's Mr. Batman's week to pick. If he doesn't post a pick by Monday at 5pm EST, I'll add a poll that will stay open until Midnight that day and we'll determine as a group what we want to read.

I'm going to e-mail Mr. Batman this morning in addition to the PM I already sent him.

Postby ****** » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:21 am

amlah6 wrote:I'm going to e-mail Mr. Batman this morning in addition to the PM I already sent him.

Hurm. He's deleted the e-mail address he had associated with his account here. :?

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:06 pm

Runaways #7 - 'Rock Zombies Part One' - Moore, Miyazawa and Strain
Story - I'm a big Runaways fan, the digests of Volume 1 were some of the first comics I picked up when I started getting into US books, and they really connected with me, since I was about 15 then. The Runaways (and me I suppose) have come a long way since then, creators Brian K Vaughan and Adrian Alphona have gone, and they are now on their 3rd volume, after a lacklustre outing from Joss Whedon, Terry Moore took over the book, and it's been OK, pretty average stuff, entertaining, but it didn't seem to stand out in the way that the original Runaways did from the rest of the superhero genre. But I think this issue was a step in the right direction. Which is both a blessing and a curse, because Moore is leaving after this arc. This to me felt the most like the Runaways of old as any other issue, the focus was on the characters, and the 'villains' were off-beat and not anything any other team would face, the Runaways isn't the Teen Titans or the Young Avengers, and this issue conveyed this well. From the opening page, drawn in a Wii Sports style, this was fresh, funny stuff. I particularly liked the band who were dropped from their label and taking them hostage, it was humorous, but also a good way to fill the issue's action quota, and we also have the main plot, which is equally interesting, Val Rhymin (Howard Stern, yeah?) is not only a Radio Shock Jock, but also a wannabe wizard and supervillain, and his plan is pretty ingenious, through the use of an ancient chant played in the background of a new song he'll be playing on the radio, he'll be able to turn everyone in LA who's had plastic surgery into monsters! That's pretty crazy stuff, and perfect for the Runaways, sure, monsters are nothing new, but the idea of turning those who have artificially made themselves more beautiful into creatures is a smart one, and it also serves as a commentary on the power media figures have over the general public, oooh, it's all multi-layered and stuff. So yeah, this is a solid issue, but it's still not as top-notch as the Runaways could be, but I don't think the fault lies with Terry Moore, it seems to me that the Runaways don't have a purpose anymore. They've defeated the Pride, and also the new Pride, what do they do now? Just wander around bumping into things? They aren't running away from anything anymore! And until the team has a purpose to keep going, and not just be there because it's a fan-favourite, the book will never reach the heights it once did. Maybe they should bring Alex back?
Art - This seems to have been a sticking point for other reviewers, but I have no problem with Miyazawa's pencils, he's been filling in since Volume 1, and also did the most recent Young Avengers crossover mini, and he fits the tone well, it's manga-ish, which gives the book a youthful feel, but it's also dynamic and striking enough to fit the superheroics. Mad props to colourist Christina Strain too, she's an integral part of Runaways, and her style is pretty distinctive here, bright and nuanced. Plus, the girls look nice :oops:.
Best Line - 'No! Don't shoot! I'm diabetic!' I don't know why, but that just tickled me. Very LA.

7/10

thefourthman
Outhouse Editor

Postby thefourthman » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:24 pm

Punchy wrote:it's still not as top-notch as the Runaways could be, but I don't think the fault lies with Terry Moore, it seems to me that the Runaways don't have a purpose anymore. They've defeated the Pride, and also the new Pride, what do they do now? Just wander around bumping into things? They aren't running away from anything anymore! And until the team has a purpose to keep going, and not just be there because it's a fan-favourite, the book will never reach the heights it once did.

This, I almost agree with. purpose gone is a big problem with the book right now. However, it is one hundred percent Moore's fault. He is the writer, this book is not being editorially mandated... there is almost no hint that Secret Invasion even happened, he is free to do what he wishes and he chose to do nothing. Make Howard Stern the bad guy and give him Zombies... really?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand