Advertisement

Videogames...

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Re: Videogames...

Postby doombug » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:49 am

sdsichero wrote:Trailer of stuff that will be at PAX East 2013

*whistles innocently* :wink:

Advertisement

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 50 posts

Postby doombug » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:52 am

eltopo wrote:I'll be there

we'll have to hang out topo! 8)

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Liked in: 0 post
Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:33 am

I've fallen in love with Far Cry 3. I've purchased a LOT of games this month (at least a dozen, most of them older PS3 games I never got around to) but Far Cry 3 has completely sucked me into it.

Plus it's absolutely GORGEOUS to look at. It started storming randomly, and I literally stopped in my tracks because of how beautiful the world looked.

The Beast
cheese

Liked in: 63 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator

Postby The Beast » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:24 am

That sounds fantastic, I still haven't opened mine yet but it's next on my list of back logged games to get through.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Title: The greatest poster ever
Formerly: Mister Fister, Johhny Assplay,TerriG

Postby eltopo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am

doombug wrote:we'll have to hang out topo! 8)

hell yeah I had a blast when I went up there last year

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:49 am

ThatGuyRoman wrote:I've fallen in love with Far Cry 3. I've purchased a LOT of games this month (at least a dozen, most of them older PS3 games I never got around to) but Far Cry 3 has completely sucked me into it.

Plus it's absolutely GORGEOUS to look at. It started storming randomly, and I literally stopped in my tracks because of how beautiful the world looked.

Yeah I have it on PC but I totally agree the game is fantastic and what I find funny is that I find myself doing as much of the side quests as possible (took me almost a goddamn hour to kill 4 leopards with a bow) because I think the story missions actually take away from the game. Fortunately the game is freaking huge there's a ton you can do at all times

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 393 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:33 pm

Ouch the Sim City beating continues...

Hackers open up offline play, modding tools for SimCity

EA and Maxis' claim that it would take "significant engineering work" to make a workable offline version of SimCity took another hit today. Hackers have released modding tools that disable the game's periodic server checks without breaking the simulation. The tools also unlock other features not in the final game.

reddit is abuzz with news and guides for installing the SimCityPak, a downloadable package of files that lets players edit many elements of the UI and underlying game logic. The tools aren't incredibly user-friendly for the time being, but those with some Javascript experience and patience to learn can do things like disable the online connectivity requirement, fix the "fudged" population display, and even affect how the basic simulation works in some ways.

Fans, press uncover massive holes in SimCity’s AI, server connection
The controversy started yesterday when Kotaku noticed that its SimCity game managed to run just fine for nearly 20 minutes after the Internet connection was cut, before eventually complaining about a bad connection to the servers and quitting. Markus "Notch" Persson later reported the same offline play. EA and Maxis have claimed that the game's GlassBox engine requires an Internet connection to offload complex calculations to the cloud in order to improve local performance. Such lengthy offline play flies in the face of the main public justification for the game's always-online requirement.

As if that weren't enough, Rock Paper Shotgun managed to snag an anonymous EA employee who they verified "worked directly on the [SimCity] project." That employee confirmed to the site that the SimCity servers don't do anything more than a normal multiplayer server in any other game and don't aid directly in the local simulation within a city. "They are still acting as servers, doing some amount of computation to route messages of various types between both players and cities... but for the game itself? No, they’re not doing anything," the source said, in part.

Together, these reports poke quite a few holes in EA's official story that it would take "significant engineering work" to make a single-player version of the new SimCity. It also suggests that the game's forced online requirement may have indeed been driven more by concerns about piracy rather than concerns about gameplay.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:50 am

I mean noone really belived ea or maxis did they ?

agian its a real shame cuz the new sim city looks awesome

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 30 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Mar 15, 2013 7:56 am

EA already has a bad rep as it is so this should not have suprised anyone, I do not think Maxis is at fault but just taking direction from them.

I agree with you Topo the game looks like a lot of fun and I know my son would love to play a game like this, but I will not buy into this EA game.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:00 am

bkthomson wrote:EA already has a bad rep as it is so this should not have suprised anyone, I do not think Maxis is at fault but just taking direction from them.

I agree with you Topo the game looks like a lot of fun and I know my son would love to play a game like this, but I will not buy into this EA game.

well EA is such a huge monster now it's one of those things where like it or not you almost have to deal with them

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:02 am

EA has such a track record of being scummy you can't trust them.

It's not even because they are one of the biggest companies out there. Activision gets shit too but nowhere near the amount EA does. Same with Ubisoft.

They don't nickle and dime their customer base half as much and almost every bad gaming trend of the past 5 years seems to come out of EA.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:06 am

Ubisoft irritates me
I hate logging into steam,then having to log into freaking Uplay to play far cry 3

Jack Burton
biny little tird

Liked in: 31 posts

Postby Jack Burton » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:15 am

Having to have an online connection to play a single player game is one of the worst new trends going. What if the net's down and I just want to play?

There's got to be a better way to deal with piracy than that.

eltopo
Twenty-Something

Postby eltopo » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:13 am

Jack Burton wrote:Having to have an online connection to play a single player game is one of the worst new trends going. What if the net's down and I just want to play?

There's got to be a better way to deal with piracy than that.

what I find funny is that these companies say piracy is the huge hit to their bottom line but from what I've read pc sales have been increasing for the last 5 years or so

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:10 am

"We're only making a hundred million dollars when we could be making a hundred and TEN million dollars!"

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum