Advertisement

Marvel Admits Age of Ultron Ending Won't Change Universe Forever

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 203 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:03 pm

The publisher said the ending will be "pretty cool," but "not a game changer or anything."

Source: ThanosCopter Newswire

Marvel Comics showed a rare glimpse of humility today when Joe Quesada admitted in an interview with ComicBooks.net that the ending of Age of Ultron would be less than earth-shattering, and would probably not change the Marvel Universe forever.

"Look, I think it's a good ending," said the beleaguered Chief Creative Officer, "but it's not going to break the internet in half or anything like that. It will make sense in the story, and readers will probably enjoy it. Beyond that, you know, it's really a matter of opinion."

The statement comes after it was announced last week that Quesada had insisted on drawing the final few pages of the last issue of the event comic himself in order to keep the ending a secret from those looking to spoil it, such as his secretary, Rich Jonston in a fake mustache. Marvel's solicitations, released this morning, still held to the company line that the ending would be groundbreaking, saying, "To save the planet Earth – and maybe the entire galaxy! – the heroes of the Marvel Universe made the most controversial decision of their lives. The results have brought disaster the likes of which they have never seen before."

"Well, maybe not the most controversial," admitted Quesada. "Maybe like the eighth most controversial, at least since 2003 or so, which is when we started keeping track of these sorts of things."

Fans met the revelation with a surprising acceptance.

"It's refreshing," commented Eileen Bradshaw, a Marvel Comics reader from Blackburn, MO. "I can go into this with the proper expectations now, and I won't be disappointed."

"With Avengers vs. X-Men," she continued,"I literally spent over $400 in survivalist supplies the week before the issue came out. Bottled water, canned goods, flashlights, batteries... you know, that kind of stuff. Then it ended up being that Cyclops kills Professor Xavier. I mean, who didn't see that coming?"

Saying that a comic book is going to change an entire fictional universe 'forever' is a bold claim to make when most comic universe status quos get rebooted at least every summer with the latest super-mega-crossover event. Marvel's step toward more realistic advertising may finally cause the medium as a whole to be taken more seriously, which would be a boon for readers, long burdened by the image of being socially-retarded nerds dedicating their lives to a silly children's hobby.

"I would be much more comfortable reading picture books aimed at twelve year old boys with ridiculously-dressed, muscle-bound superheroes beating the crap out of each other in public," one adult reader who wished to remain anonymous for obvious reasons told us, "if it wasn't for all the hyperbole."

So this new policy of frankness and honesty may have some dramatic effects.

"Saying that the ending to Age of Ultron won't change the Marvel Universe forever," explained Quesada, :will change the Marvel Universe forever!!!"

Baby steps, Joe. Baby steps.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 260 posts

Re: Marvel Admits Age of Ultron Ending Won't Change Universe

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:16 pm

As long as Barry Allen and Pandora don't come to Marvel and ruin things like they did at DC then it's all good. :-D :-D :-D

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm

They won't have to. Bendis can do that all by himself.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

HNutz
PЦИKЧ ВЯЁ&#106

Liked in: 463 posts

Postby HNutz » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:02 pm

I'd like to know, going into it, that this isn't Marvel's Flashpoint or anything like that.

Knowing that would make me feel better.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:05 pm

You should call it the 616, SWacker hates that!

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:07 pm

HNutz wrote:I'd like to know, going into it, that this isn't Marvel's Flashpoint or anything like that.

Knowing that would make me feel better.

Well we won't really know till next months solicitations but seeing as how none of the solicits say the words, "In the aftermath or Age of Ultron...." Yeah I wouldn't worry too much.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

Herald
biny little tird

Liked in: 275 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:30 pm

draco x wrote:As long as Barry Allen and Pandora don't come to Marvel and ruin things like they did at DC then it's all good. :-D :-D :-D

You Are Too Late! :shock:

http://marvel.wikia.com/Buried_Alien_%28Earth-616%29

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 627 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:05 pm

I don't see how what is basically an alternate universe type of story that runs mostly independent of all the other books could result in a reboot. Especially as none of the other books seem to indicate they're ending that month or anything like that.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 84 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:27 pm

So it's a "Bad things happen but time travel will fix everything." story. Sell some limited edition action figures, eh sorry, collectables then it will never be mentioned again.

It will not be without merit. That one character that no one remembers except a few hard core fans will have a huge impact on the outcome. Then they will be forgotten and used as canon fodder in a few years.

And that my friends, is how you do jaded. :-D

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:44 am

Yeah I remembered that issue of Quasar myself as I brought the comicbook many years ago.

Draco x
FROGMAN

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:45 am

IvCNuB4 wrote:They won't have to. Bendis can do that all by himself.

So agreed.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 293 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:32 am

So ... Previews magazine April issue has an interesting back cover. It features the cover from "Age Of Ultron #10A.I" as seen in Marvel's June solicits, with some new text. Hmmmm .....

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 466 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:28 pm

Black_Orchid wrote:So it's a "Bad things happen but time travel will fix everything." story. Sell some limited edition action figures, eh sorry, collectables then it will never be mentioned again.

It will not be without merit. That one character that no one remembers except a few hard core fans will have a huge impact on the outcome. Then they will be forgotten and used as canon fodder in a few years.

And that my friends, is how you do jaded. :-D

Not time travel, but although not a kitchen table name, I really like what's become of Layla Miller.
ImageImageImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand