Advertisement

Cowboy Bebop

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

David Bird
phrase IV

Liked in: 2 posts

Cowboy Bebop

Postby David Bird » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Late last year I finally gave Cowboy Bebop a try and it’s my new favourite anime. So much so, that I’m already ready for a re-watch.

For those who haven’t seen it, it’s a Noir/Western/SF series about a couple of down on their luck bounty hunters (“cowboys”) who live on a spaceship called the Bebop. They are an ex-cop named Jet Black and an ex-mobster named Spike Spiegel. The latter looks a bit like Lupin, to me anyway, except for the hair. The crew eventually fills out to include a dog, Ein, Faye Valentine, a gambler with a strange past (or no past, depending on how you look at it) and Edward, a young girl and consummate hacker.

In the past I’ve done issue by issue overviews of comics I like and am re-reading. I’d read them, post my thoughts on each issue, and hope to generate some discussion. I’m going to give it a try with Cowboy Bebop. As for Spoilers, I’ll try to avoid them in my initial posts, but you can’t really discuss an episode without some spoilage, so it’s Reader Beware!

Session One: Asteroid Blues

The first episode—or ‘session,’ they try to work a musical theme into each episode—is called ‘Asteroid Blues.’

It starts with a prologue, instead of just jumping into the usual opening. Spike is standing in the rain. He’s got a rose and is waiting for someone. He gives up. There’s a gunfight. Then we get the opening sequence. I really like the opening sequence. I put it up there is the original Hawaii 5-0’s. Exciting, stylish, and it introduces everyone but the dog.

Having started with what looks like an Old World city, we now shift to jump gates over Mars. Spike is working out. Jet is cooking. The set up of this episode, including the prologue, gives the impression that Spike is the star. As the series progresses, we see this isn’t true, but the story of why he was waiting in the rain crops up again and again and becomes as close to an overall arc as the series gets. Typically, it’s all fast paced, done in one stories.

In this story they decide to go after the bounty on a guy named Asimov Solensan. He’s killed members of his own gang and stolen their entire supply of a drug called red eye, or bloody eye. The drug quickens reflexes and may cause violent episodes (but that could just be Solensan, I’m not sure). He’s travelling with a beautiful woman with an enormously pregnant belly. Sources give her name as Katrina Solensan, but I honestly don’t remember her name being given in the show, nor that the two are married. She hopes they can sell the drugs and move from the asteroid bio-dome they live in, called Tijuana, and move to Mars.

Tijuana, at least the portion we’re introduced to, is a rough, run down neighborhood. Much of space looks and feels lived in in the series. Spike goes to see an old Amerindian fortune-teller named Bull. Having watched the show through, it seems a bit atypical and I wondered on second viewing if Bull wasn’t actually an informant selling information through oblique references. We also met the three old codgers, a recurring comedic element . Really the only thing I didn’t like about it was a scene in which we view a fight through a gun sight. It created a game feel to it that didn’t quite belong.

I listened to the commentary, something I’ve gotten out of the habit of doing. There’s a funny story about one of the actors meeting the director. They’d worked together before, but the actor could not remember at all. Interesting facts learned: this episode wasn’t originally broadcast, due to drug use and violence; the show was very popular within the industry and among people who don’t usually watch anime, creating a lot work for those involved; and the three old codgers are named Antonio, Carlos, and Jobim, after the bossa nova composer/musician… Antonio Carlos Jobim.

After listening to the commentary, which is in Japanese, I decided to re-watch the episode in Japanese. To date I had only watched it in English. I watch a lot of sub-titled stuff. Practically everything, actually. English is my wife’s third or fourth language and she’s more comfortable watching things with the sub-titles on. I think I’ll stick with the dubbed version. It’s a quality dubbing and it makes the experience more immediate.

A good start to series, that creates a good sense of noirish futility. Rating: Four Stars

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 1 post
Formerly: Schmormerly

Re: Cowboy Bebop

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Corgis are awesome.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 400 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorites. One of the few that is good with the English dub as well.

Did you watch Samurai Champloo?

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Fri Mar 15, 2013 3:33 pm

Bebop is a fantastic series, about the only anime I'll watch. The song "Call Me, Call Me" from one of the last episodes is one of my favorite songs now, too.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:04 pm

sdsichero wrote:Cowboy Bebop is one of my favorites. One of the few that is good with the English dub as well.

Did you watch Samurai Champloo?

No, til now I hadn't even heard of Samurai Champloo. How does it compare?

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:06 pm

David Bird wrote:
No, til now I hadn't even heard of Samurai Champloo. How does it compare?

They shared the same producer, Shinichiro Watanabe.

Though different in theme, tone, and setting there is a "feeling" of some similarity. Perhaps it's the "Watanabe" touch.

Samurai Champloo is set in the waning days of the samurai era, but there are many anachronisms (eg. a rapping samurai in a gold palaquin). There are three main characters similar to CB, but less side characters.

Like CB, there are a lot of music references, but in Champloo (like the name suggests), it's more mixed up and thrown together. Worth a look I think, though it may take a bit to get adjusted. Also pretty good in English.

David Bird
phrase IV

Postby David Bird » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:13 pm

I'm going to give it a shot (ie, I've ordered it already).

Chris
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 37 posts
Title: Stuff Writer
Formerly: Chris

Postby Chris » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:32 pm

I am not a big anime fan, but I consider Cowboy Bebop to be one of my all-time favorite series - animated or not.

It has one of my top 3 endings.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:33 pm

David Bird wrote:I'm going to give it a shot (ie, I've ordered it already).

oops.

I hope you like it.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 539 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:24 pm

This is the only anime I've ever made it all the way through.

sdsichero

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:This is the only anime I've ever made it all the way through.

You liked it?

I have to rethink my opinion of it now.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 539 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:42 pm

sdsichero wrote:
You liked it?

I have to rethink my opinion of it now.

Shut it, nerdyboy.

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:44 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:
Shut it, nerdyboy.

:cry:

sdsichero

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:50 pm

BTW David, Watanabe recently did another project translated into English. Also with heavy musical themes (and he reunites with Yoko Kanno who did the music for Bebop) called Kids on the Slope (坂道のアポロン Sakamichi no Apollon). I watched 4 or 5 episodes on Crunchyroll. I liked it but since I got busy lost track of it. It also did not have the fantasy element I prefer (they were ordinary teenagers, not set in space or samurai times). Also three main characters (when I last left off anyway).

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum