Advertisement

Rot World Epilogues (Animal Man and Swamp Thing Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Rot World Epilogues (Animal Man and Swamp Thing Spoilers)

Postby Stephen Day » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:54 pm

Both of these issues were enjoyable, with Swamp Thing being, quite frankly, an amazing read.

I'll start with lesser of these two issues Animal Man #18. It wasn't as good as Swamp Thing, but that certainly doesn't mean it was bad. It very nicely finished off the storyline running through this series for a the past year and a half and presented some interesting plot threads for upcoming issues.

So, Maxine frees the organic beings within the last two members of The Hunters Three. Instead of ancient humans who were corrupted, former avatars of The Red, out popped two guys wearing what looks like yellow wet suits asking about the Taproot and the Ascension Chamber. I think I'm interested in seeing what the heck is up with this.

The ending of this issue was as tragic as the front cover suggested, The final page with Buddy and his wife cradling Cliff's dead body was really well done. The page before that, with Cliff saying good-bye to his parents and his final words of, "I saved you dad -- hero -- like you," only added to the impact of that final page. The only part of the ending I found disappointing was the death of William Arcane. That creepy little kid was a great villain and could have been used in some interesting stories in the future.

Finally, Swamp Thing #18. as I already stated, this issue was amazing, easily the best thing I read last week. There were so many good moments with the biggest was Alec killing Abby to allow her to replace Anton Arcane as the new avatar of The Rot. After that came the two quieter, but no less impactful moments of Abby's final farewell to Alec and her gift of her's and Alec's bodies so that Alec could bury them together.

This whole issue was one great moment after another. I'll miss Snyder on this series. He'll be a tough act to follow, but I'm willing to give the new creative team a chance.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Advertisement

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 339 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Re: Rot World Epilogues (Animal Man and Swamp Thing Spoilers

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:34 am

Bumping because I know I'm not the only one here reading these two series. :)

Thank you Troy for the sig

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:03 pm

I was honestly shocked they killed Cliff. I'm a little torn as to if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

The ending for Swamp Thing was near perfect and a fantastic capper to Snyder's run.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:14 pm

Chesscub wrote:I was honestly shocked they killed Cliff. I'm a little torn as to if it was a good thing or a bad thing.

The ending for Swamp Thing was near perfect and a fantastic capper to Snyder's run.

and both these reasons are why i dropped both books with these issues.

i have no interest in an Animal Man book, DC's "family man" book, where one of the family members has been killed. and i've never been a Swamp Thing fan anyway (Snyder's is the first run i've ever followed), and since i don't partiularly care for the status quo he left in terms of going forward, this feels like a good place to drop out for this book too.

that's not to say that both issues weren't very good; they were. they just both leave these particular titles in places i don't care to continue reading, and so i bid them farewell.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 754 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:35 pm

chap22 wrote:i have no interest in an Animal Man book, DC's "family man" book, where one of the family members has been killed.

This. One of the biggest reasons why I liked Animal Man so much from the beginning of the current run was because it was pretty much the only DC book that still had a married couple and that couple had children who weren't terrible characters ruining the story. I just don't see how Buddy and Ellen move forward together after this. I think I will stick around for an issue or two just to see where the title is headed but I'm just not interested in seeing another comic family fall apart.

this feels like a good place to drop out for this book too.

I was going to give Soule's run a chance and I still might but I wasn't a fan of killing off Alec and Abby's human bodies. I thought that having a human body underneath was part of what made this version of Swamp Thing the definitive version that the Parliament of the Green had been searching for. After killing Alec Holland again, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of this series so far?
ImageImageImage

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 162 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:10 pm

Grayson wrote:I was going to give Soule's run a chance and I still might but I wasn't a fan of killing off Alec and Abby's human bodies. I thought that having a human body underneath was part of what made this version of Swamp Thing the definitive version that the Parliament of the Green had been searching for. After killing Alec Holland again, doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose of this series so far?

that is EXACTLY what my problem with the status quo was too. although, like i've said, i've never been a big Swampy fan anyway, and all the stuff Moore, etc. did with the character always sounded like stuff i had no interest in, but the reason i fell in love with this run early on was
[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
because the first arc focused on Alec. i really liked the dynamic where the muck-monster was teased and hinted at, but not seen for a while. it felt similar to a Hulk book in that regard, and while i knew the transformation was coming eventually, it was the simple human elements of Alec and Abby that i liked in those first few issues. and i figured (rightly so as it turns out) that once the transformation occurred i would lose some of that initial love, b/c i knew this wouldn't be a back-and-forth type of thing. however, by ending it the way he did, Snyder probably wrote the best end for Alec he could, but at the same time it was an actual end for that human piece, and with it an end for myinterest level as well.

so it was a good story, and a good ending, but not one i want to continue reading afterward.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand