Saturday, September 24, 2016 • Evening Edition • "At least we're not Multiversity!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

The Walking Dead 3.14 "Prey" - RATE IT!

"Prey" - RATE IT!

10
0
No votes
 
9
4
22%
 
Eli Katz, GiveWarAChance, Grayson_Wayne_72, misac
8
2
11%
 
Chris, e_galston
7
8
44%
 
Frag, GOSD, Grayson, kwiktpyer, pastajoe, syxxpakk, xaraan, xshane666x
6
1
6%
 
Lord Simian
5
3
17%
 
Amoebas, GHERU, IvCNuB4
4
0
No votes
 
3
0
No votes
 
2
0
No votes
 
1
0
No votes
 
  Total votes : 18

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:38 pm

syxxpakk wrote:She tried to take the truck. No keys. Question answered.


Ok but now we have established the fact that she went to the truck. She can't take the truck because there are no keys...which means the Governor still has them. She already knows there is a chance the Governor will survive and resume stalking her and she has a knife. Slash the damn tires and get the fuck out of there!

The fact that she was tied up in the Governor's torture chair at the end of this episode was a culmination of all the dumb decisions that she has made this season.
User avatar

dairydead

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby dairydead » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:47 pm

dude. sometimes people do stupid shit in real life. Sometimes they do it on TV. She was rattled, she panicked and got out of there as quickly as possible. Sometimes characters aren't "logical".

i GUARANTEE that, if you were in her situation, you would make some sort of stupid mistake as well. Its not bad writing, its just that her character is impulsive and often thoughtless.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:54 pm

No, it's bad writing. This isn't reality. It's a scripted drama, and writers should take things like that into consideration, especially in as obvious a case as this.
User avatar

dairydead

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Postby dairydead » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:03 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:No, it's bad writing. This isn't reality. It's a scripted drama, and writers should take things like that into consideration, especially in as obvious a case as this.


Why should they? i dont understand this weird obsession people have with characters never making mistakes or making stupid decisions; even when said character has been shown as pretty terrible to begin with .

Good writing is writing consistent characters and compelling scenarios for these characters to interact within. Characters making stupid choices is NOT "bad writing" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's funny how the internet has given such a vehicle to armchair english scholars to pretend like dumb characters shouldn't exist in fiction.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:43 pm

Grayson wrote:
Ok but now we have established the fact that she went to the truck. She can't take the truck because there are no keys...which means the Governor still has them. She already knows there is a chance the Governor will survive and resume stalking her and she has a knife.


She doesn't know anymore than Rick knew earlier this season with the prisoner. She had every reason to suspect he was being mauled to pieces when he was screaming out in what seemed like pain.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:08 pm

dairydead wrote:
Why should they? i dont understand this weird obsession people have with characters never making mistakes or making stupid decisions; even when said character has been shown as pretty terrible to begin with .

Good writing is writing consistent characters and compelling scenarios for these characters to interact within. Characters making stupid choices is NOT "bad writing" by any stretch of the imagination.

It's funny how the internet has given such a vehicle to armchair english scholars to pretend like dumb characters shouldn't exist in fiction.



Andrea hasn't been presented as "dumb." She is presented as a very capable character with a strong tactical mind. It is her personal judgment that is questionable, particularly in dealing with men like Shane and the Governor. Many of the things that would be attributed to her being "dumb" are just poor fucking writing, because the writers don't know how to set up situations without having characters act very illogically. We've seen this repeatedly with this show.

In any case, the reason it was bad writing is that it was not a decision made by Andrea. For it to be a decision made by her, it would need to be addressed on screen. This could have been accomplished with a two second scene, while she's walking out of the building into the woods, if they showed her look at the truck, think for a second, and decide to move on. Then, when the governor caught up to her later on, it could have tied back to her failure to decide to take or sabotage the truck. That would have been decent writing.

Instead, they ignored the truck completely. Why? Because it was a device needed for the Governor to catch up to her later. Rather than deal with it, they just ignored and hoped no one would notice. Everyone noticed, because it was glaring. That's bad, lazy writing.

I don't understand why people are so willing to make excuses for bad writing just because they enjoy something. I enjoy The Walking Dead. I can still recognize this as a flaw.
User avatar

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:23 pm

syxxpakk wrote:She doesn't know anymore than Rick knew earlier this season with the prisoner. She had every reason to suspect he was being mauled to pieces when he was screaming out in what seemed like pain.


Oh really? So the fact that she survived a zombie horde herself shouldn't give her a clue that it's entirely possible that somebody else could survive one? The fact that Andrea found the rest of her previous group should have been a pretty big hint that it's possible. All I'm saying is that it was a pretty big oversight that ultimately led to her being captured and I am surprised that nobody brought it up on Talking Dead considering that it's a show dedicated to talking about these type of things!
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 5:40 pm

Didn't her knife get stuck in one of the zombie's back? I thought I saw that. :smt102

I hate Andrea but really liked the episode. I thought about her disabling the truck, in the heat of the moment I can see her not having the foresight. :smt102
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:13 pm

Inconsistent writing indeed. I love how when walking through the woods she turns into Emma frickin' Peel and fights off 4 walkers while pinned to a tree using only a pocket knife but 20 minutes later she is subdued and taken prisoner by the Governor outside the prison.

Apparently a semi-attractive unarmed guy wearing an eye-patch whispering "shhhh" is her Kryptonite :lol:
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:13 am

Grayson wrote:
Oh really? So the fact that she survived a zombie horde herself shouldn't give her a clue that it's entirely possible that somebody else could survive one? The fact that Andrea found the rest of her previous group should have been a pretty big hint that it's possible. All I'm saying is that it was a pretty big oversight that ultimately led to her being captured and I am surprised that nobody brought it up on Talking Dead considering that it's a show dedicated to talking about these type of things!


Yes, really.
User avatar

syxxpakk

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby syxxpakk » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:40 am

misac wrote:Didn't her knife get stuck in one of the zombie's back? I thought I saw that. :smt102

I hate Andrea but really liked the episode. I thought about her disabling the truck, in the heat of the moment I can see her not having the foresight. :smt102


Especially when you consider how casually/arrogantly she left that warehouse, as if to say: "Yeah Governor, this is what you get for fucking with me. Death by zombie in enclosed space while you scream in horror at being eaten alive."
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:32 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Inconsistent writing indeed. I love how when walking through the woods she turns into Emma frickin' Peel and fights off 4 walkers while pinned to a tree using only a pocket knife but 20 minutes later she is subdued and taken prisoner by the Governor outside the prison.

Apparently a semi-attractive unarmed guy wearing an eye-patch whispering "shhhh" is her Kryptonite :lol:


Most of a day had gone by! And like you said she survived an attack, she’s been running to the prison part of the way, she had the encounter with the Governor, had to make the rest of the trek to the prison, with no water and little rest I’d imagine. She would be exhausted.

It was just 20 minutes for us but she’s been through a bunch of stuff.
User avatar

misac

Outhouse Editor

Postby misac » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:33 pm

syxxpakk wrote:
Especially when you consider how casually/arrogantly she left that warehouse, as if to say: "Yeah Governor, this is what you get for fucking with me. Death by zombie in enclosed space while you scream in horror at being eaten alive."


I can’t believe I’m defending stupid Andrea!

I hate you Outhousers! :x :P
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:45 pm

:lol:
User avatar

GHERU

Rain Partier

Postby GHERU » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:51 pm

syxxpakk wrote:She tried to take the truck. No keys. Question answered.

did I blink and miss that scene?

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], Grayson, Grayson_Wayne_72, Herald, Mac E Tero and 35 guests