Advertisement

DC Shocker: Andy Diggle Off Action Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: DC Shocker: Andy Diggle Off Action Comics

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:36 pm

chap22 wrote:your definition of "forever" is pretty narrow.

Since Flash? I dunno.

Advertisement

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 141 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:40 pm

Punchy wrote:
Since Flash? I dunno.

His FF and Cap were pretty big news, post Flash. Also, JLA (albeit briefly). Also, Irredeemable.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:58 pm

I wake up and all this happens.

The most hilarious part of all this is the previews for Diggle's run in DC books. I love it.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:05 pm

By the way Waid won and Eisner for DD. Another point in his favour.

And Marvel is on good terms with the writers that left. NO mass walk outs! Seems to me that a lot of writers are flourishing over at Marvel right now.

They have most of their flagship properties in order

The Bass

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby The Bass » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Sunless wrote:By the way Waid won and Eisner for DD. Another point in his favour.

And Marvel is on good terms with the writers that left. NO mass walk outs! Seems to me that a lot of writers are flourishing over at Marvel right now.

I get the feeling Rucka would disagree. Brubaker left in a huff aswell.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 72 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:40 pm

Herald wrote:
So you're saying Waid deserves hazard pay, too... :groucho:

Where do you think Grayson got her inspiration for the Dick Grayson-Tarantula relationship?

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:42 pm

Jubilee wrote:
What has Jay Z got to do with this?

An EIC needs to be someone

A) with innovative ideas
B) creator friendly
C) knows what sells
D) takes risks

Based on that, IF they want to find a new EIC I'd throw money at Millar or Loeb. Maybe Brubaker. They're already influencing the films and television shows to their respective companies benefits, maybe it's time DC stopped trying to cost cut and hire someone the market respond towards.

(For this instance I'm assuming Bendis is still under contract and Morrison won't come back)

Jay-Z would do a better job with running DC than Didio, Lee, Johns, and Harras combined.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:26 pm

The Bass wrote:
I get the feeling Rucka would disagree. Brubaker left in a huff aswell.

Two writers out of how many compared with DC?

I don't recall them leaving in a huff though.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:39 pm

Sunless wrote:I don't recall them leaving in a huff though.

To bass, deciding to write and sell two television pilots you own for major TV networks instead of continuing to write the same corporate owned super hero you've written for 7 years constitutes a huff.

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:10 pm

The saddest thing about this is that, as a reader and fan, I truly care about the properties of DC Comics. They're not "real," of course, but if you've read as much of their adventures over the years as some of us have, you really want to believe that these properties are in good hands.

But at DC...I don't know of too many folks who believe that is true. I don't, and won't, paint individuals with a broad brush, but this stuff isn't all that hard to see: DC's internal problems lead to dysfunction, negative publicity. You can overcome that with really strong stories, but I don't know that I've seen too many people who feel that DC's main line is something they can't do without fairly easily -- far too easily in a marketplace where good product can be found fairly easily.

Again, for me...it's sad. I wish DC was better, I wish talented creators gave more indications that they wanted to be involved with the company. But that hasn't been the case for awhile, and sadly, it doesn't appear that culture is changing anytime soon, if at all.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

ElijahSnowFan
cheese

Liked in: 56 posts
Title: I'm like Atrocitus at times

Postby ElijahSnowFan » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:12 pm

Oh, yeah: I was going to pick up an Andy Diggle-written Action Comics. Now, I will not. So for anyone who thinks this stuff doesn't matter, it absolutely does.

*Sniff, sniff* "Damn it, Diana...If I'd known they would trade us in for a JT Krul-written Captain Atom and "The Savage Hawkman," I'd have let Superboy-Prime destroy all reality."

"Superman flies and is really strong...what the fuck else do you need to know?!" -- Hitler, expressing his displeasure about DC rebooting and complaints about continuity

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 158 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:06 pm

I think this is the first time in a thread where there are absolutely zero replies defending DC :lol:

alaska1125
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 87 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:40 pm

ElijahSnowFan wrote:Oh, yeah: I was going to pick up an Andy Diggle-written Action Comics. Now, I will not. So for anyone who thinks this stuff doesn't matter, it absolutely does.

Agreed, brother. Same sentiment for your previous post. I've loved DC since the early 80's. COIE got me fired up like nothing at the time. Yeah, there were some botches (ahem...Hawkman), but that was solid talent on some seriously good books. This....what's happening now??? It's really disheartening to see an old friend go down the drain. And that is exactly what this feels like.

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:45 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:I think this is the first time in a thread where there are absolutely zero replies defending DC :lol:

I think the other weird firings/leavings by DC brought about similar response (except from some people with general bad feelings toward Gail Simone IIRC).

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:43 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:I think this is the first time in a thread where there are absolutely zero replies defending DC :lol:

Must mean Amoebas hasn't checked in yet.

- Sons of the Desert

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand