Advertisement

RU’s Views: Why We Read Crap pt. 1 - Habit

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Re: RU’s Views: Why We Read Crap pt. 1 - Habit

Postby Zero » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:21 am

That is not true Punchy, it was bad throughout. Fraction has written some truly awful comics and many of them have an X on the cover.

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:31 am

GHERU wrote:With DCBS I don't mind the three month pre-order because I am getting, basically, wholesale prices and I figure that if I end up with ~10 comics a year I wish I hadn't bought I am still way ahead of the curve when it comes to money

They now ship to Canada... I wanted to switch years ago but they wouldn't ship to Canada. Jerks...

I dunno, that's still ~$20 less in your bank. That's a trade or a couple of lunches or maybe a new record (or 2-5 used ones). It doesn't seem like much but it does kind of sting a bit.

I'm cheap...

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:58 am

Keb wrote:They now ship to Canada... I wanted to switch years ago but they wouldn't ship to Canada. Jerks...

I dunno, that's still ~$20 less in your bank. That's a trade or a couple of lunches or maybe a new record (or 2-5 used ones). It doesn't seem like much but it does kind of sting a bit.

I'm cheap...

Well, you could split your purchases between a mail order service and a LCS you could still save money. Mail order your long haul books (i.e. I don't see myself dropping Daredevil or Wonder Woman or Morrison Batman until the creators leave) and keep things that aren't as sure local changeable purchases. Granted, you'd need to be buying a lot of books to make it worth it (BK Thomson levels maybe, I haven't done the math), but it's an option.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am

Zero wrote:That is not true Punchy, it was bad throughout. Fraction has written some truly awful comics and many of them have an X on the cover.

But... Cyclops had a jetpack

oogy
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 59 posts
Formerly: oogyboy, Elwood P Dowd, OH USER #535

Postby oogy » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:02 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:
Well, you could split your purchases between a mail order service and a LCS you could still save money. Mail order your long haul books (i.e. I don't see myself dropping Daredevil or Wonder Woman or Morrison Batman until the creators leave) and keep things that aren't as sure local changeable purchases. Granted, you'd need to be buying a lot of books to make it worth it (BK Thomson levels maybe, I haven't done the math), but it's an option.

I get about 60% of my books from my LCS and the rest from DCBS.

Most $3.99+ books come from DCBS and most $2.99, or anything I can't wait to read, at my LCS.

Stephen Colbert wrote:Everybody knows I don't see race. People tell me I'm white and I believe them because I get pretty good service at the Cracker Barrel.

Ron Swanson wrote:You may have thought you heard me say I wanted a lot of bacon and eggs, but what I said was: Give me all the bacon and eggs you have.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:07 pm

Keb wrote:They now ship to Canada... I wanted to switch years ago but they wouldn't ship to Canada. Jerks...

I'm cheap...

Cheap but not easy, eh, my boy?

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 172 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:29 pm

RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 92 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:58 pm

Zero wrote:That is not true Punchy, it was bad throughout. Fraction has written some truly awful comics and many of them have an X on the cover.

At least it wasn't a triple X comic ...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 581 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Great article RU!

If I had to say one good thing about the current state of affairs at DC and/or the DCnU, it would be the fact that the "New 52" really helped me get over the whole "buying out of habit" mentality. I guess I was always sort of naive when I believed that the company publishing the characters had to care about them more than I did and obviously that was never the case. Like so many other people here at the Outhouse, the amount of titles I have dropped since September 2011 has allowed me to save a little extra cash each month and branch out to try all kinds of wonderful series.
ImageImageImage

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:05 pm

This is a malice I suffer very little of.

First I don't use subscription services, mainly because I only read trades.
Second because I almost don't read superhero books. Not that they're all bad, but because they're mostly mediocre at best.

I had a few situation that I got a few stinkers just because I had a bunch of volumes and didn't want to break the chain. But completism is something you're going to talk about in future articles right?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 524 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:40 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:

Our BK has come so far! From being invisible to being the universally recognized benchmark for buying a shitload of comics! :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:01 pm

mrorangesoda wrote:

I could but I really don't like waiting on the mail.

I like having the ability to change stores as well. I don't like being locked in to anything and because I'm pretty much in transition right now, going to a shop is a good thing. Plus I go to a store that I enjoy because I don't have to deal with annoying fanboys. The last time I had a pull at the LCS, the store owner would always try to get me to talk to these really weird dudes and I got tired/annoyed. That's why I stopped.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand