Advertisement

When did you begin to notice comic book creators?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 14 posts

Re: When did you begin to notice comic book creators?

Postby Food Eater lad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:03 am

I would have to say I first noticed artists over writers. I am sure most of us did. It was Byrne and Perez. Byrne's X Men and Perez's Avengers are still some of my favorite comics of all time.
"Diversity equals division"

Advertisement

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:39 am

Keb wrote:Yeah I pretty much always had McFarlane and Larsen in my head since my brother was a big fan of them.

I didn't start actively seeking out works by a certain creator until I started actually reading comics in university. After reading New X-Men, I sought out Grant Morrison's work.

I took a break after the excesses of the 90s made me a jaded little kid. I came back in college too with basically the same profile- reading Animal Man and Sandman.

I think it's worth noting that the "paying attention to creators" isn't a new creation of the industry- it was pretty part and parcel after Stan Lee got big.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 234 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:39 am

My introduction to comics was a 3 page reprint of the Fantastic Four's origin in a school magazine (Dynamite #4) (I was in 7th grade). It captured me so much I went out and bought the first comic of my comic collecting years (Fantastic Four #160).

In school with someone who had been reading comics for a while (with older brothers) I asked why the art was so different.

He said because they were drawn by different artists. The Dynamite pages were drawn by Jack Kirby and my FF #160 was drawn by...

It didn't matter to me that John Buscema was the name given to finish that sentence. I had the answer I was looking for. Kirby!

So to answer the question this thread asks - I noticed immediately.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 21, 2013 6:42 am

Probably that story in Busiek/Perez's late 90s run on Avengers where they broke the fourth wall and had little mini versions of Kurt and George appear in the story.

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:20 am

Right away. My first comic I sought out specifically was by Whedon/Claremont

Schlemmer
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 115 posts
Title: Hot-Linker
Formerly: Schlemmer; spelled the same but sounds different

Postby Schlemmer » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:47 am

John Byrne was probably the first artist I consistently knew moreso than the characters or name of the comic.

Alan Davis is what brought me back to comics with Excalibur back in the, what, late 80's early 90's?

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 52 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 7:57 am

aparo and Perez. I just knew I loved their art

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 43 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:49 am

I didn't start on comics until I was 16 and it was a creator (Neil Gaiman) I followed into the medium rather than an overwhelming urge to read about Batman. From Sandman I read a bunch of Vertigo stuff and when I saw that writers I liked were doing superhero titles I would pick up things like New X-Men and go from there.

It's the same now where while there are characters I like, I still won't pick up a book featuring them if the creators do nothing for me. Conversely a writer I like on a character I'm cool on is probably going to get a read (All Star Superman and Wonder Woman benefited from this)

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:00 am

I think the first time I noticed an artist was John Buscema on Avengers. His art defined Avengers for me for a lifetime.

From a writer standpoint, I think it was either Roger Stern on Avengers or of all people Jeph Loeb on Challengers of the Unknown.

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:03 am

I noticed artists pretty much right away. I was eight-years-old and reading Wizard, which made it difficult to ignore artists as there was so much hype surrounding the Image Comics founders at the time.

Not sure when I started taking a liking to particular writers. For a long time, I felt ashamed -- to the point of crying because I thought I was stupid -- when I was unable to follow/understand Youngblood or some other poorly written comic book. My focus was on my comprehension and not on the writers. It was a short time after putting this issue behind me, that I began to seek out particular writers.

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Postby DMM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:09 am

I got into comics as an eleven or twelve year old in 1990 or 1991, if I remember correctly, and right away, I paid attention to the artists' names. I never really cared about writers until I got back into comics in 2006.

Eli Katz
OMCTO

Liked in: 48 posts
Title: Avatar Winner, Apr 2012

Postby Eli Katz » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:35 am

Gil Kane did it for me. I saw the opening page of ASM 100 and realized that he drew NYC with a level of detail and realism that was at the time unparalleled.

Tor_Hershman
luchadore

Title: Amazon River Of Consciousness

Postby Tor_Hershman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:30 am

When I saw, & purchased, me first Marvel (Avengers #1) comic.
It was SOOOOOOOOOOO vastly superior to DC.

I also must mention the first two Mad paperbacks.

Stay on groovin' safari,
:shock: Tor :shock:

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:43 am

When I read my first Warren Ellis book. Then again for my first Judd Winick book. Both made me look at the creative team before buying a book, but for opposite reasons.

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Postby DMM » Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:11 am

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo wrote:For a long time, I felt ashamed -- to the point of crying because I thought I was stupid -- when I was unable to follow/understand Youngblood or some other poorly written comic book.

haha! Same here. I mean, I could and did read massive, complicated books like Dune back when I was 14, but I couldn't grasp the complexities and political intrigue of a Youngblood comic.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand