Advertisement

DC Shocker: Charles Soule, Van Jensen New GLC, Red Lantern Writers

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 317 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:54 pm

The two indie writers will be taking over for departing writer Josh Fialkov.

Source: The Beat

The beleagured DC headquarters has announced the replacements for Josh Fialkov, who's leaving Green Lantern Corps and Red Lanterns.  Van Jensen, of Pinocchio, Vampire Hunter fame, will be taking over the former, while Outhouse darling Charles Soule will be on the latter.  

While we'd usually take this opportunity to throw more salt into the gaping wounds DC's suffered today, both Soule and Jensen are friends of the site and we're certainly looking forward to seeing what they can do.  

In a related story, Josh Fialkov confirmed that he departed DC due to creative differences with the editorial team.  

Just a quick note to confirm what everyone knows, I am no longer the writer of GLC and Red Lanterns for DC Comics. There were editorial decisions about the direction of the book that conflicted with the story I was hired to tell, and I felt that it was better to let DC tell their story the way they want. I’m grateful for the opportunity and I’ll miss working with the entire Green Lantern team.

Considering he was promoting an interview about his upcoming DC work on  Friday, I can help but wonder what his breaking point was.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

The Bass

Liked in: 63 posts

Re: DC Shocker: Charles Soule, Van Jensen New GLC, Red Lante

Postby The Bass » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:37 pm

Another pair of total unknowns. Distressingly, one of whom doesn't even have a first name. (Van is not a name)

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby GHERU » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:37 pm

New book to my pull list
Van Jensen is one of the nicest creators I've ever met, and P:TVS was a damn near perfect read!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 782 posts
Title: It's a thing
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:50 pm

The Bass wrote:Another pair of total unknowns. Distressingly, one of whom doesn't even have a first name. (Van is not a name)

I had a friend named Van in gradeschool. :smt102

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1224 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:50 pm

I was on the fence about whether or not I was going to try Green Lantern Corps or Red Lanterns with the new creative teams but I think that this may be the nail in the coffin for me. Nothing against Soule or Jensen but the way that Fialkov left over the direction editorial was forcing him to go, doesn't really give me confidence that they will be allowed to tell the story their way either.
ImageImageImage

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:05 am

The Bass wrote:Another pair of total unknowns. Distressingly, one of whom doesn't even have a first name. (Van is not a name)

You don't keep up with the hot Indie writers??? Shame on you. :shock:

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 481 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:11 am

The Bass wrote:Distressingly, one of whom doesn't even have a first name. (Van is not a name)

Van is a very popular first name for men (#484 out of 1220) and also a very popular surname or last name for all people (#4187 out of 88799). (1990 U.S. Census)

Van Johnson and Van Williams were actors. Van Cliburn was a famous pianist.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:28 am

Johnny Smith wrote:

Really? How dare I think established writers should be given a crack at books.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:30 am

The Bass wrote:

Really? How dare I think established writers should be given a crack at books.

They tried that already. It's why Rob Liefeld and Scott Lobdell ended up writing over 10% of the DCnU.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 414 posts

Postby GHERU » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:39 am

Johnny Smith wrote:

of course not
1 - he works in a comic book store, so indie writers are of no use to him

2 - they make new things, which are bad - why would anyone want to make a new thing when there are still Spider-Man stories that haven't been told 50 times?

(if you think about it, why would we read new books at all when Sherlock Holmes is in the public domain? Who needs new ideas and characters? He wouldn't have read X-men in the 1960s because why would anyone want a new book when Superman is available.)

3 - even though every writer he has ever liked had to have started off as an unknown, indy and other non-top ten writers are horrible people who feed fat Bob their children
RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:41 am

Mario Van Peebles.

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 611 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:44 am

Grayson wrote:I was on the fence about whether or not I was going to try Green Lantern Corps or Red Lanterns with the new creative teams but I think that this may be the nail in the coffin for me. Nothing against Soule or Jensen but the way that Fialkov left over the direction editorial was forcing him to go, doesn't really give me confidence that they will be allowed to tell the story their way either.

yep its kind of the same thing for me... i was excited to read Fialkov's books (after growing bored with the entire GL franchise) but alas he's not writing so I wont be reading. Here's hoping Fialkov gets more books at Marvel...

The Bass

Postby The Bass » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:46 am

Rob Liefeld and Scott Lobdell

Actually, I think Lobdell has proven to be "halfway competent" in his DC work, admittedly a low bar, but he's only writing a freakshow teen titans book and the third banana Superman book.

Look, I want writers with experience. I want writers who can tell a good story. Just because Charles Soule has written ONE well reviewed indy book doesn't mean he should be parachuted onto a major DC book. It's not a knock out Soule, its a knock on DC for not hiring someone more well known.

Although, I guess, the unknowns are the only ones willing to put up with Harras' bullshit now.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 32 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:56 am

The Bass wrote:
Actually, I think Lobdell has proven to be "halfway competent" in his DC work, admittedly a low bar, but he's only writing a freakshow teen titans book and the third banana Superman book.

Look, I want writers with experience. I want writers who can tell a good story. Just because Charles Soule has written ONE well reviewed indy book doesn't mean he should be parachuted onto a major DC book. It's not a knock out Soule, its a knock on DC for not hiring someone more well known.

Although, I guess, the unknowns are the only ones willing to put up with Harras' bullshit now.

Red Lanterns is a major DC book? I mean, while Swamp Thing's been critically acclaimed, it only is a mid-tier seller at best.

I get that you're not criticizing Soule (and I appreciate that), it's just that it's not like they're putting "unproven" writers on stuff like Batman, Action Comics, etc. These are B-list characters, at best.

And remember, Scott Snyder, DC's darling writer right now, was once a writer with ONE well reviewed indy book before he jumped onto Detective Comics.

nietoperz
The Goddamn Bat-min

Liked in: 269 posts
Title: Forum Manager

Postby nietoperz » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:06 am

ooo... looks like this Fialkov story is about to get even more damaging for DC. Bleeding Cool just roared back into life...

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand