Advertisement

DC Shocker: Andy Diggle Off Action Comics

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Skyrider
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Voice of Reason

Re: DC Shocker: Andy Diggle Off Action Comics

Postby Skyrider » Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:30 am

Yeaaah.... DC's totally lost me at this point. Even if you were to set aside the CLEAR and PUBLIC examples of gross mismanagement... and their obvious and inappropriately public disdain for their fans...their stories just aren't that good anymore. Even Snyder's Court of Owls has been lacking, and GL feels like they're phoning it in.

I think a good portion of the reason for that is the reboot itself. They ended up destroying their own universe, something that was a more valuable commodity than any individual character, and worse: they did so while blatantly forgetting the company's mistakes of the past.
back in 1985 when Crisis on Infinite Earths re-consolidated the DC multiverse, DC made a crucial mistake in not rebooting everything at once. This lead to mass confusion since certain titles were running stories per-merge and some were running post. They also had a few continuity hiccups by trying to carry over most events, that didn't get tied up until Zero Hour and/or Infinite Crisis.

It was the main reason so many new readers found DC so confusing...and it BAFFLES me that the company thought it could reboot its ENTIRE multiverse while somehow cherry picking Green Lantern and Batman stories to not be interrupted. It was an obvious sales based movie, and it just lampshades how disingenuous this whole reboot has been. In rebooting the universe, they've made the entire line MORE confusing and LESS approachable than ever before.
Again, as someone said all of these things could be mitigated with really good stories...but the stories they're putting out, even by their star writers, have been...frankly...trash.
It's laughable that the Young Justice cartoon did a better job rebooting the DCU in a compelling and interesting way, while paying respect to the past, than the main comics line has.

The sad thing is, the longer this goes on without a full turn around, I'm not sure how DC can salvage its brands and turn them into readable commodities again.

Advertisement

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:55 am

Juan Cena wrote:Jay-Z would do a better job with running DC than Didio, Lee, Johns, and Harras combined.

Will you feel the same when he unleashes Cassandra Cain and her Hip Hop Legion of Superheroes on an unsuspecting world?

Johnny Smith
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 164 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 am

I thought it was interesting that the Action preview had ... no dialogue whatsover. It was basically five pages of Tony Daniel promo art.

Does anybody remember any similar "silent" previews?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 151 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:01 am

Johnny Smith wrote:
Will you feel the same when he unleashes Cassandra Cain and her Hip Hop Legion of Superheroes on an unsuspecting world?

It'd be better than the s**t Levitz has been dishing out.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 383 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:38 pm

Jubilee wrote:Hahahaha.

I hope the big 2 monopoly ends soon. They're ridiculous. Good to see another writer step away. Indie comics are really on the up. Ill be glad when marvel and DC are a thing of the past.

I do hear Valiant is looking rather appealing at this time since they returned.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:48 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Jay-Z would do a better job with running DC than Didio, Lee, Johns, and Harras combined.

LMFAO. The only bad thing I could see coming from this is making his wife Beyonce a super hero and having Kanye West make more twitter rants than Rob Liefeld when clashing with the other writers and editors. :-D :-D :-D

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:51 pm

Johnny Smith wrote:

I'm more worried about Kanye West throwing temper tantrums at the editorial staff and the other writers over creative differences.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand