Advertisement

The Atom is a woman now? (Justice League #17 Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MajorTool
Steroid User

Liked in: 0 post

Re: The Atom is a woman now? (Justice League #17 Spoilers)

Postby MajorTool » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:43 am

I'm a gay black man and I agree that DC's approach to making their comics more diverse feels half- hearted and ill conceived.

If they really cared, they would have put more effort into making a success of comics like Mr. Terrific ( where the hell is he anyway...saw him in 1 issue of Earth2 then nothing), Static Shock, Blue Beetle and maybe JLI.

I can recall at least a dozen under used characters that could be showcased throughout the DCU without messing with the legacies of our old favorites.
Maya
Taz
Obsidian
Bloodwynd
Amazing Man
Jai & Iris West ( bi-racial)

By suggesting we forget all that went before, DC is simply asking too much. And if there are any new readers, just imagine how confused they will be when/ if things return to the way they were.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Advertisement

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:55 am

Punchy wrote:
You pervert!

You weren't aware of my predilection before??
What, are you new here?? :?

Herald
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:06 am

ElijahSnowFan wrote:I read it early Wednesday, saw that the Atom was a woman, wasn't Ray Palmer or Ryan Choi.

I didn't post about it because I simply did not care. DC will never understand that force-feeding diversity is the worst thing they do. This Element Woman character is the same deal.

Look. I understand what DC's trying to do. Everyone understands it. Comics are for everyone, and every person should be able to read a comic book and feel that the books are accessible to them, too.

But at the same time, DC can't just run away from its history. Ray Palmer was the original size-changing Atom. It's horrible that the only reason Ray Palmer isn't the Atom is because the character is white. It's horrible.

Integrating characters like Cyborg and Black Lightning and Vibe and Vixen and Katana, creating characters like Simon Baz, are the answer. Find a place for Cassandra Cain and Kimiyo Hoshi in going forward.

If you do those things, use those characters, you don't have to sideline Ray Palmer simply because he was created in a time where there were far more white characters than not. It's just horrible that DC doesn't recognize that.

You can have both. You don't have to hate a character like Ray Palmer, strip away his heroic identity, simply because he isn't diverse.

MajorTool wrote:I'm a gay black man and I agree that DC's approach to making their comics more diverse feels half- hearted and ill conceived.

If they really cared, they would have put more effort into making a success of comics like Mr. Terrific ( where the hell is he anyway...saw him in 1 issue of Earth2 then nothing), Static Shock, Blue Beetle and maybe JLI.

I can recall at least a dozen under used characters that could be showcased throughout the DCU without messing with the legacies of our old favorites.
Maya
Taz
Obsidian
Bloodwynd
Amazing Man
Jai & Iris West ( bi-racial)

By suggesting we forget all that went before, DC is simply asking too much. And if there are any new readers, just imagine how confused they will be when/ if things return to the way they were.

While I agree with your sentiments, guys, I really don't want Dan and the Gang to get their grimy paws on those characters (except for Jai & Iris; they're DiDio-era characters, anyway). They already had the chance to show just how horribly they can mishandle Cass, Kimiyo, and Taz; they simply cannot be trusted anymore. Once a higher-up at Warners finally cleans up this dilapidated house, then we can talk about getting DC's diverse characters some GOOD use.

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand