Advertisement

Marvel Announces NOW! Wave 2, AvX What If? by Palmiotti and Molina

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:00 am

The four-issue, weekly miniseries will ship in July and be titled What If Avengers vs. X-Men was well written?

Source: ComicBookResources

On Friday, Joe Quesada sock puppet Marvel Editor in Chief Axel Alonso took a stroll down the hallway at 135 W. 50th Street to speak with Marvel's marketing department, otherwise known as ComicBookResources, for his weekly Axel in Charge fluffernutter sandwich promotional interview to discuss all things Marvel Comics. Amidst all the verbal fellatio, Alonso made a few announcements.

First, he confirmed that Marvel is planning a second wave of Marvel NOW! titles, which he claims will generate the same industry and fan excitement as the first wave. He used the opportunity to kick DC while it's down, pointing out that none of the first wave of Marvel NOW! titles have been "cancelled or RE-relaunched in a whole new direction after 3 or 4 issues." We reached out to DC Editor in Chief Bob Harras for comment, but he just became teary-eyed and stormed out of the room. It is reported that he sobbed quietly for an hour and then ate an entire half gallon of Ben and Jerry's "Chocolate Therapy."

Next, Alonso announced a four issue What If series based on the abysmal Avengers vs. X-Men super-mega-crossover-event that will ship weekly in July. The series will explore the question "what if the Phoenix Force chose different hosts than Cyclops, Emma Frost, Namor, and Colossus?" We were hoping it would instead explore the more obvious question, "what if Avengers vs. X-Men were written with respect for the characters involved and without an apparent desire to both be and have sex with Wolverine as the prime motivation and theme of the work?" On the bright side, it will be written by Jimmy Palmiotti and illustrated by talented artist and occasional Outhouser Jorge Molina.

So you had better buy it!!!

Alonso also spoke about Neil Gaiman and Todd McFarlane's Angela coming to the Marvel Universe at the end of Age of... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

Sorry about that, in the middle of that last sentence, we realized we were neither Neil Gaiman nor Todd McFarlane, but instead one of the 7,074,999,998 other human beings on the planet who don't care about the character.

Head on over to CBR to read the full interview with Alonso, as well as tons of other awesome exclusive content from the Big Two publishers, and while you're there maybe click on the numerous advertisements you'll find from them (currently playing are three huge ads for DC's Constantine #1). We'd say more, but we're still angling to be invited on CBR's yacht this year at San Diego Comic Con, so we're trying to be nice.

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Marvel Announces NOW! Wave 2, AvX What If? by Palmiotti

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:09 am

:lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

BubbaKanoosh
2009 Most Valuable Poster

Liked in: 433 posts
Formerly: BRBKanoosh

Postby BubbaKanoosh » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:35 am

Pretty sure in this alternate reality Cap is still wrong.

GHERU

YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts

Postby GHERU » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:46 am

RUviews
Benderbrau wrote:Welcome to the Outhouse. Where civility means you're doing it wrong.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:09 am

That's kind of fucked up that they are already doing a "What If" on their "big event" that only ended 5 months ago :lol:
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 101 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:59 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:That's kind of fucked up that they are already doing a "What If" on their "big event" that only ended 5 months ago :lol:

I might be wrong (actually more likely than not), but I think there's been a similar window with "What If" stories based on Civil War, House of M, World War Hulk, etc...

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 634 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:19 pm

So we'll probably get a What If? story where the Phoenix Force bonds with Captain America, Iron Man, Wolverine, and 2 other Avengers. We'll probably get some crap where Wolverine will be the final character left with the Phoenix Force and somehow he will be able to control it, thus not killing Xavier, and everyone is happy because Wolverine got to be the big hero of the day. :roll:

I will say that I find the cover to be extremely entertaining if only for the possibility of a match up between the Hulk and Storm. I imagine that the actual battle would be 3 panels and consist of the follow dialogue:

Panel 1 - Storm: I do not wish to harm you but you leave me no choice, prepare yourself and know the power of a living godd...

Panel 2 - Hulk: HULK SMASH!!!!!!!

Panel 3 - Hulk has smashed. The End.
ImageImageImage

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:21 pm

Wolverine gains possession of the Phoenix Force, masturbates and creates a new universe. He's just so damn passionate.

/Claremont'd.

Agent Panic
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Stranger Danger

Postby Agent Panic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:49 pm

I wish they would just make What If? a monthly series again. Loved that book.
Do you know what the most frightening thing in the world is?
It's fear.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:58 pm

Agent Panic wrote:I wish they would just make What If? a monthly series again. Loved that book.

This. You would think that with all of the other Marvel series that have come and gone over the past 15 years since the last ongoing What If? series was cancelled, they would have at least attempted another ongoing revival. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the occasional miniseries but What If? is a really fun title and if used correctly, could be a fantastic bridge to new, younger readers.
ImageImageImage

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 327 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Postby e_galston » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:25 pm

alaska1125 wrote:
I might be wrong (actually more likely than not), but I think there's been a similar window with "What If" stories based on Civil War, House of M, World War Hulk, etc...

yep, they tend to do this all the time.. there was one right away for Annilihalation as well

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:42 pm

e_galston wrote:yep, they tend to do this all the time.. there was one right away for Annilihalation as well

Yeah, What If? Planet Hulk was released in the middle of World War Hulk and actually introduced Skaar a few months before his first appearance at the end of the series.
ImageImageImage

Johnny Smith
cheese

Liked in: 116 posts
Title: Metadata Broker

Postby Johnny Smith » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:15 pm

Agent Panic wrote:I wish they would just make What If? a monthly series again. Loved that book.

I'd only be in favor of a monthly series if Marvel was committed to maintaining the quality of the book. I have a feeling you'd end up with C and D list creators if it was a monthly. So I vote for the mini-series approach.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 290 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:13 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:That's kind of fucked up that they are already doing a "What If" on their "big event" that only ended 5 months ago :lol:

To be fair, when What If was still a regular monthly series it wasn't that uncommon for issues based on big events to come out not long after they ended. I recall the issue dealing with what if the heroes of the MU lost Atlantis Attacks coming out not long after that big crossover.

So, it's not like this is anything new.

Thank you Troy for the sig

Alan Alexander
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 112 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Marvel Announces NOW! Wave 2, AvX What If? by Palmiotti and Molina

Postby Alan Alexander » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:12 pm

Anthology series don't sell. Most people buy comics because they like particular characters and stories about them. Since the ongoing What If was an anthology focusing on different characters each month, if you bought it one month for "What If Wolverine became King of the Vampires" (because you have absolutely no self respect), you would probably have to wait several months for another Wolverine story to masturbate over.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand