Advertisement

I met John Romita Sr Today

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

MistaT
penile prisoner

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: ThreadKilla

Re: I met John Romita Sr Today

Postby MistaT » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:00 pm

Awesome!

Advertisement

mrorangesoda
FROGMAN

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Be the leaf

Postby mrorangesoda » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:10 pm

Sweet. He tell you any cool stories from the old days? The Marvel Comics:The Untold Story has me more and more interested in that environment.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Liked in: 14 posts

Postby Food Eater lad » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:17 pm

Yes, we talked about Chris Claremont, Jim Shooter, Steve Ditko, Kirby and John Buscema.

He said he remembers when Claremont first started, he was a kid and a pest. Then he said he came a long way, and that at the last convention they did together they were mistaken for each other and he as asked long questions about the X Men that he couldn't answer. He said they both laughed.

He said that the first three years under Shooter were great. But then he got too controlling and alienated abunch of people. He said he was ready to quit but then Shooter got fired.

He also said that Ditko was one of the smartest people he ever met. But Steve and Stan constantly fought. Stan was always toning down Steve's political views in Spider Man which ticked off Steve. They fought so much that when Stan said that the Green Goblin was Harry's dad, Steve flipped and said it that in a city with millions of people why does everyone have to be connected to Peter Parker? Steve said it wasn't realistic. Stan told Steve that they didn't sell realism, and Steve walked. John said he didn't want to do Spider man, that he felt he was following Steve. He wanted to stay on Daredevil and make his own name. He said every month he was waiting to get fired.

He also showed me his last bottle of ink. He said he his hording it, as he can't find a replacement for it. He joked that when it runs out, he can't draw anymore.
"Diversity equals division"

Food Eater lad
cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:29 pm

He said that John Buscema would tease him for erasing. Romita would erase whole panels that he felt weren't working. Buscema would then tell him to throw away his eraser that kids wouldn't notice, and that it wasn't fine art. He and Gene Colan would get teased a lot for laboring over panels and making sure they were right.

John Romita had a lot of respect for Gene Colan. He also was a fan of Jim Lee, who he said is was a great storyteller.

He also said that his son just got his first royalty check from the Kick Ass movie a few months ago. That bothered him. He said his son had to go and promote the movie, which took him away from working, and then it took years for him to get paid. And with the sequel coming out, he hopes he saved some money cause he will have to be away from his desk for a while only to be paid for it years from now. I can see Hollywood paying everyone BUT the guys who came up with idea. Sounds like them.

He also said he is done with conventions as he can't walk through the crowds anymore. The last convention he was at, some convention security guy actually stopped him from pulling his wheeled case of art supplies and made him carry it! The guy is in his 80s! He said he is done.

And he said something that I just have to agree with 100%. He asked me why is DC trying so hard to make the same mistakes that Image made in the 90s.

I think we are all wondering about that one.

He did lament the near death of printed comics. He said he understands why its happening, but its not something he is looking forward too. He said he felt that comics nearly died in 58, then again in the 70s, but he thinks this is the final gasp. I am sad, but I think he may be right this time.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 283 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:30 pm

Food Eater lad wrote:Yes, we talked about Chris Claremont, Jim Shooter, Steve Ditko, Kirby and John Buscema.

He said he remembers when Claremont first started, he was a kid and a pest. Then he said he came a long way, and that at the last convention they did together they were mistaken for each other and he as asked long questions about the X Men that he couldn't answer. He said they both laughed.

He said that the first three years under Shooter were great. But then he got too controlling and alienated abunch of people. He said he was ready to quit but then Shooter got fired.

He also said that Ditko was one of the smartest people he ever met. But Steve and Stan constantly fought. Stan was always toning down Steve's political views in Spider Man which ticked off Steve. They fought so much that when Stan said that the Green Goblin was Harry's dad, Steve flipped and said it that in a city with millions of people why does everyone have to be connected to Peter Parker? Steve said it wasn't realistic. Stan told Steve that they didn't sell realism, and Steve walked. John said he didn't want to do Spider man, that he felt he was following Steve. He wanted to stay on Daredevil and make his own name. He said every month he was waiting to get fired.

He also showed me his last bottle of ink. He said he his hording it, as he can't find a replacement for it. He joked that when it runs out, he can't draw anymore.

Neat.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:58 pm

John was also sad that so many comic fans, and even artists had no understanding of the history of comics. He said that its shame so many don't know the work of Milton Canif, Charles Biro, and Noel Sickles.

( he got me on that last one)

He also told me to watch Charlie Chapmen films, something I had to admit I never did. So he actually gave me homework.

I am buying a book for him, to thank him for his time, and I will give it to my coworker to give to him. I actually got tears in my eyes when I saw the autograph he did in my comic I brought with me. He laughed and said, "everyone has a better copy of Spider Man 39 then me."

Food Eater lad
cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:00 am

Oh, and I almost forgot. I didn't know he worked for 8 years for DC doing romance comics. He said that there is a collection of his DC work out, I have to get it now.

Food Eater lad
cheese

Postby Food Eater lad » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:10 am

Here is a pic of his basement wall. The poster is for a pitch for a Sub Mariner cartoon that never made it.

muddyglass
dr. strangelove

Liked in: 69 posts
Title: fear and trembling

Postby muddyglass » Thu Mar 21, 2013 12:31 am

Food Eater lad wrote:John was also sad that so many comic fans, and even artists had no understanding of the history of comics. He said that its shame so many don't know the work of Milton Canif, Charles Biro, and Noel Sickles.

( he got me on that last one)

He also told me to watch Charlie Chapmen films, something I had to admit I never did. So he actually gave me homework.

I am buying a book for him, to thank him for his time, and I will give it to my coworker to give to him. I actually got tears in my eyes when I saw the autograph he did in my comic I brought with me. He laughed and said, "everyone has a better copy of Spider Man 39 then me."

that's pretty awesome! check out "the great dictator" when you get a chance. chaplin's speech at the end is very powerful.
master ra's al ghul wrote:we sacked rome, loaded trade ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground. every time a civilization reaches the pinnacle of its decadence, we return to restore the balance.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 191 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 9:17 am

Get him to post here, FEL! :D

ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo
Rorshach Test Subject

Liked in: 2 posts

Postby ThirtyFiveMinutesAgo » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:12 am

Thanks for sharing, Food Eater lad. I enjoyed reading about your experience.

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:35 am

FEL, you are my new hero! What a terrific experience!

Zenguru
Staff Writer

Liked in: 8 posts

Postby Zenguru » Sun Mar 24, 2013 4:47 am

Food Eater lad wrote:He also said that Ditko was one of the smartest people he ever met. But Steve and Stan constantly fought. Stan was always toning down Steve's political views in Spider Man which ticked off Steve. They fought so much that when Stan said that the Green Goblin was Harry's dad, Steve flipped and said it that in a city with millions of people why does everyone have to be connected to Peter Parker? Steve said it wasn't realistic. Stan told Steve that they didn't sell realism, and Steve walked. John said he didn't want to do Spider man, that he felt he was following Steve. He wanted to stay on Daredevil and make his own name. He said every month he was waiting to get fired.

I remember reading somewhere that Ditko flew into a rage when Lee made Osborn the Green Goblin. It definitely gave the relationship a deep personal edge for Spidey. But I'm curious to know how things would have worked out Ditko's way. I also read about Romita's hesitation to leave Daredevil and take on Spider-Man. Who knows what the Marvel of today would be like if Ditko stayed and Romita never left Daredevil?

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The Asylum