Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby covalesky » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:46 am

Finished the "Dorothy and the Wizard in OZ" from Marvel.

Awesome book. Great art, ant it got back the original vibe. Gonna review it in my blog soon.

Advertisement

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:50 pm

Here's what I bought today for $5:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 95 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm

I've always wanted to read Spend. Besides, that cover is great.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 840 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm

My comic store recently marked all of their used trades down to 50% off the cover price. They had the entire run of the Nightwing series mixed in but I decided against it...should I pick them up if they are still there when I go back this week?
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 292 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:52 pm

No. Instead, give all your money to me and I will invest it in some land in Nigeria.

Did I mention I am a prince?

:groucho:

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:19 pm

Arion wrote:I've always wanted to read Spend. Besides, that cover is great.

It's very, very funny. Fifty cents well spent.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:27 pm

Keb wrote:No. Instead, give all your money to me and I will invest it in some land in Nigeria.

Did I mention I am a prince?

:groucho:

Shut up and take my money! :P

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:41 am

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman vols. 1-3

Vol. 1: I liked this the most because it had the really great Reed Richards story. I also really liked Franklin's birthday party. I had no idea what "Nu-World" was so I was pretty detached from that story but overall I liked that this set up some core ideas for the series without bogging everyone down in silliness like continuity and BS (other than Nu-World which I just had to look up). The neatest part was seeing all the different Reed Richards hanging out. Reed totally would hang out with himself.

Vol. 2: Was just as cool, if not cooler, than vol 1. I really liked how each one-n-done story set up each of the 4 cities while also building the plot of what will happen (I know it's going to happen). I also liked that Ben saved those moloid children. Everything is building slowly and I like that. I also liked that Valeria was taking notes on her little tablet thingy. I wish there was more of that throughout the series so far.

Vol. 3: A little less cool but I liked the future/past story with Nathaniel Richards and DOOM! The story about the toy store was fun and neat. I really enjoy how Hickman is able to make this series scientific and all serious but also make it fun and family-oriented.The only thing that feels weird is the art on this. I don't really like that Edwards artist guy (maybe it's his inker, I dunno). Really enjoying the idea of Future Foundation and I like the way Reed dissed all those old science dudes at the conference.

Off to read Vol. 4 and then FF vol 1 and 2!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:17 am

I hated the issue with Reed and the scientific community, it's one of my least favorite single issue comics of all time.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:24 am

Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman vol 4

Johnny Storm... DANG! That was really good. The silent issue was good especially when Thing started beating up Hulk and Thor. I was expecting the war of four cities but I guess I'll have to wait. I liked that Doom was nice to Valeria but it would have been great if he had his servant bring her some cookies.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:42 pm

Fables v.17: Inherit the Wind – I have volume 18 to read but I think I might be done with Fables after that. It wasn’t bad or anything but as I was reading I just wanted it to be over. I wanted to be reading something else. :smt102 The cubs storyline was kind of interesting.

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 82 posts

Postby misac » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:43 pm

Keb wrote:Fantastic Four by Jonathan Hickman vols. 1-3

Vol. 1: I liked this the most because it had the really great Reed Richards story. I also really liked Franklin's birthday party. I had no idea what "Nu-World" was so I was pretty detached from that story but overall I liked that this set up some core ideas for the series without bogging everyone down in silliness like continuity and BS (other than Nu-World which I just had to look up). The neatest part was seeing all the different Reed Richards hanging out. Reed totally would hang out with himself.

Vol. 2: Was just as cool, if not cooler, than vol 1. I really liked how each one-n-done story set up each of the 4 cities while also building the plot of what will happen (I know it's going to happen). I also liked that Ben saved those moloid children. Everything is building slowly and I like that. I also liked that Valeria was taking notes on her little tablet thingy. I wish there was more of that throughout the series so far.

Vol. 3: A little less cool but I liked the future/past story with Nathaniel Richards and DOOM! The story about the toy store was fun and neat. I really enjoy how Hickman is able to make this series scientific and all serious but also make it fun and family-oriented.The only thing that feels weird is the art on this. I don't really like that Edwards artist guy (maybe it's his inker, I dunno). Really enjoying the idea of Future Foundation and I like the way Reed dissed all those old science dudes at the conference.

Off to read Vol. 4 and then FF vol 1 and 2!

The Nu World was Millar’s bullshit.

Did you read Fantastic Four: Dark Reign? I think it starts off Hickman's run, it was pretty good too.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:47 pm

Nah I avoided everything Dark Reign

lol figures it was Millar's BS. I realized that Banner Jr. was from Old Man Logan.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:23 pm

FF vols 1 and 2

Vol 1 I liked but had beef with. I enjoyed that Spider-Man joined the team (Peter Parker at that). I liked that stuff happened but it felt like nothing happened. The lack of anything that moved us past the established storyline started to bug me. I understand Hickman is building a mountain but does he have to do it with one grain of sand at a time? Valeria is now starting to bother me too. The way she's always being coy is like when I try to get Phife ready for his walk, very annoying. Still I liked the art and though Sue, Spidey and Alex fighting the moloids and fishy men was cool.

Vol 2 made everything a bit more confusing. The story about black bolt and the kree was crap because that artist is crap. It wasn't even that interesting. The throwdown at the evolutionary city was the best part. The two part build up at the end was pretty annoying though. Just get to it already! A much as I don't want to call it decompression, it's starting to feel like it.

Glad I got F4 vol 5 and FF vol 3 in the mail today.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:13 pm

Since we were buried underneath a mountain of March snow on Sunday and I had yesterday off, I decided to sit down and finally finish reading The Flash Geoff Johns Omnibus Vol. 2. When I started reading this collection, I was a little impatient to get to the Zoom story and I forgot just how much I really missed not only Wally West but his supporting cast as well. Although I wouldn't say that Johns was able to touch Robinson's work on Starman and Opal City, Johns did a great job of bringing both Keystone and Central City to life. Even though I am enjoying the current Flash series, I really miss characters like Detectives Morillo and Chrye, Goldface, and even a pre-Zoom Hunter Zolomon. Hell, I miss the idea of all of the speedsters getting together regularly as one big happy family! By the end of the book, I was almost as heartbroken for Wally and Linda as they were. Having experienced that type of loss last year, it really made Wally even more relatable to me and even though I read the books when they were originally released, I want to track down the third volume and continue to follow Wally's path one more time.
ImageImageImage

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand