Advertisement

Valiant Announces Quantum & Woody

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 205 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:53 am

Valiant returns to the World's Worst Superhero Team this July!

Source: Press Release

As teases last week, our friends at Valiant are going to be bringing back fan-favorite buddy-comedy book Quantum & Woody, with the creative team of James Asmus and Tom Fowler. 

While many fans are probably wishing for a Quantum & Woody book that features creators Christopher Priest and MD Bright, Asmus and Fowler make for an intriguing team. Asmus has already displayed a knack for deep, thoughtful storytelling that mixes in humor and ideas in equal measure, and Fowler is one of the most underappreciated artists in comics right now. This looks like it could be a real winner for The Flyin' V. We're down. 

Anyway, read the press release below and see a couple of pages from the upcoming revival. 

JAMES ASMUS and TOM FOWLER Bring on QUANTUM AND WOODY #1 in July!

On July 10th, a new era begins for the world's worst superhero team in Quantum and Woody #1!

Valiant is proud to announce that award-winning writer James Asmus (Gambit, Thief of Thieves, Captain America & Bucky) and acclaimed artist Tom Fowler (Venom, Hulk: Season One) are bringing Valiant's first full-on superhero team back to the Valiant Universe with an all-new ongoing series beginning on July 10th in Quantum and Woody #1!

Once upon a time, Eric and Woody Henderson were inseparable. Adopted brothers. Best friends. Brilliant minds. Years later, they are estranged siblings, petty rivals, and washed-up failures. But when their father’s murder leads them into the throes of a life-altering scientific accident, Eric and Woody will find themselves with a whole new purpose – and a perfectly legitimate reason to wear costumes and fight crime. Go big or go home, folks! Quantum and Woody are coming! And the action-packed, zeitgeist-shredding exploitation stunt comic you demanded is here at last. 

(And, yes, there will be a goat too. Eventually.)

"Quantum and Woody are one of the most beloved superhero duos in comics. There's a rich history to draw on here and we have some very exciting things on deck for Quantum and Woody in 2013 and beyond," said Valiant Executive Editor Warren Simons.

"Since the day X-O Manowar #1 hit shelves, everywhere we've turned, fans have been demanding that Quantum and Woody step back into the spotlight," said Quantum and Woody Editor Jody LeHeup. "James, Tom and Jordie are delivering a smart, heart-filled take on the team that will be central to the new Valiant Universe, and one that honors the spirit and bravado of what came before."

Launched by Christopher Priest and M.D. Bright for Acclaim Entertainment's rebooted Valiant Universe in 1997, Quantum and Woody became one of the most beloved independent superhero titles of the decade, spawning a rabid and loyal following that endures to this day. Most recently, Valiant Entertainment re-issued the entirety of the original series for the first time digitally via comiXology

"In all of comics, there's no other book that mixed style and substance quite like Quantum and Woody. I was willing to literally kill someone for the chance to write the relaunch for the new Valiant Universe. I might have. Those first days after I got the call are a blur. But Quantum and Woody isn't (just) a superhero book – it's action-comedy, it's family drama, it's a boys-meet-goat tale that tugs at the heartstrings," said writer James Asmus.

On July 10th, the Valiant Universe's most infamous duo enter the fray with writer James Asmus, artist Tom Fowler and colorist Jordie Bellaire in Quantum and Woody #1 – featuring a standard cover by Ryan Sook, a Pullbox Exclusive Variant by Marcos Martin for customers who pre-order with the their local retailer, an incentive variant byAndrew Robinson, and an interactive QR Voice Variant by Tom Fowler (with real talking goat action)!

For more information of Quantum and Woody and the rest of the Valiant Universe, visit Valiant on Facebook, on Twitter, and at ValiantUniverse.com.

QUANTUM & WOODY #1
Written by JAMES ASMUS
Art by TOM FOWLER
Cover by RYAN SOOK
Pullbox Exclusive Variant by MARCOS MARTIN
Variant Cover by ANDREW ROBINSON
QR Voice Variant by TOM FOWLER
$3.99/T+/32 pgs.
ON SALE JULY 10th!

Written or Contributed by Royal Nonesuch

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 54 posts
Title: Shitlord

Re: Valiant Announces Quantum & Woody

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:42 am

I've been picking up the Valiant stuff in trades, but I may actually check out this one in singles.

I love the Martin variant.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Liked in: 5 posts
Title: Bear du jour

Postby Chesscub » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:52 pm

QR cover with "Real talking goat action". God I'm going to have to track that down. :lol:

I hope this is being done with the blessing of Priest and Bright. From what I recall they own at least a piece of it.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 12:55 pm

Chesscub wrote:QR cover with "Real talking goat action". God I'm going to have to track that down. :lol:

I hope this is being done with the blessing of Priest and Bright. From what I recall they own at least a piece of it.

From the interview at CBR it looks like Priest is working with Valiant on getting those unreleased issues of the original series actually out there.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:01 pm

Punchy wrote:
From the interview at CBR it looks like Priest is working with Valiant on getting those unreleased issues of the original series actually out there.

Excellent! Glad to hear that. :D

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 470 posts
Title: All the good ones were taken
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:02 pm

Cool, I may just have to pick up a Valiant title now.

LOLtron wrote:Asmus has already displayed a knack for deep, thoughtful storytelling

Well forget it then! :x
ImageImageImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:03 pm

Chesscub wrote:
Excellent! Glad to hear that. :D

I just hope the usual comics crusaders don't try and stir up some controversy because Priest is a black guy and he's been replaced by a white guy, you know it's coming.

Chesscub
WTF is this rank?

Postby Chesscub » Tue Mar 26, 2013 1:04 pm

Punchy wrote:
I just hope the usual comics crusaders don't try and stir up some controversy because Priest is a black guy and he's been replaced by a white guy, you know it's coming.

Well noogie on them.

GOSD
Everybody lies!

Liked in: 194 posts
Title: Lick me!
Formerly: Ghost of Scooterdoom

Postby GOSD » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:23 pm

No Priest and Bright? :?

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 271 posts

Postby Draco x » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:41 pm

Valiant keeps looking more and more appealing.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 65 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:17 pm

We have a couple things up in the air with Chris, and we're pulling to circle back and solidify them now that we have the new series up and running in a place we're happy about.

Priest mentioned on his blog that there are a number of unseen issues of "Quantum and Woody" that were never released. Now that Valiant has started to roll out some of the older issues on comiXology and considering this new series has been announced, are there plans to make use of that older, unreleased material?

Shamdasani: You know what, they're really, really great issues. We've all read them in the office and we love them. We've thrown around a number of really cool ideas for them. There are a couple issues as well that are in various stages of production. Let me put it this way -- I mentioned we were talking to Chris about an exciting project, and it's very similar to what we're talking about right now. So yeah, we have big plans for those.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page ... e&id=44482

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 364 posts
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:30 pm

GOSD wrote:No Priest and Bright? :?

Sadly it wasn't going to have Priest no matter what. He's pretty much quit comics at this point from what I understand. :-(

Thank you Troy for the sig

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 271 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:16 pm

I wish Quantum would get his cape back as that made him look badass.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand