Advertisement

Fantastic Four #5AU out WTF's DC's WTF Month Before It Begins.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:12 am

The Thing reveals a secret connected to the FF's past that could cause trouble in the future.

Source: Bleeding Cool

It’s not quite WTF month yet, but Marvel may have already out-WTFed DC even before it starts. In Fantastic Four #5AU (an Age of Ultron tie-in) The FF return to Earth to help join the other Marvel Heroes’ fight for survival against Ultron, and they leave Reed and Sue Richard’s kids, Franklin and Valeria, back in space for their protection. (What could possible go wrong with that?)

(SPOILER!  At this point you might want to stop reading now if you don’t want you reading enjoyment spoiled? Of course, we know better than that, do we? You’re just like any kid in Willie Wonka’s Chocolate Factory not named Charle, and we both know it.)

Before heading off, the team records messages for the kids. The one The Thing leaves the kids is the WTF moment, as he confesses about something that happened back in his and Reed’s college days involving their other college “buddy,” Victor Von Doom.

If you recall, Dr. Doom was conducting forbidden experiments in his dorm room trying to contact the netherworld. Or at least he was, until one of his experiments blew up in his face, scarring him for life. Inexplicably, Doom blamed Reed for the incident, resulting in years of trials and tribulations for the FF.  Did Big Ben just confess to being the one truly responsible for Dr. Doom’s facial scarring?  Could it be too much of a humdinger for the rest of the FF if they ever found out?

Another theory: It’s been suggested (Notably in What If? vol. 1 #6) that the Fantastic Four’s powers were manifestations of their personalities, with Ben Grimm’s transformation into the Thing a result of his presumably gruff (and yes, grim) demeanor. If he was responsible for the accident, could some lingering regret be responsible for his transformation into his rocky, monstrous form?

Maybe it’s too soon to see if this goes anywhere, but it does have a lot of implications to where writer Matt Fraction plans to head in the future.

Written or Contributed by Juan Cena

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Re: Fantastic Four #5AU out WTF's DC's WTF Month Before It B

Postby chap22 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:21 am

i'm torn on this. the fan of story inside me thinks this could lead to some very interesting reading involving my favorite Marvel character, the rest of his team, and their greatest enemy.

the continuity nut inside me however thinks this is ridiculous, and really cheapens a lot of what makes Doom's origin so great, namely that he made one scientific mistake, mirroring Reed's one mistake with the cosmic rays, which led to his transformation from student to supervillain. it was this mistake, not tampering from some outside source, which led to his "scarring", which caused his pride to lead to more scarring, etc. and it was Reed's attempt to correct Doom's mistake, or at least inform him and let him correct it, which first showed Doom's pride in refusing to believe it. Doom's downfall, as it has always been and as it should always be, was primarily due to his own doing...not due to some immature prank caused by Ben Grimm.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 414 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:25 am

Nice way to scar the psyches of your God-children, Ben :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 301 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:26 am

Simple enough, though. You just have to reveal that Doom, being not an idiot, noticed the tampering five to his experiment, fixed it up, and boom. You still have room for his own mistake to cause everything, AND you get the story room to play with Grimm's guilt.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 88 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:28 am

I think this is a cool retcon and one that makes sense.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:32 am

Lord Simian wrote:Simple enough, though. You just have to reveal that Doom, being not an idiot, noticed the tampering five to his experiment, fixed it up, and boom. You still have room for his own mistake to cause everything, AND you get the story room to play with Grimm's guilt.

if that's where Fraction goes with it, my conflict will be most amicably resolved. anything other than that, and we're gonna have problems...

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:34 am

I don't like this at all.

This is why I dropped both FF comics 2 issues ago.

Hab

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:39 am

I'm glad that Fraction is ignoring that the Fantastic Four actually met God (in the form of Jack Kirby).

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 364 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:42 am

What if Doom fixing Ben's tampering turns out to be what went wrong?

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby chap22 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:47 am

BlueMole wrote:I'm glad that Fraction is ignoring that the Fantastic Four actually met God (in the form of Jack Kirby).

i'm glad i'm now ignoring you. good day, sir.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:48 am

LOLtron wrote:(SPOILER!  At this point you might want to stop reading now if you don’t want you reading enjoyment spoiled? Of course, we know better than that, do we? You’re just like any kid in Willie Wonka’s Chocolate Factory not named Charle, and we both know it.)

Well, in Gene Wilder's version, Charlie and his grandpa stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks... and they didn't even get an amusing Oompa Loompa song for their troubles! They LOST!! GOOD DAY, SIR!! :P

Before heading off, the team record messages for the kids. The one The Thing leaves the kids is the WTF moment, as he confesses about something that happened back in his and Reed’s college days involving their other college “buddy,” Victor Von Doom.  

If you recall, Dr. Doom was conducting forbidden experiments in his dorm room trying to contact the neteherworld. Or at least he was until one of his experiments blew up in his face, scarring him for life. Inexplicably, Doom blamed Reed on the incident, resulting in years of trials and tribulations for the FF.  Did Big Ben just confess to being the one truly responsible for Dr. Doom’s facial scarring?  Could it be too much of a humdinger for the rest of the FF if they ever found out?

Another theory: It’s been suggested (Notably in What If? vol. 1 #6) that the Fantastic Four’s powers were manifestations of their personalities, with Ben Grimm’s transformation into the Thing a result of his presumably gruff (and yes, grim) demeanor. If he was responsible for the accident, could some lingering regret be responsible for his transformation into his rocky, monstrous form?

Maybe it’s too soon to see if this goes anywhere, but it does have a lot of implications to where writer Matt Fraction plans to head in the future.

Written or Contributed by Juan Cena

Wham Episode! :twisted:

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 364 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am

George Michael tampered with Doom's experiment?

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:56 am

chap22 wrote:i'm glad i'm now ignoring you. good day, sir.

:oops:

That was supposed to be sarcasm.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 357 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am

Keb wrote:George Michael tampered with Doom's experiment?

Sure, Why Not? :smt102

:P

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1065 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:57 am

Keb wrote:George Michael tampered with Doom's experiment?

You don't suppose that this all started because Doom asked Ben to "wake me up before you go" and instead Ben let him sleep, do you?

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand