Advertisement

Marvel Explains Richard Rider's Absence in Marvel NOW!

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 142 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:09 pm

Marvel explained that parent company Disney was uncomfortable with the character's name.

Source: ThanosCopter Newswire

During a phone conference with Marvel COO Joe Quesada and Disney CEO, the frozen head of Walt Disney, an assembled crowd of fictional journalists learned the real reason why Richard Rider had been killed off.

"Listen, we don't want to be DC," said Quesada. "And string along fans for years about whether or not their favorites are coming back. As long as Disney owns Marvel, the character is off the table."

When asked why the character was staying dead, Quesada blushed. "Well, you see....Disney just doesn't want a character named Dick Rider," he stammered. "

"It's vulgar and inappropriate," added Disney via a robotic speakerbox underneath the dome holding his head.

Of course, the assembled crowd of journalists didn't like that explanation one bit.  "He's never been called that in the comics!" shouted one journalist angrily.

"I like Dick Rider!" said another. "It sounds like someone I like to know."

"We prefer that all sexual references in our properties be a little less blatant," said Disney. "Have the word 'sex' spelled out in a cloud of smoke, hide some massive penises on a DVD cover, or spend 70 years producing animated shorts featuring an angry duck with a speech impediment that never wears pants. Calling a character 'Dick Rider' is just too extreme."

"What about if they changed Dick Rider into a girl?" asked another journalist. "Would it be okay then?"

"That was the first thing we tried," said Quesada.  "But Disney just doesn't want Dick Riders as part of their company."

"We suggested that Marvel consider changing the character into something less offensive, such as an anthropomorphic crow that exemplifies the worst racial stereotypes about black people," Disney's head explained. "But we couldn't come to an agreement, so we ended up with Sam Alexander instead."

"The bottom line is, Disney is about wholesome family entertainment," Walt concluded, before encouraging everyone to go see Disney stars Selina Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in their new movie, Spring Breakers.

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 188 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Marvel Explains Richard Rider's Absence in Marvel NOW!

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:23 pm

"It's vulgar and inappropriate," added Disney via a robotic speakerbox underneath the dome holding his head.

Disney: Proud sponsor of Wanda's magical universe-spawning vagina of light that created "House Of M" :lol:

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Draco x
FROGMAN

Liked in: 194 posts

Postby Draco x » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:27 pm

This is golden. I wish I had came up with this one. :D :D :D

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 587 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:28 pm

In any event: :smt011
ImageImageImage

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 28 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:33 pm

Grayson, you're not sure if an article about Walt Disney's reanimated head talking about turning Nova into a crow caricature is a joke?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 527 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:34 pm

BlueMole wrote:Grayson, you're not sure if an article about Walt Disney's reanimated head talking about turning Nova into a crow caricature is a joke?

That's the world we live in.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 587 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:36 pm

BlueMole wrote:Grayson, you're not sure if an article about Walt Disney's reanimated head talking about turning Nova into a crow caricature is a joke?

:oops:

It's just that ThanosCopter is usually such a paragon of journalistic integrity that it's hard to differentiate between when he/she is being serious or sarcastic. Besides, we all know that the part about Disney's reanimated head and racism is fact. :P
ImageImageImage

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 188 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:55 pm

-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

3MJ

Liked in: 59 posts

Postby 3MJ » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm

As a person named Dick Twigg I find this article massively offensive.

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 393 posts
Title: The Show Starts In 2 Minutes
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:34 pm

LOLtron wrote:"I like Dick Rider!" said another. "It sounds like someone I like to know."

I thought Jude wasn't invited to the event?

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 57 posts

Postby Lord Ice » Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:40 pm

Isn't Dick Rider the pet name that Marvel/Disney call the fans who buy and watch everything they sell them?

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand