Monday, December 5, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Fantastic Four #5AU out WTF's DC's WTF Month Before It Begins.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I don't believe in Hawkeye. I am a Hawkeye atheist.


Image
Which is funny because Hawkeye doesn't believe in atheism.
User avatar

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I don't believe in Hawkeye. I am a Hawkeye atheist.

Bro, is really really good, bro. You should read it, bro.
User avatar

Lord Simian

The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 am

Grayson wrote:
Makes sense to me. In fact, it all makes sense now! :shock:

The Fantastic Four first went into space in November 1961. The Professor left for a "three hour tour" in September 1964. Sounds to me like the Professor not only caused Ben's condition but he also sabotaged the S.S. Minnow as a way to "disappear" in order to escape the possibility of Ben Grimm learning the truth and extracting revenge! He was never actually trying to leave the island. Diabolical!


That WOULD explain why he could build a golf cart, complete with internal combustion engine, out of coconut shells, leaves, and vines... But couldn't patch the Minnow's hull or even build a fucking raft...
User avatar

TheSecondLex

cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Punchy wrote:Squiddles, you still haven't answered my question about why you didn't follow Hickman over to the Avengers titles.


Best decision you can make in a world where Hickman is no longer writing the FF.


I dunno. Fraction...kinda bugs me. Like Supernintendo Chompers and Principal Skinner.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

Awful - just awful.

While it can quickly be explained away that Ben altered Von Doom's recipe for chicken soup rather than a pandimensional thingamabob (like he could have told the difference anyway), this really is a silly thing for Ben to feel guilty about.

The notion that this is why he became the Thing is just as silly. If you want fanfic to explain it, then why not just say that Ben became the Thing because he feared the Cosmic Rays (Fantastic Four #1 (1961) page 9 panel 1) and so he made sure his spacesuit had heavier shielding in it than the others. Once they got blasted, he was hit with a smaller dose because of the shielding. The others maintained full control over their transformations over the years because they received the full dose. Had Ben wore the same kind of suit he could have changed into the Thing at will from the very beginning.

So for all the times he's given Reed grief over not being able to cure him, Ben's known all along that he's responsible.

So there, the same type of confession that does not lessen another character at all.

And Ben's timing - ugh. He's never left behind this confession before despite the billion times he's walked into certain death situations. Why now? Why burden two kids who were just abandoned by their family with this? This is a dickish thing to do - and Ben's not a dick.

But since his confession is now on the printed page, how long before Sue and Wolverine go back in time to kill Ben for creating Doom? (that is the kewl way of dealing with things now right?)

:roll:
User avatar

Sunless

crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am

I like Reed as an Atheist. Still can't relate to him though, I don't have a stretchable penis.
User avatar

IvCNuB4

Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 am

Amoebas wrote:how long before Sue and Wolverine go back in time to kill Ben for creating Doom? (that is the kewl way of dealing with things now right?)

:roll:



And somehow Sue will walk away as Mother Frickin' Teresa while Wolverine will be reviled as a murderer and will become prey in the 12-issue maxi-series "The Marvel Universe Hunt For Wolverine" ! :lol:

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

What is with the words "kewl" being used so unnecessarily here.

Time travelling to solve an issue has been an idea that's been used in comics for literally decades. As has the idea of killing characters to stop something awful happening. I applaud comics placing our heroes in more adult scenarios, sometimes facing impossible decisions and having to find a way out
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 am

Amoebas wrote:Awful - just awful.

While it can quickly be explained away that Ben altered Von Doom's recipe for chicken soup rather than a pandimensional thingamabob (like he could have told the difference anyway), this really is a silly thing for Ben to feel guilty about.

The notion that this is why he became the Thing is just as silly. If you want fanfic to explain it, then why not just say that Ben became the Thing because he feared the Cosmic Rays (Fantastic Four #1 (1961) page 9 panel 1) and so he made sure his spacesuit had heavier shielding in it than the others. Once they got blasted, he was hit with a smaller dose because of the shielding. The others maintained full control over their transformations over the years because they received the full dose. Had Ben wore the same kind of suit he could have changed into the Thing at will from the very beginning.

So for all the times he's given Reed grief over not being able to cure him, Ben's known all along that he's responsible. [
So there, the same type of confession that does not lessen another character at all./quote]



Having a hard time with that one. You'd think a lesser dose wouldn't have mutated him so radically different from the others.

And that wasn't my theory. It was one Roy Thomas put out that the FF's psyches influenced what powers they received




Maybe he felt like he needed to apologize to the kids for what Doom did to them sending them to Hell, as he felt responsible for it?
But since his confession is now on the printed page, how long before Sue and Wolverine go back in time to kill Ben for creating Doom? (that is the kewl way of dealing with things now right?)

:roll:


Or maybe just go back in the past to stop Ben, then finding out it WASN'T really Ben's fault?

(Note: Obligatory request for a Reply so this gets through Amoebas' force field.)
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

Jubilee wrote:What is with the words "kewl" being used so unnecessarily here.

Time travelling to solve an issue has been an idea that's been used in comics for literally decades. As has the idea of killing characters to stop something awful happening. I applaud comics placing our heroes in more adult scenarios, sometimes facing impossible decisions and having to find a way out

Because Marvel has forever had the rule that if you change the past you create a new timeline - you do not change the reality that the traveler is from.

Image

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 am

But that rule has also been changed numerous times. I mean at this point there has been dozens of stories that have worked the other way.
User avatar

Zero

Zombie Guard

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 am

Worst Thing writing: This or his speech about Sentry in that Siege epilogue funeral issue?
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am

Jubilee wrote:But that rule has also been changed numerous times. I mean at this point there has been dozens of stories that have worked the other way.

Hence my use of 'kewl' - where many of today's writers change things because it works for their story - not the characters or universe those characters exist in.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 am

It's ridiculous to try and apply rules or logic to time-travel.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am

Amoebas wrote:Hence my use of 'kewl' - where many of today's writers change things because it works for their story - not the characters or universe those characters exist in.


That's not cool. That's basic storytelling 101. I think the general idea is that you write the best story you can, irregardless of what has come before. Who gives a shit about minor continuity like this? Like honestly. Things change in comics constantly, getting hung up over petty details like how time travel should actually change things is silly.

The reason Age of Ultron is crap is because it's cliched, slow and hasn't done a good job of portraying any sense of gravitas to the current situation. Not because it messes with how Hawkeye was portrayed 30 years ago or what it means in contrast to other time travel stories.

The best stories in Marvel's history have paid fast and loose with what has come before. Look at how Bucky has been used in the 60's and now. Look at Clareont's X-men run. Just let it go Amobeas!

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Draco x, FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot] and 71 guests