Advertisement

Arrow Annotations - "Salvation"

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 167 posts

Arrow Annotations - "Salvation"

Postby LOLtron » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 am

Arrow Annotations -

A look at the Easter eggs found in last night's Arrow episode.

Wondering what comic references you missed in last night's episode?  Luckily Arrow Annotations is here to help, providing some additional notes and background info from last night’s episode. Arrow spoilers follow!  

John Nichols – To the best of my knowledge, there’s no link to any comic book characters or creators here.

Glades Betrayed - Yup, this is an actual website, one that appears to have been set up the week before as a countdown to this week’s episode.  However, with the exception of Roy, it looks like there aren’t any other references to the comics in it.

Joseph Falk – “The Savior” doesn’t have ties to any existing DC characters, and his name doesn’t really ring any bells.  There is Lee Falk, the creator of The Phantom and Mandrake the Magician, but he never did any work for DC.  There’s also a character named Sadie Falk, the sister of one Starman and lover of another, but I really doubt there’s any connection there either. 

So yeah, chances are there aren’t any real ties here.

Starling City Rockets – The Star City Rockets are the fictional National League Baseball team of Star City, who play in Papp Stadium.  Papp Stadium is named for George Papp, one of Green Arrow’s co-creators. 

Gavin Carnahan – No ties to anything once again.  WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME, ARROW WRITERS?

Blood on her hands – There’s a Shakespearean undertone to Moira trying to clean Frank Chen’s blood off her hands.  In Macbeth, Lady Macbeth famously cries out “Out, damned spot!” when trying to get her dog, Spot, out of her bedroom.  (Okay, not really.)  She was referring to the blood of King Duncan, whose murder she arranged. 

Moira's story definitely rings of a Shakespearean tragedy.  Her role in her husband’s death is still unclear, she definitely was involved with Walter’s kidnapping and she shot her son (although she didn’t know it). If she is a Shakespearean character, chances are she's going to die in the not too distant future. 

Central City – Finally, a real comic book reference!  Central City is the home to Barry Allen, the second Flash, which is why Dinah says “I’ll be back in a flash”.   The city is usually shown to be located in Missouri, across the Kansas River from Keystone City, Kansas.  Keystone was previously mentioned in Legacies

Lyla Michaels - Over in the Arrow tie-in comic books, Lyla Michaels makes an appearance as a contact of Diggle’s.  In the comics, Lyla is better known as the Harbinger, who played a central role in Crisis on Infinite Earths.  She later became friends with Supergirl on Paradise Island and was killed by Darksied during an attack on the island. 

If you have $0.99 to spare, you should give the comic a read.  It fills in some of the show’s continuity (and features Diggle getting his revenge for the headlock of doom Ollie gave him in the pilot episode) and is drawn by Mike Grell, one of the creators who frequently gets mentioned in the show.   

And that's all I found this week.  There was a snatch of graffiti that I wanted to take a look at in the episode, so I might be updating this later. 

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 229 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Re: Arrow Annotations - "Salvation"

Postby IvCNuB4 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:43 am

Maybe ... John Nichol (no 'S') was the second Dr Polaris :?
-
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

e_galston
Staff Writer

Liked in: 327 posts
Formerly: Sitebreaker

Re: Arrow Annotations -

Postby e_galston » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:25 am

i LOVED the central city line..

my only issue with the episode is:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand
If one had read ANY news on this show, they'd know that Roy was gonna be a series regular next year. So they knew damn well there'd be no way in hell he'd be killed.

MrMimicker
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Re: Arrow Annotations -

Postby MrMimicker » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:16 pm

I noticed Diggle mentioned a subway station or place in starling city called Loxley. Loxley, South Yorkshire, is claimed to be the birth place of robin hood.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The Asylum