Advertisement

Age of Ultron #3 Bendis is back to his old tricks(spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 395 posts

Re: Age of Ultron #3 Bendis is back to his old tricks(spoile

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:42 pm

HNutz wrote:So far, I've heard that Black Panther breaks his neck by tripping on some stairs, got "Gwen Stacy'ed" and/or "didn't land on his feet". What ACTUALLY happened, and is it more hilarious or sad? Descriptions I've heard could go either way.

I hope they don't kill BP. I really hope not.

Advertisement

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:43 pm

chap22 wrote:Bro, it's Punchy, bro. That bro is not bros with logic or good taste, bro.

I have the best taste ever bro.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:45 pm

Punchy wrote: frankly, I never noticed the whole 'never kill' part of his character, to me, that's more of a Spider-Man thing, or a Daredevil thing when he's contrasted with the Punisher.

then you clearly never read any 80s Avengers or West Coast Avengers. "Avengers don't kill" was practically his battle cry.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 174 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:46 pm

Punchy wrote:
I have the best taste ever bro.

Bro, you do not, bro.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Black Panther died by tripping down stairs?

A guy with heighted cat like agility and reflexes got killed by losing his footing and fucking falling down stairs?

That's is stupid. That is amazingly mind boggingly stupid. It makes the way he first killed Hawkeye brillant in comparison.

Don't worry, BP, will be brought back at some point and hopefully this god awful crossover is retconned out of existence( Wishful thinking on my part).

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:47 pm

chap22 wrote:then you clearly never read any 80s Avengers or West Coast Avengers. "Avengers don't kill" was practically his battle cry.

Nope, I didn't, because I wasn't born then. But I did read Busiek's Avengers and Thunderbolts, and it didn't stick in my mind.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:49 pm

draco x wrote:
Don't worry, BP, will be brought back at some point and hopefully this god awful crossover is retconned out of existence( Wishful thinking on my part).

It's pretty obvious that Age Of Ultron is an alternate reality like Age Of Apocalypse or Rotworld.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Thu Mar 28, 2013 2:51 pm

Punchy wrote:
It's pretty obvious that Age Of Ultron is an alternate reality like Age Of Apocalypse or Rotworld.

And hopefully it stays that way when the event wraps up.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1131 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:19 pm

Punchy wrote:I just thought it was funny when Cyclops kind of turned him around and had him blaming Iron Man.

Agreed. Besides, it was Iron Man's fault. :P

Look, I was a big pre-Bendis Hawkeye fan, he was my favourite part of Busiek's Avengers and the reason why I love the Thunderbolts, but I see no problem with his development. It stands to reason in my eyes that once Clint had been killed and came back to life himself, he would have a different perspective and be OK with killing people, especially with all of the dark stuff that happened.

The guy's only superpower is that he uses a weapon that is designed to kill, it makes sense, and frankly, I never noticed the whole 'never kill' part of his character, to me, that's more of a Spider-Man thing, or a Daredevil thing when he's contrasted with the Punisher.

I'm not going to debate about whether or not Hawkeye should kill or shouldn't kill. That is a completely different issue. The problems that I have with the way that Bendis writes Hawkeye can pretty much be summed up in the interaction he had with Scott Summers from the latest issue of Uncanny X-Men. Hawkeye, a member of the Avengers, decides to take it upon himself to threaten to put an arrow between Scott's eyes in the middle of the day while people are watching. He made it perfectly clear to the entire world that if Scott didn't surrender he would kill him. My problem with the way that Bendis writes Hawkeye is the fact that Bendis's Hawkeye doesn't think. We all know that Hawkeye can be pretty brash but as you pointed out, he doesn't have an actual superpower. Hawkeye needs to be smart, he needs to be able to think on his feet, and he needs to be able to adapt so that he can keep up and stand side by side with Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Otherwise, what is the difference between Clint Barton and any other man or woman who wants to throw on a costume and join the Avengers?
ImageImageImage

Punchy
Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:29 pm

Grayson wrote:
Agreed. Besides, it was Iron Man's fault. :P

I'm not going to debate about whether or not Hawkeye should kill or shouldn't kill. That is a completely different issue. The problems that I have with the way that Bendis writes Hawkeye can pretty much be summed up in the interaction he had with Scott Summers from the latest issue of Uncanny X-Men. Hawkeye, a member of the Avengers, decides to take it upon himself to threaten to put an arrow between Scott's eyes in the middle of the day while people are watching. He made it perfectly clear to the entire world that if Scott didn't surrender he would kill him. My problem with the way that Bendis writes Hawkeye is the fact that Bendis's Hawkeye doesn't think. We all know that Hawkeye can be pretty brash but as you pointed out, he doesn't have an actual superpower. Hawkeye needs to be smart, he needs to be able to think on his feet, and he needs to be able to adapt so that he can keep up and stand side by side with Earth's Mightiest Heroes. Otherwise, what is the difference between Clint Barton and any other man or woman who wants to throw on a costume and join the Avengers?

Hawkeye has always been a bit foolhardy, his way of trying to join the Avengers was by breaking into their Mansion and kidnapping their butler (I know Joe Casey retconned that a bit, but still).

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:38 pm

Hawkeye was different 30 years ago!! :smt086

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1131 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:51 pm

Punchy wrote:Hawkeye has always been a bit foolhardy, his way of trying to join the Avengers was by breaking into their Mansion and kidnapping their butler (I know Joe Casey retconned that a bit, but still).

I know that in the past, Hawkeye has been a bit foolhardy and I don't have a problem with it occasionally but Bendis' Hawkeye is always foolhardy. He is always making impetuous decisions. Bendis' Hawkeye never stops and thinks, he always just rushes blindly in to whatever dangerous situation that Bendis wants to put him in and usually his solution is always, I'm gonna kill it! He's a very flat, one dimensional character. Look at Fraction's Hawkeye. Yes, Fraction's Hawkeye is still a bit foolhardy but he is still smart about the way that he does things. There is absolutely no way that you could read "My Life as a Weapon" and say that Fraction's Hawkeye is one dimensional.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 385 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:09 pm

Jack Burton wrote:Black Panther died by tripping down stairs?

A guy with heighted cat like agility and reflexes got killed by losing his footing and fucking falling down stairs?

That's is stupid. That is amazingly mind boggingly stupid. It makes the way he first killed Hawkeye brillant in comparison.

:smt005

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:26 pm

Punchy wrote:

But is it really?

I mean we really want it to be, Marvel should have just not published it since it's super late, totally out of step, and well....just flat out bad so far.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 218 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:56 pm

Punchy wrote:
Yes, this is an alternate-reality.

Since this event has been telegraphed in other comics for the better part of a year it's pretty obviously not.

Are you reading the same comic as everyone else or was it too long ago for you to remember?

Hab

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand