Advertisement

Cyclops question

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

prozacman
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 13 posts
Title: Sir PopsPills Alot
Formerly: Darth Prozac

Re: Cyclops question

Postby prozacman » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:35 pm

Grayson wrote:

Call me crazy, but it doesn't really look like an ass is being handed. :smt102

Come to think of it, the majority of the X-Men have never really been the best when it comes to making their own decisions. :P
I think Cyclops decided to become the best hand to hand fighter he could be after Storm made him look like Thelma from Scooby Doo.

Seriously though, there was an issue a few years ago were Scott and Emma took a vacation to the savage land. There she described Scott's tactical thought process while he was fighting a Triceratops. He has found a way to incorporate his instinctive ability to reflect his eye beams off objects to make bank shots in to his fighting style. Basically the thought prosces that is hard wired for his mutant power is being repurposed for high speed combat strategy.

Though I also agree that since Cyclops is a leader, he takes his training a little more seriously than he would otherwise. I know that is usually the case for me when I am in a position of leadership or when I was teaching. Cyclops having to carry the resposibility of weather people live or die by his choices would definatly push him to want to be the best he could possibly be. Not for him self, but for his team and more ressently species.

Advertisement

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:04 pm

habitual wrote:
The last time I read a good Scott Summer's story, Whedon was writing it.

Hab

100% agreed.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 108 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:18 am

The last time I read a good Scott Summers story, Bendis was writing it.

And it was last week.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 231 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:17 am

Punchy wrote:The last time I read a good Scott Summers story, Bendis was writing it.

And it was last week.

Yes, but, the one consistency the internet has is your awful taste.

Hab

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:28 pm

Grayson wrote:
Cyclops is better than Wolverine so he always gets the better of him. :smt102

Correct if I'm wrong but Wolverine has years of combat experience over Scott. If my memory serves Logan has trained with the Hand and programmed to be a killer by the Weapon X. Not to mention the fact he has fought in various wars like WW2, Vietnam and such. Although Scott's a better tactician, Logan is better in a physical fight than the Scott.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:29 pm

draco x wrote:
Correct if I'm wrong but Wolverine has years of combat experience over Scott. If my memory serves Logan has trained with the Hand and programmed to be a killer by the Weapon X. Not to mention the fact he has fought in various wars like WW2, Vietnam and such. Although Scott's a better tactician, Logan is better in a physical fight than the Scott.

Logan will fight dirty, Scott will over think.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:32 pm

bkthomson wrote:Logan will fight dirty, Scott will over think.

Fair point. But I was just pointing out that Logan has much better physical feats than Scott due to the fact that he has had years of military and combat training-and this was even before he got the claws. Not saying that Scott couldn't find a way to outsmart Logan in a fight but I don't see Cyke being able to take him out so easily.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:37 pm

draco x wrote:
Fair point. But I was just pointing out that Logan has much better physical feats than Scott due to the fact that he has had years of military and combat training-and this was even before he got the claws. Not saying that Scott couldn't find a way to outsmart Logan in a fight but I don't see Cyke being able to take him out so easily.

With you on that Logan as the more practical knowledge and military experience plus Scott is well trained but not really trained to kill, though if your eyes could level a mountain and all you needed to do is look in a direction and blink you may not need much practical training.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:41 pm

bkthomson wrote:With you on that Logan as the more practical knowledge and military experience plus Scott is well trained but not really trained to kill, though if your eyes could level a mountain and all you needed to do is look in a direction and blink you may not need much practical training.

This is another point I would like to hammer on-Scott even though he can take care of himself in a fist fight, tends to rely on his powers for the most part. Heck if you remember that 90's X-Men cartoon where Scott lost his powers when he went to Skull Mesa, he didn't do so well against Solar, Toad and Snyder until he got this optic blasts back. Although to be fair, 90's toon Scott was a whiny douche for the most part.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:00 pm

draco x wrote:Correct if I'm wrong but Wolverine has years of combat experience over Scott. If my memory serves Logan has trained with the Hand and programmed to be a killer by the Weapon X. Not to mention the fact he has fought in various wars like WW2, Vietnam and such. Although Scott's a better tactician, Logan is better in a physical fight than the Scott.

You say that but you forgot to account for the fact that Wolverine is at least a foot and a half shorter than Scott, with enough emotional baggage to mentally traumatize anyone who has ever been an X-Man 3 times over. At this point, all you have to do to distract Wolverine is shout "Hey look, isn't that one of your children who you haven't killed yet?" and Wolverine will become distracted long enough to to be put down.

Besides, when I said that Cyclops is better than Wolverine, I was talking about fighting but I also meant all around.

Cyclops is better at running the school than Wolverine.

Cyclops is better at leading the X-Men than Wolverine.

Cyclops is better at banging red-heads than Wolverine. More specifically, Scott is better at banging Jean Grey and Jean Grey clones than Wolverine.

Cyclops is better at having kids than Wolverine. Yeah, most of Scott's kids come from or were sent to messed up futures but they are still alive.

Cyclops is better at not being defeated by strong magnets than Wolverine.

Cyclops is better at being Wolverine than Wolverine is. While Wolverine is busy running the school, Cyclops is now the black sheep of the X-Men, out doing the things that need to be done to keep the world safe for everyone...but still not stabbing children.

In fact, come to think of it, the only thing that Wolverine actually is better than Cyclops at is killing kids...so he's got that going for him. :smt102
ImageImageImage

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Postby Draco x » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:14 pm

Grayson wrote:
You say that but you forgot to account for the fact that Wolverine is at least a foot and a half shorter than Scott, with enough emotional baggage to mentally traumatize anyone who has ever been an X-Man 3 times over. At this point, all you have to do to distract Wolverine is shout "Hey look, isn't that one of your children who you haven't killed yet?" and Wolverine will become distracted long enough to to be put down.

Besides, when I said that Cyclops is better than Wolverine, I was talking about fighting but I also meant all around.

Cyclops is better at banging red-heads than Wolverine. More specifically, Scott is better at banging Jean Grey and Jean Grey clones than Wolverine.

Cyclops is better at having kids than Wolverine. Yeah, most of Scott's kids come from or were sent to messed up futures but they are still alive.

Cyclops is better at being Wolverine than Wolverine is. While Wolverine is busy running the school, Cyclops is now the black sheep of the X-Men, out doing the things that need to be done to keep the world safe for everyone...but still not stabbing children.

In fact, come to think of it, the only thing that Wolverine actually is better than Cyclops at is killing kids...so he's got that going for him. :smt102

Depends on what you mean when you say better:

Scott is a better leader, tactician and strategist than Wolverine and as for someone who is a fan of the Jean and Scott relationship, I do agree that Scott is better with women than Wolverine somewhat-as we all know that Wolverine is not the settling down type.

However as for who is better in a fistfight, I have to go with Wolverine due to the fact that one, Wolverine has taken punches from the Hulk, Thing, Gladiator, Thor, Sabretooth, Juggernaut and several others and can still walk. If Cyclops ever got hit by any of those guys without his powers to protect him, Cyclops is dead period. As I said before, if Cyclops can outsmart or outthink Wolverine in order to beat him but if Wolverine has it all together mentally, Scott's in trouble. And besides the size thing isn't relevant as look at Puck who is able to kick the ass of several people who are bigger than him.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1458 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 3:47 pm

draco x wrote:However as for who is better in a fistfight, I have to go with Wolverine due to the fact that one, Wolverine has taken punches from the Hulk, Thing, Gladiator, Thor, Sabretooth, Juggernaut and several others and can still walk. If Cyclops ever got hit by any of those guys without his powers to protect him, Cyclops is dead period.

Earlier you mentioned that in the past, Cyclops has relied a little too heavily on his powers. Wolverine can only take punches from guys like that because over the years he has been given a ridiculously over inflated healing factor. You want to talk about somebody relying on their powers, Wolverine is a prime example. If Wolverine didn't have his powers he would be in just as much trouble as Cyclops or anybody else who had the misfortune of being on the business end on a character like the Hulk's fists.

As I said before, if Cyclops can outsmart or outthink Wolverine in order to beat him but if Wolverine has it all together mentally, Scott's in trouble.

Wolverine loses his shit if he stubs his toe or if the wind blows from the wrong direction. Yes, he is a good fighter but part of being a great fighter is actually being able to maintain your composure and out think an opponent who may be more skilled than you. Yes, Wolverine may be more skilled when it comes to physical combat but Scott's tactical expertise is definitely in the top tier in the Marvel Universe. At the end of the day, while we have established the fact that there is no single precedent for where Cyclops gets the recognition that he does for being a great fighter, I would honestly say that people possibly attribute his ability to out think and out maneuver his opponent with his ability as a fighter.
ImageImageImage

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 254 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:18 pm

Grayson wrote:

:lol:

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby bkthomson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:45 pm

Ok, that is way to detailed debate on a fictional character. Good job.

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:04 pm

I just wonder if there's a nice middle ground between whiny, wife cheating Cyclops and total ass hat (yet supposedly bad ass), villainous Cyclops. What If...
Last edited by alaska1125 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand