Advertisement

Fantastic Four #5AU out WTF's DC's WTF Month Before It Begins.

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Re: Fantastic Four #5AU out WTF's DC's WTF Month Before It B

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:58 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
I don't believe in Hawkeye. I am a Hawkeye atheist.

Which is funny because Hawkeye doesn't believe in atheism.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Advertisement

chap22
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 175 posts
Title: Pretentious curmudgeon

Postby chap22 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:26 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
I don't believe in Hawkeye. I am a Hawkeye atheist.

Bro, is really really good, bro. You should read it, bro.
rdrsfn82 wrote:Chap is right.

john lewis wrote:I got nothing but respect for [Chap]

jsalwen wrote:You're the man, Chap.

DMM wrote:Chap knows what he's talking about.

MoneyMelon wrote:chap is right about pretty much everything

GOSD wrote:chap FTW!

Ntikrst wrote:Chap's right

oogy wrote:All those quotes in your sig ain't lying.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:30 am

Grayson wrote:
Makes sense to me. In fact, it all makes sense now! :shock:

The Fantastic Four first went into space in November 1961. The Professor left for a "three hour tour" in September 1964. Sounds to me like the Professor not only caused Ben's condition but he also sabotaged the S.S. Minnow as a way to "disappear" in order to escape the possibility of Ben Grimm learning the truth and extracting revenge! He was never actually trying to leave the island. Diabolical!

That WOULD explain why he could build a golf cart, complete with internal combustion engine, out of coconut shells, leaves, and vines... But couldn't patch the Minnow's hull or even build a fucking raft...

TheSecondLex
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: alexeiluthor

Postby TheSecondLex » Thu Mar 28, 2013 1:12 pm

Punchy wrote:Squiddles, you still haven't answered my question about why you didn't follow Hickman over to the Avengers titles.

Best decision you can make in a world where Hickman is no longer writing the FF.

I dunno. Fraction...kinda bugs me. Like Supernintendo Chompers and Principal Skinner.
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:54 am

Awful - just awful.

While it can quickly be explained away that Ben altered Von Doom's recipe for chicken soup rather than a pandimensional thingamabob (like he could have told the difference anyway), this really is a silly thing for Ben to feel guilty about.

The notion that this is why he became the Thing is just as silly. If you want fanfic to explain it, then why not just say that Ben became the Thing because he feared the Cosmic Rays (Fantastic Four #1 (1961) page 9 panel 1) and so he made sure his spacesuit had heavier shielding in it than the others. Once they got blasted, he was hit with a smaller dose because of the shielding. The others maintained full control over their transformations over the years because they received the full dose. Had Ben wore the same kind of suit he could have changed into the Thing at will from the very beginning.

So for all the times he's given Reed grief over not being able to cure him, Ben's known all along that he's responsible.

So there, the same type of confession that does not lessen another character at all.

And Ben's timing - ugh. He's never left behind this confession before despite the billion times he's walked into certain death situations. Why now? Why burden two kids who were just abandoned by their family with this? This is a dickish thing to do - and Ben's not a dick.

But since his confession is now on the printed page, how long before Sue and Wolverine go back in time to kill Ben for creating Doom? (that is the kewl way of dealing with things now right?)

:roll:

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:07 am

I like Reed as an Atheist. Still can't relate to him though, I don't have a stretchable penis.
Last edited by Sunless on Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 552 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:41 am

Amoebas wrote:how long before Sue and Wolverine go back in time to kill Ben for creating Doom? (that is the kewl way of dealing with things now right?)

And somehow Sue will walk away as Mother Frickin' Teresa while Wolverine will be reviled as a murderer and will become prey in the 12-issue maxi-series "The Marvel Universe Hunt For Wolverine" ! :lol:
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

3MJ

Liked in: 63 posts

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:48 am

What is with the words "kewl" being used so unnecessarily here.

Time travelling to solve an issue has been an idea that's been used in comics for literally decades. As has the idea of killing characters to stop something awful happening. I applaud comics placing our heroes in more adult scenarios, sometimes facing impossible decisions and having to find a way out

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 213 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:52 am

Amoebas wrote:Awful - just awful.

While it can quickly be explained away that Ben altered Von Doom's recipe for chicken soup rather than a pandimensional thingamabob (like he could have told the difference anyway), this really is a silly thing for Ben to feel guilty about.

The notion that this is why he became the Thing is just as silly. If you want fanfic to explain it, then why not just say that Ben became the Thing because he feared the Cosmic Rays (Fantastic Four #1 (1961) page 9 panel 1) and so he made sure his spacesuit had heavier shielding in it than the others. Once they got blasted, he was hit with a smaller dose because of the shielding. The others maintained full control over their transformations over the years because they received the full dose. Had Ben wore the same kind of suit he could have changed into the Thing at will from the very beginning.

So for all the times he's given Reed grief over not being able to cure him, Ben's known all along that he's responsible. [
So there, the same type of confession that does not lessen another character at all./quote]

Having a hard time with that one. You'd think a lesser dose wouldn't have mutated him so radically different from the others.

And that wasn't my theory. It was one Roy Thomas put out that the FF's psyches influenced what powers they received

Maybe he felt like he needed to apologize to the kids for what Doom did to them sending them to Hell, as he felt responsible for it?
But since his confession is now on the printed page, how long before Sue and Wolverine go back in time to kill Ben for creating Doom? (that is the kewl way of dealing with things now right?)

Or maybe just go back in the past to stop Ben, then finding out it WASN'T really Ben's fault?

(Note: Obligatory request for a Reply so this gets through Amoebas' force field.)

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:53 am

Jubilee wrote:What is with the words "kewl" being used so unnecessarily here.

Time travelling to solve an issue has been an idea that's been used in comics for literally decades. As has the idea of killing characters to stop something awful happening. I applaud comics placing our heroes in more adult scenarios, sometimes facing impossible decisions and having to find a way out

Because Marvel has forever had the rule that if you change the past you create a new timeline - you do not change the reality that the traveler is from.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:54 am

But that rule has also been changed numerous times. I mean at this point there has been dozens of stories that have worked the other way.

Zero
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 66 posts
Title: Last Man on Earth
Formerly: Armin Tamzarian

Postby Zero » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:57 am

Worst Thing writing: This or his speech about Sentry in that Siege epilogue funeral issue?

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:58 am

Jubilee wrote:But that rule has also been changed numerous times. I mean at this point there has been dozens of stories that have worked the other way.

Hence my use of 'kewl' - where many of today's writers change things because it works for their story - not the characters or universe those characters exist in.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:59 am

It's ridiculous to try and apply rules or logic to time-travel.

3MJ

Postby 3MJ » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 am

Amoebas wrote:Hence my use of 'kewl' - where many of today's writers change things because it works for their story - not the characters or universe those characters exist in.

That's not cool. That's basic storytelling 101. I think the general idea is that you write the best story you can, irregardless of what has come before. Who gives a shit about minor continuity like this? Like honestly. Things change in comics constantly, getting hung up over petty details like how time travel should actually change things is silly.

The reason Age of Ultron is crap is because it's cliched, slow and hasn't done a good job of portraying any sense of gravitas to the current situation. Not because it messes with how Hawkeye was portrayed 30 years ago or what it means in contrast to other time travel stories.

The best stories in Marvel's history have paid fast and loose with what has come before. Look at how Bucky has been used in the 60's and now. Look at Clareont's X-men run. Just let it go Amobeas!

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand