Advertisement

DC All Access Panel: WonderCon 2013

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 243 posts

Postby LOLtron » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:27 pm

DC's speakers included Ann Nocenti, Scott Snyder, James Robinson, Bryan Q. Miller, John Cunningham

Source: DC Blog / CBR

The DC Comics All Access Panel kicked off WonderCon 2013 with teases and tidbits of upcoming DC plans.

Scott Snyder on Batman: Year One: "It's something we've been dying to do for a very long time.Year One really wouldn't be able to stand with the current New 52 continuity. I had an origin story that I had been playing with in my mind and if I ever got to do one this is what it would be. I'm crazy proud of it and nervous about it and I hope you enjoy it."

Snyder also spoke about Superman Unchained, his project with Jim Lee.  "It's meant to be a classic Superman story but done in a new way." Snyder also said that Lee was doing things on the book artistically "that I've never seen him do."  DC showed an image by Lee on the screen for a splash page of Superman Unchained. The page is actually four pages together that fold-out into a larger page. It's a two-sided, four-page fold-out in the book.

On Harper Row and her role in the Batman universe, Snyder claims that she was not designed or meant to become the new Robin. Instead, she gives a grounded perspective of Gotham, much like characters in Gotham Central did.

James Robinson on Earth 2:  We'll see the return of Captain Steel. Robinson is starting to put together all the pieces for a big event at the end of next year, promising "a killer surprise -- no pun intended -- coming up in issue #17".
- There's an issue coming up where we'll see the first [tease] of Doctor Mid-Night.
- Robinson is planning to expand the diversity of Earth 2 as well, with Captain Steel as a Filipino superhero.
- Mister Miracle and Barda will also be a part of the series in the future.

- A new Batman would be introduced in the upcoming annual issue. "Another big piece is this new Batman who will be a big part of  Earth 2 and a big part of the DC Universe," said Robinson. "He'll be around forever."
- Robinson teased that the Earth 2 Fury is not Donna Troy and when you see who her father is it will blow your mind !

- They also teased  "stay tuned" for other publications in the Earth 2 universe.

Cover to Earth 2 Annual #1

Earth 2 Annual #1 artwork preview

Ann Nocenti on Catwoman: "The hard part of this stuff is that everything is a secret," said Nocenti, praising the work of series artist Rafa Sandoval. "I think that his approach to action is layered with -- sometimes it feels 'Three Stooges,' sometimes it's brutal and heart-wrenching. A lot of fun I'm having is just feeding off what Rafa is doing and heading down roads I think will visually inspire him."

She also added that it is "so much fun to start with Catwoman writing Joker stories. This character is also a part of Geoff Johns' Justice League of America and the idea that you're going to put her on a team where she's suddenly doing heroics -- it's a little odd."

Nocenti also spoke about her new series Katana, saying that she's did her research by going back to Kurosawa films and the '70s Japanese films that she loved.

Bryan Q Miller on Smallville Season 11:  The upcoming arc brings Kara back to the Smallville world. A Booster Gold mishap lands Clark in the 30th Century, noting the arc would also bring the Legion back and change Kara's traditional miniskirt costume. "Plus, pants, because she flies around."

A fan asked if the Doom Patrol would be making an appearance. John Cunningham (DC Markting) replied "sounds very interesting" and then would not say anything else on the matter.

Below are additional preview pages of artwork from Earth 2 Annual #1

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

misac
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 110 posts

Re: DC All Access Panel: WonderCon 2013

Postby misac » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:36 pm

So it is the real Mr. Miracle!

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 135 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:13 pm

misac wrote:So it is the real Mr. Miracle!

Or as real as you can get in the N52

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Pink_Orchid
The Virgin Connie Swail

Liked in: 116 posts
Formerly: Pink Peril

Postby Pink_Orchid » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:17 pm

For cryin' out loud, just put Supergirl in a skort.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 367 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 6:40 pm

Maybe they're giving her wardrobe options. :D

Also just updated some of the article items.
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 213 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:39 pm

Nothing I just read makes me happy at all.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

holtom2000
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 67 posts

Postby holtom2000 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:01 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Or as real as you can get in the N52

isn't that the truth. earth 2 might be well received by new fans, but it's still not much more than an elseworlds story to me. I'll take my classic JSA any day of the week thanks.

Paul Singam
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 170 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: DC All Access Panel: WonderCon 2013

Postby Paul Singam » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:20 am

How long is this latest Earth 2 storyline going to last for?

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 36 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:38 am

FBtron wrote:How long is this latest Earth 2 storyline going to last for?

Does not look like this is a storyline.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

Anti-Life Mike
SUSHI FISH

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Destroyer of Worlds
Formerly: Nobody

Postby Anti-Life Mike » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:30 pm

bkthomson wrote:Does not look like this is a storyline.

What do you mean? Is it an ongoing change that has been made to the DC Universe or what else would it be?? :smt102

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:16 pm

Maybe Paul Singham was asking how long will the focus be on Dr. Fate ?
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

Anti-Life Mike
SUSHI FISH

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Destroyer of Worlds
Formerly: Nobody

Postby Anti-Life Mike » Sun Mar 31, 2013 9:41 pm

IvCNuB4 wrote:Maybe Paul Singham was asking how long will the focus be on Dr. Fate ?

Yes that's exactly what I was asking.... :P

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 8:21 am

Based on the solicits and what Robinson said at the ECCC DC Panel, this arc wraps next month (#12) because then in #13 the focus shifts to the new Captain Steel.

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Postby IvCNuB4 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:15 am

Additional quotes from Robinson at WonderCon:

The one thing that I'm beginning to tell people now is that Earth 2 #13 … really is the beginning of all the pieces coming together for a big event at the end of next year. Obviously, everybody can guess that it's when these Earths are going to finally meet for the first time. Those pieces are starting to be laid in my book and you'll also see things happening in other books. Yes, I have this independence and I'm creating all these characters and creating this world, but I do have to be aware that it is a part of the DC Universe. Yes, I have freedom, but I do have to be mindful of what's going on in Justice League and various other books.

The new Batman of Earth 2 is very different. I'm saying this at every interview, I really want to stress that I was reading a message board … and they were guessing who this Batman was going to be, various names, and some guy said -- I thought it was a quite fair remark -- "I don't care who it is, I just don't want it to be one of those gimmicks where it's just a crazy guy for two issues and he just get killed off." We've seen that. Marvel and DC have both done it in the past and it's always a little bit unsatisfying. I just want to stress that this is a character that will be around permanently. He's not going anywhere, he's going to have a huge impact on Earth 2 and on the whole DC Universe. This is definitely a big character we're bringing into the DC world. This isn't a gimmick.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand