Tuesday, August 23, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "ISIS approved!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Review: Guardians of the Galaxy #1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:52 pm

Avengers Assemble was bad, first Bendis book I dropped.

I liked the 0.1 and this issue though.
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:04 pm

fieldy snuts wrote:Avengers Assemble was bad, first Bendis book I dropped.

I liked the 0.1 and this issue though.


I'm two months behind so we'll see. I'm pretty sure he changed Quill's origin though. I don't know if I still have my old Marvel Preview and Spotlights though.
User avatar

fieldy snuts

Rain Partier

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Mar 29, 2013 10:12 pm

sdsichero wrote:
I'm two months behind so we'll see. I'm pretty sure he changed Quill's origin though. I don't know if I still have my old Marvel Preview and Spotlights though.


Kinda. He never knew his father, but everything else is largely intact save for him having a space gun keyed to his DNA. that ended up being the reason he joined NASA.
User avatar

Sunless

crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:03 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:It's a weird industry where almost constant mediocre output can be tolerated by a top-tier writer just because the same people keep buying it anyway. In that case, why should Bendis or anyone else writing superhero comics really strive to excel? It's not about quality at all, it's merely about which characters you're given.


You just summed up how I feel about Grant Morrison on Batman.
User avatar

habitual

Silly French Man

Postby habitual » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:10 am

fieldy snuts wrote:I agree regarding the anti-hipster backlash, if this was credited as written by DnA then it'd be getting mad love on here.


I disagree, Thanos Imperative was entirely mediocre.

I also disagree with Punchy's assertion that the cosmic line was "small". Annihilation was a HUGE event in terms of what was done with this particular genre and the free reign that Giffen was given on reinventing the entire cosmology of the MU is just being capitalized on.

Hab
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 6:33 am

habitual wrote:
I disagree, Thanos Imperative was entirely mediocre.

I also disagree with Punchy's assertion that the cosmic line was "small". Annihilation was a HUGE event in terms of what was done with this particular genre and the free reign that Giffen was given on reinventing the entire cosmology of the MU is just being capitalized on.

Hab


I meant small in terms of sales and wider discussion, the scale of the story may have been bigger than Civil War, but Civil War was a much more important, bigger deal.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:15 am

Sunless wrote:
You just summed up how I feel about Grant Morrison on Batman.


He's been a disappointment for several years now, hasn't he? And I say that as a real fan of his earlier writing, but I've quit expecting better from him at this point.

Happy was a real turd, with delays making things even worse for the reader.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:01 am

Anyone notice that there are only 17 pages of story?
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:06 am

guitarsmashley wrote:Anyone notice that there are only 17 pages of story?


For reals? :lol: :lol:
User avatar

alaska1125

dINGO

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am

fieldy snuts wrote:I agree regarding the anti-hipster backlash, if this was credited as written by DnA then it'd be getting mad love on here.


The word "hipster" is so overused that its meaning has become completely irrelevant. That said, the book was so-so. It wasn't the worst way to kill 5 minutes, but probably not the best either. I don't love the daddy issues, and I hate the costumes, but the Bendis speak didn't kill it for me. I'll stick it out for at least another issue.
User avatar

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:26 am

I can think of several better ways to spend $4 in 5 minutes.
User avatar

guitarsmashley

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby guitarsmashley » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:11 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
For reals? :lol: :lol:


Pretty sure I counted them right. I looked at the number on my reader and thenjust decided to not bother with the comic at all.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], MSNbot Media, Peter-J-DeadPoole, Yahoo [Bot] and 59 guests

cron