Advertisement

WonderCon 2013: James Robinson Spotlight

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 am

Robinson discusses past, present and future projects

Source: Various

James Robinson held a spotlight solo panel to talk about his career and answer fan questions. CBR and Bleeding Cool transcribed or reported on the panels, and we've gathered the best parts here.

When asked if he’ll return to Starman, he replied: “A great magician doesn't repeat his tricks. When you do something because you think you should, but not because you want to, it doesn't turn out well. I think I closed the door on Jack Knight”.

He added that there is a Starman on Earth 2: Ted Knight, an English astronomer.

Robinson also teased the big story coming up that involves Earth 2 meeting the heroes of the main DC Universe Earth.  The big event that's happening in 2014 is all these characters meeting each other. Robinson’s goal is to make sure the writers involved in the event are invested in the story, describing himself as "the point guy" for the event, and adding that Scott Snyder, Geoff Johns and Dan DiDio are also very involved.

"It was always my plan to make it Justice Society," he said of the Earth 2 heroes. "I think at a point where you have the heroes of Earth 2 meeting the main Earth, you have to have the Justice Society. As the book moves forward in the next five months, you're going to have more a sense of this team taking shape."

He’s especially proud of how he’s handled Jay Garrick. In issue #11, you'll see how integral he is. When Jay meets Barry Allen, you can see the differences in their personalities even if they're in shirts, or jeans and t-shirts.

Speaking on the designs of the Earth 2 cast, Robinson thinks that Jay Garrick's costume is one of his least favorites. "I cared greatly about how they looked. I've been far from happy with Jay Garrick, but I think Alan Scott's costume is quite good," he said. "For some reason, they were adamant about the costume for Jay Garrick. I hate the gold stripes up the leg. That drives me nuts."

Readers will see the original Trinity as well as the appearance of Earth 2's Green Arrow, known as Red Arrow, in issue #14, although it's a small appearance. His name will be Roy McQueen.

The death of Alan Scott’s partner, Sam, isn't quite completely dealt with yet. The mystery of why Sam was killed leads into the arc about Wildcat and Sam’s death leads into other storylines as well.

Robinson plans to bring Mister Miracle and Barda into the series, but he couldn't say much more about the possibility of more Fourth World characters in the future. The only thing he could say is that there are mainly New Genesis characters on the main prime. On Earth 2, it's mostly Apokolips villains and Mister Miracle and Barda. Some of the characters we're going to be seeing are Bedlam and Kanto.

Robinson plans to introduce both Hourman and Wildcat in the near future. Hourman is a bit further off than Wildcat. “Ted Grant” will appear in approximately issue 14 or 15 and we’ll see “Wildcat” issue #19.

Robinson teased two new villains called Solitaire and Rhapsody. Solitaire is a reinterpreted Gambler and Rhapsody is a reinterpretation of The Fiddler. Ultra Humanite is also on the table for a possible Earth 2 villain.

A fan question of whether Robinson might do stories for Marvel came up, and Robinson responded with his dream cast for a book. "If I was to do it, the characters I like at Marvel are the odd ones," he said. "If they offered me 'Secret Avengers,' it would be the Black Knight, Quicksilver, the original Human Torch, Black Bolt -- that's who I like. I think other people are doing much better jobs with [Thor and Iron Man] than I ever could."

When asked about Robinson's recent The Shade miniseries, the writer said a follow-up was unlikely. "'The Shade' series did not sell well. It came out the month after the launch of the New 52, it got no promotion and it definitely underperformed," said Robinson. "I was told that if things didn't improve, it would be cancelled at issue #8. I don't know that I could get them to let me do another 'Shade' series." Robinson said he did have an idea for another series that would feature both The Shade and Batman, but he was concentrating more on Earth 2.

Robinson ended by saying that he had more creator-owned work coming down the line. "At San Diego last year, we announced a book I was doing with J. Bone and I have two other ideas that I'm talking to pretty well-known artists about working with and they'd probably be at Image, too," he said, saying his project with J. Bone had been delayed because the artist had been offered Rocketeer. "You'll be seeing more creator-owned things from me."

Written or Contributed by IvCNuB4

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: WonderCon 2013: James Robinson Spotlight

Postby Herald » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:39 am

"A great magician doesn't repeat his tricks," Jim "JUSTICE!" Robinson said as he killed off some obscure characters unrelated to his main character(s) for the UMPTEENTH TIME.

"Good thing nobody considers ME a great magician, then!" he admitted, smiling sheepishly.

:P

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 344 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:57 am

When asked about Robinson's recent The Shade miniseries, the writer said a follow-up was unlikely. "'The Shade' series did not sell well. It came out the month after the launch of the New 52, it got no promotion and it definitely underperformed," said Robinson. "I was told that if things didn't improve, it would be cancelled at issue #8. I don't know that I could get them to let me do another 'Shade' series." Robinson said he did have an idea for another series that would feature both The Shade and Batman, but he was concentrating more on Earth 2.

:-(

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

alaska1125
dINGO

Liked in: 150 posts

Postby alaska1125 » Sat Mar 30, 2013 1:47 pm

Zechs wrote:
:-(

Yeah, I agree. I think it's telling that he mentions that it not only hit after the Nu52 debut (making its initial few issues confusing, continuity wise), but it was poorly promoted. That series was Robinson back in fine form. I guess I'm happy all 12 issues made it out of the gate.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:05 pm

alaska1125 wrote:Yeah, I agree. I think it's telling that he mentions that it not only hit after the Nu52 debut (making its initial few issues confusing, continuity wise), but it was poorly promoted. That series was Robinson back in fine form. I guess I'm happy all 12 issues made it out of the gate.

Me too. It's why I hate the new 52. It has good stories which are way over than meager quick cash-ins.

doombug
Staff Writer

Liked in: 273 posts

Postby doombug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:21 pm

Herald wrote:"A great magician doesn't repeat his tricks," Jim "JUSTICE!" Robinson said as he killed off some obscure characters unrelated to his main character(s) for the UMPTEENTH TIME.

"Good thing nobody considers ME a great magician, then!" he admitted, smiling sheepishly.

:P

So you're just blatantly trolling/being a dick?

No one liked that book, still pointing it out almost 3-4 years later is just beating a dead horse.

Earth 2 and the Shade have been 2 of the only positive things that I've heavily enjoyed in the new 52. Let it go.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:24 pm

And before you go off on one of your bullshit diatrab's Herald, maybe offer something constructive or actually you know, read the damn article and offer a comment about the New Gods or Wildcat or the fact that Robinson can seemingly get away with talking negatively about sales/costume designs.

There's plenty inside this actual article that someone spent time writing instead of going "Hey remember that miniseries no one liked that has nothing to do with this write up? Oh you don't? Here's your reminder."

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:38 pm

doombug wrote:So you're just blatantly trolling/being a dick?

I'm pointing out that this "magician" DOES repeat certain tricks, one of them being "Let's drag a character or five out of limbo just long enough to massacre them."

No one liked that book, still pointing it out almost 3-4 years later is just beating a dead horse.

1. It's still on his resume, just like the Starman series, like the first Shade mini, like the "Golden Age" mini... You know, all those books that gained this man his reputation, all those books that people STILL "beat a dead horse" about ALL THE TIME.

And I seem to recall those books being a little older than "almost 3-4 years". But hey, you do the math on those and get back to me.

Funny thing how the rules are suddenly supposed to change when someone's sacred cow puts out some universally sour milk... :roll:

2. He dragged characters out of limbo to be killed off in the aforementioned series, too. Did you forget the infamous Starman #38??

Earth 2 and the Shade have been 2 of the only positive things that I've heavily enjoyed in the new 52. Let it go.

Like you said, those are books that YOU enjoyed.
Me, I'm:

Ooh, characters like Jay Garrick are Younger and Hipper now. YAWN. I found it more impressive when the writers could make the OLD (in more than one sense of the word) Jay and the others interesting. But suddenly, we shouldn't expect that level of craftsmanship anymore. :roll:

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:40 pm

Carry on. I'm watching. .
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1156 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:47 pm

Dammit Herald! spoilers for Starman #38! :x :P
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:49 pm

Herald are you serious dissing Robinson's Starman? Come on now. And with that particular issue it was minor heroes who got fed to the new Mist (a character he later on killed as well). Nobody was using these characters at the time and honestly Blue Devil needed to die to get rid of that stupid extreme 90s getup he had. :P

The thing is though Cry for Justice was an editorial mess. You know it. I know it. We all know it. Don't go fingering Robinson just because he was the one who had to write it.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 881 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:50 pm

Zechs wrote:Me too. It's why I hate the new 52. It has good stories which are way over than meager quick cash-ins.

That's the reason you hate Nu52? :smt017

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm

doombug wrote:And before you go off on one of your bullshit diatrab's Herald, maybe offer something constructive or actually you know, read the damn article and offer a comment about the New Gods or Wildcat or the fact that Robinson can seemingly get away with talking negatively about sales/costume designs.

I read the article, thank you. I'm not impressed with Robinson ragging on costumes and sales, which is why I didn't say anything about it.

Riddle me this: Has anyone else been required to say something positive (or -- GASP!! -- negative!) about Jimbo?? Or comment on the New Gods or Wildcat?? NO?? Then why should I be??

I cited something that Mr. "JUSTICE!" said in this article, and commented on it, just like everyone else. I'm not required to shout "Hosanna!" about this guy just because YOU like his work. :roll:

There's plenty inside this actual article that someone spent time writing instead of going "Hey remember that miniseries no one liked that has nothing to do with this write up? Oh you don't? Here's your reminder."

How nice for the person who wrote it. I'm sure the act of writing the article inspires a feeling of accomplishment in itself.

But the bottom line remains: YOU can worship Jimmy like he's having his very own Easter tomorrow. That doesn't mean I should.

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:54 pm

I really get tired of your schtick and putting words in people's mouths.

This article written about and teasing the man's current work. He specifically talks about the negatives as much as the positives which you know, you'd figure would interest the guy who is so anti-dc. (Newsflash, I don't enjoy 80 percent of their content either)

He brings up that he doesn't like Jay's current costume, that Shade was almost cancelled at issue #8 and how things aren't exactly as smooth as they could be. It's all there if you read the actual piece.

I like Golden Age and absolutely love Starman, Robinson also did an amazing Captain America one shot a few years ago. I've even had the pleasure of interviewing the man last year.

I just don't your need to instead of talking about what is in the article to be like "OMG GUYS DIDN'T CRY FOR JUSTICE SUCK?!"

doombug
Staff Writer

Postby doombug » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 pm

Also wait...did he really take a shot at Starman?

fucking performance art at it's best folks. :lol:

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand