Advertisement

Ultimate Comics Iron Man TPB Review

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 322 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 pm

GLX takes a look at the trade paperback collection of Ultimate Comics Iron Man.

Publisher - Marvel Comics

Writer - Nathan Edmondson
Artist - Mateo Buffagni
Colorist - Andy Troy

Back when I was I starting to really get into comics, Marvel's Ultimate Universe line delivered fresh spins on established characters with top talent. For a while, I was buying just about anything associated with the line. Over time, my interest in it started to decline and a desire to read anything associated with Ultimate brand turned into an occasional interest in reading its stories. Recently, I came across a copy of Ultimate Comics Iron Man at my local library. After reading it, my hunger for new stories in the Ultimate Universe didn't change.

The main problem I have with Ultimate Comics Iron Man is the emotional depth (or lack thereof) present in it. Characters such as Josie, and Tony Stark's father are established as important figures in Tony's life. Where they falter is their time in the story fail to establish a strong, emotional response. Josie's role is that of the ex-girlfriend that died in a helicopter crash, while Tony's father acts as a stern, successful authority figure that works to make Tony into a worthy heir to him. These two characters, along with others like Jarvis and Carol Danvers, serve more as ingredients to the overall plot, but not as characters worth any interest beyond the pages of this story.  

The Mandarin are the story's villain and their contribution to the overall work is serviceable. Nathan Edmondson makes the Mandarin into a challenging opponent to Iron Man. Their role is that of a malevolent and powerful force, but their motivation and dialogue fail to make them compelling. Granted, Edmondson keeps the action going at a pace that staves off boredom. That being said, there is no strong sense that the emotional and physical challenges that Tony faces will lead to believable growth in his environment, and in himself.

Mateo Buffagni's art gets the job done by telling the story effectively, while depicting the characters and their environment in a consistent manner. The best part about his work is that he makes Iron Man's armor look sharp. Buffagni is joined by Andy Troy, and he compliments Buffagni's work with colors that, for the most part, elevate the art.

Overall, Ultimate Comics Iron Man fails to rise above mediocrity. Instead, it is a comic that settles for being a competent work. Collectors and diehard Iron Man fans might find some value with its pages. As a whole, Ultimate Comics Iron Man is not worth a purchase.

55 out of 100

Written or Contributed by GLX

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1066 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Ultimate Comics Iron Man TPB Review

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:53 pm

I feel like the Ultimate Universe ran its course five years ago and they should just devote that energy toward telling stories in the regular universe.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand