Advertisement

80 Year Old Man Extremely Excited for IDW's Rocketeer/Spirit Crossover

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 280 posts

Postby LOLtron » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:13 pm

The octogenarian was very pleased to read IDW's press release this morning in 24 point font on his Jitterbug smartphone.

Source: Press Release

Alex Ross and Dynamite Entertainment IDW sent out a press release this morning announcing a crossover people have been waiting for for decades... until most of them died... The Rocketeer meets The Spirit in a four issue limited series written by Mark Waid and drawn by Paul Smith!

"What's that?!" asked 87 year old Stanley Moore of Los Angeles, one of the youngest fans of the classic pulp heroes.

"IDW is making a Rocketeer/Spirit crossover comic," we told him.

"What?!" he asked

"The Spirit is teaming up with the Rocketeer," we repeated.

"No thanks, I don't need a chandelier," he replied.

"No no, sir," we explained. "You misunderstand. The comic book hero The Spirit is going to share a comic with The Rocketeer. It's being made by IDW. Mark Waid is writing, and Paul Smith is on art. Not sure who's going to ink and color it."

"The coloreds?!" gasped a suddenly excited Moore. "First we have one of them as president, and now they're making comic books?!"

"Ooookay," we said quickly, needing to cut him off there. He's from a different time.

The Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction will be in stores on July 15. Here's the press release:

MARK WAID! PAUL SMITH! IDW! DC ENTERTAINMENT! THE ROCKETEER! THE SPIRIT!

It’s PULP FRICTION as Icons Finally Meet This Summer!

San Diego, CA (March 31, 2013) – IDW Publishing and DC Entertainment are pleased to announce the meeting of two of comics’ greatest pulp heroes! Dave Stevens’ high-flying Cliff Secord will finally cross paths with Will Eisner’s iconic Denny Colt this summer in THE ROCKETEER/THE SPIRIT: PULP FRICTION! The four-issue series, taking off in July, will also pack quite the creative wallop, being written by multi-Eisner Award-winning scribe Mark Waid and drawn by the legendary Paul Smith!

“Not many writers have been lucky enough to write The Rocketeer or The Spirit,” said Mark Waid, “so I feel like I’ve won the lottery. This is one of the most exciting—and scariest—assignments I’ve ever undertaken. Luckily, I’ve got Paul Smith to make me look good!”

“This is one of those ideas that just makes me smile,” said Editor Scott Dunbier, “I’m a long-time fan of both characters and it’s an honor to work on it. And if Mark won the lottery, I hit the Powerball, baby!”

The Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction features a murder mystery and political intrigue. From the grim and gritty streets of Central City where The Spirit navigates through the urban underbelly of corruption to the sunny skies of Los Angeles where The Rocketeer soars above the Hollywood elite, these two classic characters will become enthralled in murder, mayhem, and all manner of danger—and with a healthy dose of signature humor tossed in for good measure.

The Rocketeer/Spirit: Pulp Friction arrives in stores July 10th.
share on Twitter Send Mark Waid! Paul Smith! IDW! DC Entertainment! THE ROCKETEER! THE SPIRIT! to friends on Facebook Digg Reddit

About IDW

IDW is an award-winning publisher of comic books, graphic novels and trade paperbacks, based in San Diego, California. Renowned for its diverse catalog of licensed and independent titles, IDW publishes some of the most successful and popular titles in the industry, including: Hasbro’s The TRANSFORMERS and G.I. JOE, Paramount’s Star Trek; HBO’s True Blood; the BBC’s DOCTOR WHO; Toho’s Godzilla; and comics and trade collections based on novels by worldwide bestselling author, James Patterson. IDW is also home to the Library of American Comics imprint, which publishes classic comic reprints; Yoe! Books, a partnership with Yoe! Studio.

IDW’s critically- and fan-acclaimed series are continually moving into new mediums. Currently, Warner Brothers and Barry Sonnenfeld are attached to adapt LORE into a feature film starring Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Jerry Bruckheimer Films and Disney are creating a feature film based on World War Robot, with Michael Bay‘s Platinum Dunes and Sony bringing Zombies vs. Robots to film. 

Written or Contributed by Jude Terror

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Re: 80 Year Old Man Extremely Excited for IDW's Rocketeer/Sp

Postby DMM » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:21 pm

Is the Spirit trying to ride the Rocketeer like a rodeo bull? Is he trying to clothesline him as he flies by? :smt102

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 89 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

You do know that The Rocketeer is actually only from the 80s?

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 423 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Thigh Crusher Assault !

Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

DMM
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 4 posts
Title: Former Twenty Something
Formerly: DeathMetalMetrosexual

Postby DMM » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:55 pm

yeahbutwhat?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 961 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 pm

Punchy wrote:You do know that The Rocketeer is actually only from the 80s?

That was like a hundred years ago Punchy.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

MoneyMelon
Chief Yankee Wanker

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Internet Celebrity

Postby MoneyMelon » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:26 am

Mark Waid piques my interest in this.

Jason Le
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 196 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: 80 Year Old Man Extremely Excited for IDW's Rocketeer/Spirit Crossover

Postby Jason Le » Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:55 am

Welcome to our club,-babyboomerflirt。c0m- Success senior dating community with thousands of verified members and photos, local event. No fake profiles, no spam, just real life people looking for partners online. :)

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand