Advertisement

Doctor Who: The Bells of St. John

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Re: Doctor Who: The Bells of St. John

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:35 pm

Chris wrote:I hope it happens this season, in the finale or something, and they don't put it off until next year.

I'm pretty sure it's this season, and that it's the penultimate episode, entitled 'The Rains Of Castamere'.

Advertisement

Sunless
crash test dummy

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: THE Sunless

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:50 pm

Chris wrote:It'd be interesting for an episode or two, but I would get bored of having the obligatory "WOW! GEE WIZ WHAT IS THAT MAGICAL TECHNOLOGICAL DEVICE?!" scene every episode.

Really? Jaime and Leela did pretty well for themselves and they are two of the most popular companions ever.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby PDH » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:52 pm

Chris wrote:
Where they're from is completely irrelevant to me. They're not defined by what era they come from, unless the writers do the exact thing I mentioned earlier by playing up the differences in technology and customs, and all that all the time..

They're defined by their personalities and their interactions with the Doctor.

Clara from The Snowmen is pretty interchangeable with modern Clara, for example, in that regard. :smt102

In conclusion:

[Reveal] Spoiler: Click to Expand

It's not the be-all end-all but it would be an interesting change.

Anyway:

Seen the episode now and liked it a lot. Don't know whether it would have worked as well with Victorian Clara, to be fair, because it's very modern. Read somewhere that it was a lot like a RTD episode, which had me worried, but it was more like what a RTD episode was trying to be but wasn't. RTD's contemporary references almost always misfired but Moffat's (mostly) work.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:53 pm

Punchy wrote:I think the next regular companion should be an Alien, or a human from the future.

I think the next companion should be a man. Sure I love the eye candy companions, but we've never had a male duo in the TARDIS by themselves. Theres usually a bit of skirt with them.

Now thats something new, hell even make him modern if you like.

PDH
penile prisoner

Liked in: 119 posts

Postby PDH » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:56 pm

The Red Wedding is like the prison arc in TWD. It's a deal breaker for me. They've got to get it right.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:01 pm

PDH wrote:The Red Wedding is like the prison arc in TWD. It's a deal breaker for me. They've got to get it right.

Could they do me a huge solid and skip everything in A Feast For Crows entirely?

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Sunless wrote:
I think the next companion should be a man. Sure I love the eye candy companions, but we've never had a male duo in the TARDIS by themselves. Theres usually a bit of skirt with them.

Now thats something new, hell even make him modern if you like.

Donna's dad was his companion during "The End of Time".

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:40 pm

As for the episode in question, good stuff. I also expect the Intelligence to be the recurring Big Bad throughout this season, so there's no point in fretting about how it wasn't soundly defeated right now.

Oh, and to all the Facebook, Twitter, etc. fans: This episode also nicely demonstrated why you don't need to be telling everyone everything you're doing and everywhere you're going on those sites. Needless to say, I loved that part in particular. :P

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Herald wrote:

Not really the same thing though is it? Doctor and modern YOUNG male. there. Never been done. So your point doesn't really change anything.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:57 pm

Sunless wrote:
Not really the same thing though is it? Doctor and modern YOUNG male. there. Never been done. So your point doesn't really change anything.

Your original criteria made being "modern" optional, and made no mention of the requested companion being "YOUNG". It's cute of you to try moving the goalposts now, but don't bother claiming that said original criteria precluded an old man like Donna's dad. The bottom line remains that you just asked for "a male duo", and I rightly pointed out that there already was one.

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 109 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Postby Punchy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:59 pm

Herald wrote:

Granddad.

But yeah, Wilf was awesome, bring back Wilf!

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:01 pm

Punchy wrote:
Granddad.

Fair enough. :wink:

But yeah, Wilf was awesome, bring back Wilf!

Agreed! :-D

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:16 pm

Herald wrote:
Your original criteria made being "modern" optional, and made no mention of the requested companion being "YOUNG". It's cute of you to try moving the goalposts now, but don't bother claiming that said original criteria precluded an old man like Donna's dad. The bottom line remains that you just asked for "a male duo", and I rightly pointed out that there already was one.

So one episode a companion makes? I hardly think so. And I am going by what the new show likes to do and that is having young modern day people travel in the TARDIS. It's been done to death with women, try something new. This was the point you missed.

Herald
Fagorstorm

Postby Herald » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:20 pm

Sunless wrote:
So one episode a companion makes?

Considering that he's even in the opening credits like every other companion: YES.

And I am going by what the new show likes to do and that is having young modern day people travel in the TARDIS. It's been done to death with women, try something new. This was the point you missed.

Having an old man working with the Doctor was something new. That was the point you missed.

Sunless
crash test dummy

Postby Sunless » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:25 pm

Herald wrote:
Considering that he's even in the opening credits like every other companion: YES.

Having an old man working with the Doctor was something new. That was the point you missed.

Not that new. Evelyn Smythe, though she is a lady. There have been old people in the TARDIS.

Yay we missed each others points. That mean they get cancelled out?

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum