Advertisement

Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games (Update)

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Liam Rodgers
cheese

Liked in: 100 posts
Title: Chronic MasterDebator
Formerly: The Beast

Advertisement

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 374 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Re: Feminist Frequency: Women vs. Tropes in Video Games

Postby Keb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:23 pm

Gotta watch that when I get home. Gonna start working on some articles regarding this silliness that she's trying to pass off as activism.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 483 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:46 pm

it's a grating video Keb

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 192 posts
Title: Bitch, I'm fabulous
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm really astonished at the amount of attention that this person has garnered, positive and negative. I'm very curious to see where she ends up. I wonder if she has political ambitions, or if her aspirations end at martyrdom.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:32 pm

Log-Man wrote:I'm really astonished at the amount of attention that this person has garnered, positive and negative. I'm very curious to see where she ends up. I wonder if she has political ambitions, or if her aspirations end at martyrdom.

I think that in the case of Anita Sarkeesian, she will be around as long as she is being loud and attracting attention whether it be positive or negative. As it has already been stated in this thread and in some of the videos responding to her, her argument isn't very strong. Whether she is right or wrong isn't the issue, she simply doesn't possess the ability to effect any real or lasting change. Eventually the people who hate her will grow bored with her and the people who support her will realize she doesn't have anything new to add and will move on to the next loud person who wants to draw attention to themselves. She is an internet sensation, just like the Numa Numa Kid was back in 2004 or "Gangnam Style" was last year.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:13 pm

Rockman wrote:it's a grating video Keb

As in it shredded her as the hack she is!

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Postby Mr. Log » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:53 pm

Grayson wrote:
I think that in the case of Anita Sarkeesian, she will be around as long as she is being loud and attracting attention whether it be positive or negative. As it has already been stated in this thread and in some of the videos responding to her, her argument isn't very strong. Whether she is right or wrong isn't the issue, she simply doesn't possess the ability to effect any real or lasting change. Eventually the people who hate her will grow bored with her and the people who support her will realize she doesn't have anything new to add and will move on to the next loud person who wants to draw attention to themselves. She is an internet sensation, just like the Numa Numa Kid was back in 2004 or "Gangnam Style" was last year.

That was my initial thought, too, but seeing that she had a TED talk and raised $120k+ on Kickstarter makes me wonder if she's going to become the new figurehead for feminism. This is how activist cults get started. Or they could eventually turn on her and devour her, too. It's a very interesting phenomenon to watch happen at this point.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 1075 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:05 pm

Log-Man wrote:That was my initial thought, too, but seeing that she had a TED talk and raised $120k+ on Kickstarter makes me wonder if she's going to become the new figurehead for feminism. This is how activist cults get started. Or they could eventually turn on her and devour her, too. It's a very interesting phenomenon to watch happen at this point.

It's possible that it could go either way for her but she really just seems like the type of person who is feeding more off of the negativity that she is creating rather than her actual supporters. In fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if her supporters are supporting her more because they feel bad for her and less because of what she is saying. The real test of her sustainability will come when her detractors begin to ignore her. Without people vehemently spewing bile at and about her, less people will rush to her defense. My guess is that she will fade away rather quickly afterwards.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:14 pm

I think a lot of the problem and the reasons why she can feed off the negativity and be so successful is because in conjunction with the lack of actual criticism, much of the strong critical responses to her videos are made by dudes who are so eager to be condescending about it. Even in that video that was posted earlier, the host is very condescending and that kind of tone always gets brushed aside even when the critical reaction is very strong.

What I find very interesting is the lack of criticism she's receiving from women. I think it's a telling sign that either she's got a ton of women supporters or women just don't care. There are quite a few women who have made videos denouncing feminism but none seem to focus on her.

She withholds a lot of information and that bothers me. Her lack of response to her critics also bothers me. There's a lot about her that bothers me.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 98 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:00 pm

Haven't heard when Anita's next video drops.

For now, you can watch this nice critique of Anita's first Damsel video.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:02 am

This is still a thing?

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:49 am

Keb wrote:This is still a thing?

She's still got $120,000 worth of videos to complete :-D

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:07 am

I figure she'd just do one or two videos and dash with the cash. Its not like its money that the person HAS to spend on his or her project.

There is enough on the internet to debunk her as any type of authority on anything and more than enough people have presented video responses to show how one-sided her argument is.

If I was her I'd use some of that money to pay off some debts and seed the next investment.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:37 pm

Log-Man wrote:
She's still got $159,000 worth of videos to complete :-D

Fixed.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:38 pm

Ntikrst wrote:

Amen.

Watched this the other night. The Amazing Atheist and thunderf00t don't do much for me. :smt102

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum