Wednesday, August 24, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "Yellow journalism at its finest."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Details emerge about Marvel's Infinity Event

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:38 pm

e_galston wrote:
you mean like all the x-books that for like 4 years we set in SF...



Which part of "mostly" did you not understand? :lol:

I was thinking more on the lines of Champions, Black Panther, Ka-Zar, Black Goliath, Ghost Rider, Sub-Mariner, Inhumans, etc.
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:43 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

Which part of "mostly" did you not understand? :lol:

I was thinking more on the lines of Champions, Black Panther, Ka-Zar, Black Goliath, Ghost Rider, Sub-Mariner, Inhumans, etc.


oh you mean all the books that would have failed even if they were set in NYC...
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:44 pm

e_galston wrote:
you mean like all the x-books that for like 4 years we set in SF...

Runaways was set in LA and was awesome!
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:19 am

Keb wrote:Runaways was set in LA and was awesome!


well yeah, but to Nacireman that would be a "failure" since it was cancelled...
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:22 am

e_galston wrote:
well yeah, but to Nacireman that would be a "failure" since it was cancelled...

He is too judgmental. We should beat him up!
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:25 am

e_galston wrote:
well yeah, but to Nacireman that would be a "failure" since it was cancelled...


And had low sales...
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:30 am

It was critically acclaimed though. That counts for a lot in my opinion.

I'm all for comics that are set outside of the NYC. TV shows have started doing this and have been fairly successful. I mean, look at how awesome The Wire was and that wasn't set in New York. Comics are starting to follow so I expect the idea that NY as the center of the universe will start to die down a bit.

Besides, all the reference/research must be tedious for artists.
User avatar

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 am

The X-Men have never been set in NYC, Xavier's Mansion is out in the countryside somewhere.
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:47 am

Punchy wrote:The X-Men have never been set in NYC, Xavier's Mansion is out in the countryside somewhere.


Westchester County is considered part of the New York City Metropolitan area.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_metropolitan_area
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 am

Keb wrote:It was critically acclaimed though. That counts for a lot in my opinion.

I'm all for comics that are set outside of the NYC. TV shows have started doing this and have been fairly successful. I mean, look at how awesome The Wire was and that wasn't set in New York. Comics are starting to follow so I expect the idea that NY as the center of the universe will start to die down a bit.

Besides, all the reference/research must be tedious for artists.


Marvel's been doing this a lot. Venom is in Philly, Scarlet Spider Man is in Houston. Moon Knight was in LA. Uncanny X-Force is in LA i believe as well...

Heck DC is sending Nightwing to Chicago
User avatar

Juan Cena

DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:05 pm

e_galston wrote:
Marvel's been doing this a lot. Venom is in Philly, Scarlet Spider Man is in Houston. Moon Knight was in LA. Uncanny X-Force is in LA i believe as well...

Heck DC is sending Nightwing to Chicago


Most of those titles are at the lower end of the Marvel sales spectrum, by the way. And Moon Knight was canceled.

DC has traditionally had better luck with titles set outside of New York. Metropolis and Gotham City are pretty much stand-ins for NYC anyway.
User avatar

e_galston

Staff Writer

Postby e_galston » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:23 pm

Juan Cena wrote:
Most of those titles are at the lower end of the Marvel sales spectrum, by the way. And Moon Knight was canceled.

DC has traditionally had better luck with titles set outside of New York. Metropolis and Gotham City are pretty much stand-ins for NYC anyway.


where in anything that i wrote did i say they weren't on the "lower end" of the sales spectrum.. all i said was they were actually branching out. and that moon knight WAS not IS...
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:38 pm

Punchy wrote:The X-Men have never been set in NYC, Xavier's Mansion is out in the countryside somewhere.

They still hang in NYC though.
User avatar

Jack Burton

biny little tird

Postby Jack Burton » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:14 pm

Iron Man worked out of the West Coast most of the 80 and 90's. I think he was in Silicon Valley and I know Busiek moved him to Washington for a while.

I think both of those locations work really well for Tony given they are well known for all software/tech industry based there.
User avatar

Draco x

Fagorstorm

Postby Draco x » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:24 pm

Juan Cena wrote:

You can blame that on Marvel books set outside NYC metropolitan area to be mostly underperformers.


Yeah apparently all other cities in the states are too lame to be noticed by invading hordes of villains.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Amoebas, crawley, Jack Burton, MSNbot Media, Peter-J-DeadPoole, Supersoldier Washout and 127 guests