Advertisement

Bedlam #6 [SPOILERS]

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Bedlam #6 [SPOILERS]

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:06 pm

Eh...hmm.

This is my jumping off point apparently. I have several problems with the storyline and this issue with its sort-of-a-resolution in particular.

Problem #1 is the characters. The finicky main character doesn't seem connected to the killed in issue #1 who purportedly got his head popped off like a dandelion with no explanation for how he's alive except there are some weird-ass doctors in Bedlam. Worse, his lines of reasoning over the last half a dozen issues have been murky and spotted with too-convenient lightbulbs over his head.

What to make of the rest of the cast? Ramira Acevedo, cardboard and convenient foil who has to be drugged unconscious and taken out of the picture for the final third of the arc and then be filled in on what happened. Or The First or whatever he's called--are we supposed to think he's the most inept crimefighter in the history of superhero comics? Which beings me to...

Problem #2, the fight scene. The huge guy in body armor from head to toe with no regard for any strategy at all bursts in through a window and lets himself get repeatedly shot at close range and even beaten by a naked guy using his rifle like a baseball bat. The scene was drawn badly, but perhaps part of the fault lies in the fact that the whole scene is not credible from start to finish, at least as shown here.

Problem #3, the end of this issue and sort of a resolution. I am supposed to believe that there is not one naked dude with his junk scraped off who has weird religious Stockholm Syndrome for a creepy old priest who molested him and so he somehow bolted a heavy but non-functioning metal set of wings to his own back, but rather a whole gang of them who all did that. Again, I don't really buy it, and the gross old priest is let off the hook for it all for no reason I can see. Nobody's motivations or actions are lining up right, and Rossmo's art isn't helping to make the action clearer either, I hate to say.

Initially, the mystery of how Madder Red survived and what his motivations were, his history, were the most interest features of Bedlam, but after an intriguing set-up they seem to have been lost in a pretty typical washed out story of a serial killer with no greater depth than "he did it because he was molested by a priest".

Advertisement

GiveWarAChance
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 1324 posts
Title: Unliving Legend
Formerly: GivePeaceAChance

Re: Bedlam #6 [SPOILERS]

Postby GiveWarAChance » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:15 pm

This will be my last issue of the series too. I would have dropped it earlier if I didn't use a mail order service. Nothing about the series has clicked with me. The art is really hideous.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 7 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Wed Apr 03, 2013 7:23 pm

GiveWarAChance wrote:This will be my last issue of the series too. I would have dropped it earlier if I didn't use a mail order service. Nothing about the series has clicked with me. The art is really hideous.

I would say his style is not for everyone, but if you've read Shadowline's Dia De Los Muertos miniseries, the different art styles he uses for each of the vignettes prove he's actually capable of much more than the scratchy, static art in Bedlam. The panel with The First smashing through the glass window is so overly line-y and stiffly composed, it looks like an awkward ballpoint pen sketch on a high school notebook cover.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 412 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:02 pm

The art in Proof is enough to show that Rossmo is a decent artist but after reading issue 1 I decided to pass on this piece.

I might actually dislike Nick Spencer if I read this.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 103 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm

Keb wrote:
I might actually dislike Nick Spencer if I read this.

That'd happen if you read his Fear Itself: Secret Avengers material. Normally, he's a decent-to-good writer; that was below his usual standard of quality.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand