Saturday, July 23, 2016 • Afternoon Edition • "The number two comic book website."

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Swamp Thing #19 (Spoilers Eventually)

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:50 am

Oh, man, but that was bad. I don't remember a book dropping in quality this dizzyingly since Rachael Pollack took over from Grant Morrison on Doom Patrol back in the day. Soule's writing tries desperately to raise ethical questions but does so with all the grave of a hippo in a tutu, and Alec Holland's voice is all wrong. Similarly, Holland's sudden need to be in a city environment rings false, and the presence of the Scarecrow and Superman just signals the direction the book has decided to take now.

An all-round shit sandwich of massive proportions.

chap22

Rain Partier

Postby chap22 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:56 am

you are doing nothing to make me reconsider my decision to drop this book after 18. :-D

Grayson

Outhouse Drafter

Postby Grayson » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:58 am

nietoperz wrote:Oh, man, but that was bad. I don't remember a book dropping in quality this dizzyingly since Rachael Pollack took over from Grant Morrison on Doom Patrol back in the day. Soule's writing tries desperately to raise ethical questions but does so with all the grave of a hippo in a tutu, and Alec Holland's voice is all wrong. Similarly, Holland's sudden need to be in a city environment rings false, and the presence of the Scarecrow and Superman just signals the direction the book has decided to take now.

An all-round shit sandwich of massive proportions.

I guess I am glad that I took this off my pull list then. Seriously, the last issue provided a pretty good jumping off point and if it's half as bad as you make it out to be, I definitely don't want to pay $3 for it. Now I am dreading going to my LCS later today because they have a bad habit of sneaking books that you dropped back into your box. I have a feeling this issue is going to be waiting for me...

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:00 am

chap22 wrote:you are doing nothing to make me reconsider my decision to drop this book after 18. :-D

Yeah, I dropped it too - but then I decided to get #19 through Comixology, with the idea that if it was worthwhile I would trade-wait the rest of the arc. And man, did it ever suck.

Zechs

Outhouse Editor

Postby Zechs » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:12 am

chap22 wrote:you are doing nothing to make me reconsider my decision to drop this book after 18. :-D

:lol:

Johnny Smith

rubber spoon

Postby Johnny Smith » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:26 pm

Swamp Thing, Scarecrow, and Superman in the same book ... this sounds like somebody's wet dream coming true :roll:

GLX

Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:02 pm

nietoperz wrote:
Yeah, I dropped it too - but then I decided to get #19 through Comixology, with the idea that if it was worthwhile I would trade-wait the rest of the arc. And man, did it ever suck.

You could've waited a month and bought it for $2 instead of $3. :P

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:39 am

Johnny Smith wrote:Swamp Thing, Scarecrow, and Superman in the same book ... this sounds like somebody's wet dream coming true :roll:

An addict of Added Alliterative Appeal...

Tintin Quarantino

Rain Partier

Postby Tintin Quarantino » Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:44 am

...since Rachael Pollack took over from Grant Morrison on Doom Patrol...

But...that's like as bad as it gets! :shock:

nietoperz

The Goddamn Bat-min

Postby nietoperz » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 am

Victorian Squid wrote:
But...that's like as bad as it gets! :shock:

To be fair, Soule's Swampy will never, ever be as bad as Pollack was, so perhaps I was being hyperbolic. Think Defalco taking over from Simonson on Thor, I guess. Or Dan Jurgens' Justice League.

Punchy

Staff Writer

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:40 am

Unlike its sister-title, Animal Man, Swamp Thing has undergone a change in creative team. Snyder has left for Superman and new Vertigo work (such a thing still exists, I swear), so in comes Charles Soule. Soule is a writer I’m not familiar with, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by this one. Just like Animal Man, there’s a step down in terms of epic-ness, but I appreciated the smaller scale and the more detailed exploration of where Alex Holland’s head is at. I also really liked how Soule goes to great pains to show that Swamp Thing is not a superhero, that he doesn’t do things for the good of humanity, but for the good of plants. Having your hero do things like take away food from starving people in the desert is dark stuff, but it works. Swamp Thing is above things like that, but Alec Holland is not, he struggles with it as a man, so he heads to Metropolis to ask someone who’s all about saving humanity, Superman. But on the way he runs into the Scarecrow who has headed to Metropolis to steal some fear plant or something. Chaos of course ensues, and it looks like next issue is going to involve Swamp Thing Vs Superman. This issue seems to have gotten a mixed reaction online, it’s certainly a departure from the mystical stuff Snyder was doing, but I think it mostly works. Soule is attempting to put Swampy into more superhero-type stories whilst at the same time showing how he’s not really a superhero at all. I like it so far, but it’s only been one issue, we shall see. I also really liked Kano’s artwork here, he’s always dependable, and it was good to have a Swamp Thing issue that was not overly complex in it’s layouts. I love Yanick Paquette, but at times he got a bit too over-elaborate.

Stephen Day

Wrasslin' Fan

Postby Stephen Day » Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm

It wasn't a masterpiece, but I don't think it was as bad as Nieto thought it was. I'll give it a few more issues.

leave a comment with facebook