Advertisement

Thanos Rising #1 (Smartest kid in school Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Thanos Rising #1 (Smartest kid in school Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:15 am

I’ve read a lot of comics featuring Thanos, some of them good and some of them bad, but I never realised that I didn’t really know his origins. I knew he was a Titan and that superhero/date-rapist Starfox was his brother and that he was in love with ‘Death’ but that was it. This new mini-series delves into his past, and it’s… strange. I’m not sure why, but it’s just odd to see a character like Thanos, who is so irredeemably evil most of the time as a cute, misunderstood kid. I’m not sure how much of this origin is new but it’s just strange. Jason Aaron is once again proving himself as a supremely versatile writer, he became known for gritty, down to Earth stories like Scalped and Wolverine, but he’s just as great when off in Space with Thanos or Thor. He treats every setting with the same respect and the same focus on human (or Titan) emotions, it’s great to see. If anyone can make me care about baby Thanos, it’s Aaron. Simone Bianchi is an artist I run hot and cold on, but he’s well-suited here, his style really suits an alien world. This mini is an odd one so far, but it’s important context for Hickman’s upcoming Infinity crossover, and also probably for the next lot of Marvel Movies, so I’m excited to see where it goes and to see Thanos head towards the dark side (insert joke here about how he’s a Darkseid rip-off). I’m guessing the little girl that’s egging on Thanos to kill lizards is Death, which is interesting. We shall see.

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Thanos Rising #1 (Smartest kid in school Spoilers)

Postby habitual » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:33 am

Punchy wrote:I’ve read a lot of comics featuring Thanos, some of them good and some of them bad, but I never realised that I didn’t really know his origins. I knew he was a Titan and that superhero/date-rapist Starfox was his brother and that he was in love with ‘Death’ but that was it. This new mini-series delves into his past, and it’s… strange. I’m not sure why, but it’s just odd to see a character like Thanos, who is so irredeemably evil most of the time as a cute, misunderstood kid. I’m not sure how much of this origin is new but it’s just strange. Jason Aaron is once again proving himself as a supremely versatile writer, he became known for gritty, down to Earth stories like Scalped and Wolverine, but he’s just as great when off in Space with Thanos or Thor. He treats every setting with the same respect and the same focus on human (or Titan) emotions, it’s great to see. If anyone can make me care about baby Thanos, it’s Aaron. Simone Bianchi is an artist I run hot and cold on, but he’s well-suited here, his style really suits an alien world. This mini is an odd one so far, but it’s important context for Hickman’s upcoming Infinity crossover, and also probably for the next lot of Marvel Movies, so I’m excited to see where it goes and to see Thanos head towards the dark side (insert joke here about how he’s a Darkseid rip-off). I’m guessing the little girl that’s egging on Thanos to kill lizards is Death, which is interesting. We shall see.

You didn't read the Giffen/Starlin Thanos?

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 0 post
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:55 am

habitual wrote:
You didn't read the Giffen/Starlin Thanos?

Hab

Nope.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:08 am

Punchy wrote:
Nope.

This is decent, but, that's much better.

It's pretty key in understanding Thanos.

Hab

Stephen Day
Wrasslin' Fan

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Maple Leaf Ninja

Postby Stephen Day » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:58 am

I felt about this series the same way that i felt about the Star Wars prequels regarding Darth Vader. I didn't want to know the specifics about how Vader became Vader, and I don't want to know how Thanos became the Thanos we all love to hate.

It's interesting that Marvel is doing this series and I have nothing against them doing it. However, for the reason I stated above, I'm not touching this series.

Thank you Troy for the sig

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand