Advertisement

Queer Heroes

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TheSecondLex
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: alexeiluthor

Re: Queer Heroes

Postby TheSecondLex » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:22 am

communication is key :) Or so I hear anyway.

How is everyone?
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Advertisement

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 1 post
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:40 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:communication is key :) Or so I hear anyway.

How is everyone?

I'm alright. How are things going in Lexville, USA?

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:03 pm

Hola folks, about to head to Florida for the week. Sadly wish I were more excited, but I ain't. It's for ... *sigh* ... personal reasons.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:00 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:I wasn't feeling this trip to Florida I'm taking with my family, but I'm determined to make the best of it. I do need a vacation, and I haven't been to a beach in over 7 years.

There is "dudity" for miles in 21 & Over. A refreshing change of pace than the usual "BOOBS!" style of juvenile college comedy.

I mean the two main stars spend a good 10 minutes of the film just wearing socks ... and not on their feet.

I haven't been to a beach in two weeks.

Now I gotta watch that movie.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Tue Apr 02, 2013 2:47 pm

GLX wrote:
I'm alright. How are things going in Lexville, USA?

I want to visit Lexville !

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Lexville: population 23 (that's mythology gag; first person to get it I'll send you my prized copy of Lex Luthor The Unauthorised Biography--remember 1989?! I do!) :)

I find latley I'm going back in time as far as my comic collectiong goes. Right now I'm nippledeep in Cosmic Marvel of the 70s--which, next to Jack Kirby's New Gods (and oddly enough inspired thereby [Thanos=Darkseid]) might be the best thing I've read yet. As in, ever. As in, off al the comics I've ever read, only three other series come close to the kind of deep-space, philosophical solipsism, drama and misery that guys like Starlin and Mike Friedrich and even Roy Thomas were doing with Mar-Vell, Thanos, and my personal favorite: Adam Warlock.

If you haven't read any of the OG Cosmic Marvel stuff--beyond Annihilation, beyond Guardians of the Galaxy, before Genis-Vell, back when Annihilus was a cackling idiot who showed up whenever someone fucked into the Negative Zone like so much farmers with pitchforks....it's time you picked it up. I can't recommend it enough. I'm glad I'm reading it now as opposed to any time before: I don't think I'd have been able to appreciate the nuances to the Mar-Vell stories. Certainly not to the Magus saga.

All in all it really confirms what I would call a long auteur phase for Marvel from say 71-86 (which covers IIRC Giant-Size X-Men to my personal endpoint of the magic: Daredevil Born Again--frankly, imho, the best thing Frank Miller's ever written ever).

ok. Fanboy out :)

Also: I had misspelled Zone up there, and autocorrect suggest 'ZORN'... :shock:
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Wed Apr 03, 2013 1:19 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:Lexville: population 23 (that's mythology gag; first person to get it I'll send you my prized copy of Lex Luthor The Unauthorised Biography--remember 1989?! I do!) :)

I find latley I'm going back in time as far as my comic collectiong goes. Right now I'm nippledeep in Cosmic Marvel of the 70s--which, next to Jack Kirby's New Gods (and oddly enough inspired thereby [Thanos=Darkseid]) might be the best thing I've read yet. As in, ever. As in, off al the comics I've ever read, only three other series come close to the kind of deep-space, philosophical solipsism, drama and misery that guys like Starlin and Mike Friedrich and even Roy Thomas were doing with Mar-Vell, Thanos, and my personal favorite: Adam Warlock.

If you haven't read any of the OG Cosmic Marvel stuff--beyond Annihilation, beyond Guardians of the Galaxy, before Genis-Vell, back when Annihilus was a cackling idiot who showed up whenever someone fucked into the Negative Zone like so much farmers with pitchforks....it's time you picked it up. I can't recommend it enough. I'm glad I'm reading it now as opposed to any time before: I don't think I'd have been able to appreciate the nuances to the Mar-Vell stories. Certainly not to the Magus saga.

All in all it really confirms what I would call a long auteur phase for Marvel from say 71-86 (which covers IIRC Giant-Size X-Men to my personal endpoint of the magic: Daredevil Born Again--frankly, imho, the best thing Frank Miller's ever written ever).

ok. Fanboy out :)

Also: I had misspelled Zone up there, and autocorrect suggest 'ZORN'... :shock:

Metropolis 23 Miles? The story where Luthor shows how he loves to torture waitresses... oh wait, was it 900 miles?

I've always wanted to read all of Jack Kirby's New Gods, but I've only read the first issues. And I know I must read Jim Starlin stuff too.

Daredevil Born Again is one of the best Daredevil stories. Miller was so good back then.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:56 pm

Arion wrote:Metropolis 23 Miles? The story where Luthor shows how he loves to torture waitresses... oh wait, was it 900 miles?

I've always wanted to read all of Jack Kirby's New Gods, but I've only read the first issues. And I know I must read Jim Starlin stuff too.

Daredevil Born Again is one of the best Daredevil stories. Miller was so good back then.

Action Comics 23. Debut of Luthor, who in those days had hair. So yeah.

And yeah it was Metropolis 900 miles. Which, if Metropolis is in Delaware (as in the late 80s Atlas of the DC Universe, my personal reference work for DCU locales), puts the podunk diner in about....East Saint Louis. Make of that what you will.

I really like Metropolis 900 miles a lot. Along with 'the unauthorised biography', it was one of the first Luthor stories I ever read and it informs my view of the character greatly, and buttresses later versions of him (mostly the Azzarello/Morrison-All-Star versions): he views us as ants. Weapons in the war against Superman. The defender of humanity, champion of the downtrodden stuff is a bunch of PR bunk. Deep down, he just hates Superman. I like to think he doesn't even really remember why--it's all been going on so long and he's become so irrational that nothing but RAGE! matters.

I guess I always saw Luthor as Bruce Wayne--if Bruce Wayne had given up earlier or at all. Their wars look similar already: human proxies, disposable weapons and income thrown at ridiculous problems, urban warfare, just how insane and one-sided their ideologies are, and how they'd sooner die than surrender in the face of their nameless, formless foe (more on that later :) )

Anyway.

And YES! Go read Jack Kirby's New Gods. Nownownow. I collected them over this past X-mas in softcover (vols 1-4, 1 begins with the very first Kirby issue of Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen, and vol 4 ends with The Hunger Dogs!, an editorially-truncated post-Soviet (inquire within as to what I mean about this!) narrative about the whole universe that shows Darkseid and Orion duking it out for...well, most of the marbles. There are hardcovers out there but they start at 50 america-bucks (and, having come out in 2008, are somewhat hard to find for reasonable cash output). Softcovers start at 29.99 IIRC and are printed on hefty paper, so they'll stand up.

The real gems, though, are the forewords (by Morrison, Walt Simonson, some guy I didn't know, and Paul Levitz) and the afterwords in each volume by Mark Evanier. Plus, sketch material!

Go buy them now, Ari. You won't be sorry :)

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Wed Apr 03, 2013 3:04 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:

Action Comics 23. Debut of Luthor, who in those days had hair. So yeah.

I had a feeling that's what you were referring to.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Apr 03, 2013 4:14 pm

GLX wrote:
I had a feeling that's what you were referring to.

my disguises are so paper thin :)

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:20 pm

i'm thinking about leaving...
:smt102

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Postby GLX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:25 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:i'm thinking about leaving...
:smt102

:?:

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:25 pm

Hey folks. Still recovering from the trip home. *sigh*

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:27 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:Hey folks. Still recovering from the trip home. *sigh*

You rang?
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Well howdy thar, stranger.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum