Advertisement

OP/ED: The Toxicity of Stephanie Brown

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

XSpectreGreyX
Faster Pussycat

Liked in: 0 post

Re: OP/ED: The Toxicity of Stephanie Brown

Postby XSpectreGreyX » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Zechs wrote:

For Cassandra's case see my OP/ED. There's some evidence to point you in the directions of the numerous ways DC tried to get rid of her in the past.

Stephanie? I think the higher up's never liked the character to begin with. However, Didio saw the appeal of her as Batgirl and went with it before the higher up's probably demanded he try the original idea proposed with Barbara back as Batgirl.

Yeah, it's been obvious to me for a while that editors outright hate any Batgirl that isn't Barbara Gordon. Cassandra's turn to evil was badly written, and Beechen didn't do his research, but it was an editorial mandate. And I know that he was trying to redeem himself with her miniseries, but I doubt that's why editors gave him the job. Seriously, though, someone should remind DC's editors that they aren't writers.

Advertisement

Greg
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 3 posts
Title: AKA The Hidden Hands of Horror

Postby Greg » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:26 am

This was a really good read. I'm also disappointed bout this. Loved Cassie Cain and was hoping more would be done with her. Such a fun series and loved seeing the character develop. Great design too.

I wasn't a big follower of Steph but enjoyed the bits I've read of her and everything I've seen of her own book just seemed like hilarious fun.
*Sig by Cat-Scratch!

CountD: Greg, thank you for your insights.
Benderbrau: Greg: Unwrapping the riddles of the black man since 2006

Starlord: I swear if you were gay and I wasn't married we'd make the perfect fuck buddies.

Greg: I'd do many things. Coke is not one of them.
Benderbrau: Greg hates all things white.

Benderbrau: Emma, you could learn a thing or two from Greg. Greg does threesomes. That's bi done right.

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:29 am

XSpectreGreyX wrote:
Yeah, it's been obvious to me for a while that editors outright hate any Batgirl that isn't Barbara Gordon. Cassandra's turn to evil was badly written, and Beechen didn't do his research, but it was an editorial mandate. And I know that he was trying to redeem himself with her miniseries, but I doubt that's why editors gave him the job. Seriously, though, someone should remind DC's editors that they aren't writers.

Well Pete Tomasi turned out to be one. So did Dan Didio himself. :P I just wish to be a fly on the DC wall to know the editorial hijinks that go on with that company.

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

Zechs
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 199 posts
Title: Deposted Despot
Formerly: Blight, Deacon Frost, Heinrich Himmler of S_D

Postby Zechs » Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:31 am

Greg wrote:This was a really good read. I'm also disappointed bout this. Loved Cassie Cain and was hoping more would be done with her. Such a fun series and loved seeing the character develop. Great design too.

I wasn't a big follower of Steph but enjoyed the bits I've read of her and everything I've seen of her own book just seemed like hilarious fun.

It was. Both series are a hundred times better than the current one. I can't wait for "new' Barbara fans when Batgirl Year One comes out and they're stunted at how that story is a hundred times better than anything Gail or anyone has churned out with Barbara in the "New 52".

sdsichero wrote:
I especially like and admire Zechs. He's everything I wish I could be!

Dragavon wrote:Zechs... is...

Zechs...is...

I can't say it. It's too horrible. Zechs...is...not...wrong...

leave a comment with facebook

Previous

Return to The News Stand