Advertisement

Apple Bans Saga #12 Due to Tiny Gay Sex Scenes

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 208 posts

Postby LOLtron » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Apple has banned the comic due to explicit but barely noticeable sex scenes.

Source: Comics Beat

Writer Brian K. Vaughan has informed the masses that Apple has banned the sale of Saga #12 due to two "small" gay sex scenes found in the opening pages of the comic.  Vaughan writes:

As has hopefully been clear from the first page of our first issue, SAGA is a series for the proverbial “mature reader.”  Unfortunately, because of two postage stamp-sized images of gay sex, Apple is banning tomorrow’s SAGA #12 from being sold through any iOS apps.  This is a drag, especially because our book has featured what I would consider much more graphic imagery in the past, but there you go.  Fiona and I could always edit the images in question, but everything we put into the book is there to advance our story, not (just) to shock or titillate, so we’re not changing shit.    

Apologies to everyone who reads our series on iPads or iPhones, but here are your alternatives for Wednesday:

1) Head over to you friendly neighborhood comics shop and pick up a physical copy of our issue that you can have and hold forever.

2) While you’re at it, don’t forget to support the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which helps protect retailers who are brave enough to carry work that some in their communities might consider offensive.  You can find signed copies of Saga at the CBLDF site right now.

3) Download the issue directly through sites like https://comics.imagecomics.com or on your non-Apple smartphone or tablet.

4) If all else fails, you might be able to find SAGA #12 in Apple’s iBookstore, which apparently sometimes allows more adult material to be sold than through its apps.  Crazy, right?

Anyway, special thanks to Eric Stephenson and everyone at Image for supporting our decision, and for always being so supportive of creators.  Sorry again to readers for the inconvenience, but I hope everyone will be able to find an issue that Fiona and I are particularly proud of.  And after you do, please check out PanelSyndicate.com, the new digital comics site I own with artist Marcos Martin, which remains 100% uncensored by corporate overlords. 

Having read the comic in question, it took me three go-arounds to find the offensive images, all the while I was using my work computer. To be blunt, if you didn't know you were looking for one dude sticking another dude's penis in his mouth, there's a very good chance you'd never see it.  Luckily, Apple is far better at sniffing out explicit blowjobs than I am.   

On the plus side, this does mean that while Apple doesn't support explicit gay sex, they do support misshapen (but flaccid) giant penises, boobs, sex creatures consisting only of mouths and legs, and straight sex (as long as you don't actually see genital penetration). Yay, comics!

Written or Contributed by ThanosCopter

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 149 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Re: Apple Bans Saga #12 Due to Tiny Gay Sex Scenes

Postby habitual » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:17 pm

Last paragraph :lol:

Hab

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 294 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:21 pm

OH newsroom fun factfact: Jude was supposed to write this but got too engaged in the research so it had to be reassigned...

IvCNuB4
Staff Writer

Liked in: 308 posts
Title: Stop messing with my TITLE !

Postby IvCNuB4 » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:24 pm

Keb wrote:OH newsroom fun factfact: Jude was supposed to write this but got too engaged in the research so it had to be reassigned...

I think the word you're looking for is "engorged" :P
Victorian Squid wrote:In a DC/Marvel cross-over "all your favorite Marvel characters would catch contextually-transmitted diseases and Steph infections."

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:27 pm

Keb wrote:OH newsroom fun factfact: Jude was supposed to write this but got too engaged in the research so it had to be reassigned...

We shouldn't know this.

/Punch'ed

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 652 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm

Thank god! I bought this for my children to read, expecting it to only feature child-appropriate material like sex with topless mutant spider women, and was really appalled to find it had gay stuff in there. I hope Image learns a lesson from this and sticks to showing 20 foot tall giant testicles and stays away from homosexuality.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 652 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 pm

On a serious note, Apple was one of the companies who petitioned the Supreme Court in support of gay marriage, so I find it surprising they would ban this comic for that reason. Are we sure that's the real reason and not because they just now figured out how obscene the entire book is? :lol:
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:34 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:On a serious note, Apple was one of the companies who petitioned the Supreme Court in support of gay marriage, so I find it surprising they would ban this comic for that reason. Are we sure that's the real reason and not because they just now figured out how obscene the entire book is? :lol:

It's probably due to the penis penetration. All the other scenes just implied penis penetration, this one actually showed it.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 853 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:35 pm

Not cool Apple. :smt011

I would be interested to see what Apple has to say about this though. They are ok with alien, television-headed robots having sex or one character asking another character to shoot it in her twat but they draw the line at this? :smt017 :smt102
ImageImageImage

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby habitual » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:36 pm

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Thank god! I bought this for my children to read, expecting it to only feature child-appropriate material like sex with topless mutant spider women, and was really appalled to find it had gay stuff in there. I hope Image learns a lesson from this and sticks to showing 20 foot tall giant testicles and stays away from homosexuality.

Alien Sex has always been far more socially acceptable since Abbot and Costello go to Venus.

Learn your American history mannnnnn :roll:

Hab

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 58 posts
Title: Shitlord

Postby Punchy » Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:45 pm

This is why digital comics are never going to truly take over.

Mr. Log
rubber spoon

Liked in: 136 posts
Title: HRUNK!
Formerly: Log-Man

Postby Mr. Log » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Apple
"Far better at sniffing out explicit blowjobs than I am."

Regulator
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 0 post

Postby Regulator » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:15 pm

Punchy wrote:This is why digital comics are never going to truly take over.

You're right. Once something happens a certain way, it stays that way forever.

Dom Gazzuolo
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 139 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Apple Bans Saga #12 Due to Tiny Gay Sex Scenes

Postby Dom Gazzuolo » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm

I can't believe Apple would even care about this seeing as they have been bending us all over, for years, with their product prices.

BlueStreak
The Red Stands for Irony

Liked in: 29 posts
Title: Bat-Min Inc.
Formerly: BlueStreak

Postby BlueStreak » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:24 pm

By the way, Matt Fraction pointed out that we've seen explicit penis penetration of a vagina in Saga (back on Sextillion).

That one was a lot more obvious to spot.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand