Advertisement

Ritten RUview: Time Warp #1 (SPOILERY)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 282 posts

Postby LOLtron » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:18 am

RU reviews Vertigo’s newest anthology book, Time Warp, which focuses on on time travel stories and includes many writers’ first foray into Vertigo comics.

Time Warp #1

• R.I.P. – Damon Lindelof & Jeff Lemire
  • It’s Full Of Demons – Tom King & Tom Fowler
  • I Have What You Need – Gail Simone & Gael Bertrand
  • Dead Boy Detectives – Mark Buckingham & Victor Santos
  • She’s Not There – Peter Milligan & M.K. Perker
  • 00:000:03 – Ray Fawkes & Andy Macdonald
  • Warning Danger - Matt Kindt
  • The Principle – Dan Abnett & I.N.J. Culbard

Published by: DC Vertigo
Price: $7.99
Page Count: 80

Just look at all that talent. Go on, take a minute and take it all in. A Vertigo anthology with Simone, Abnett, Kindt, Milligan, Albuquerque, and Spurrier – how could I pass this up? 

In the name of brevity and laziness I am not going focus on all eight of the tales in this book, rather I will draw attention to the ones that make the book worthwhile, and some that take away from the entertainment value of the book. If a story is not mentioned, it was good, but not great.

R.I.P:

When I was in grade school a bunch of us used to sit around and ask each other what was the coolest way to die. I didn’t even have to think about it. The answer was obvious…’Eaten by a dinosaur.’ My name is Rip Hunter. I am a Time Master. And I am not ready to die.

R.I.P could easily be subtitled “The Last Rip Hunter Story” because that is exactly what it is. I will admit to not being all that familiar with Rip Hunter as a character, and I do not know anything about his role in the New 52, but if this is the way he goes out, more power to him. In seven pages of story, Damon Lindelof incorporates the essential time travel problems into one coherent and clean tale. I really liked this story for two reasons: 1 – The sheer awesomeness of Rip’s life is showcased in its full glory and 2 – this just goes to show that there are some DC characters that can exist in both DC and Vertigo continuity. Also, I may not be a fan of Jeff Lemire as a writer, but if R.I.P. is a fair sample of his work as an artist, I’d gladly read a book he was the artist on as long as he left the writing to someone else.

It’s Full Of Demons / The Principle: I’d like to go into some real detail for both of these entries but in order to do that I would spoil the plot/mystery of It’s Full Of Demons and I do not want to do that. What I will say is that one of these stories should not have been included because they both deal with the exact same time travel paradox but from different approaches. As big of a fan as I am of Dan Abnett, his tale, The Principle, although good, was not as good as Tom King’s It’s Full Of Demons from a thematic standpoint. It’s Full Of Demons was a sad tragic tale of childhood loss that, once I figured it out, made me feel bad for the main character and brought into perspective the possible cause and effect of messing with the time stream. The Principle, on the other hand, was interesting, but fell flat coming after Demons.

The Grudge – This chapter was a messy convoluted collection of anecdotes that barely came together to make any sense. The technology was never clearly explained, the main characters unlikeable, and had a resolution that felt like the creators ran out of room and no longer cared. The art felt lazy and the writing tried too hard to be interesting.

Dead Boy Detectives – I have tried and tried and tried to get into the concept of the Dead Boy Detectives, but every time I read a story about them it feels like a shtick and not something I’d want to read beyond a few pages. In this case that is doubly true since this tale will be continued in the next Vertigo anthology, Witching Hour. If I pick that up, I’ll probably skip this chapter.

00:000:03 – WOW! The more I think about 00:000:03 the more it impresses me. Ray Fawkes and Andy Macdonald provided social commentary on the nature of warfare, intelligence, family, love, sacrifice, and duty all while not beating the reader over the head with any kind of “message.” As I read 00:000:03 I kept waiting for the feel good twist, for the deus ex machine to save the day, and I became sincerely worried and concerned that it wouldn’t happen. The skill that goes into making a reader care that much in such a short amount of space is amazing, and I have nothing but respect for both creators attached to 00:000:03.

Warning Danger – Dear Matt Kindt, I love you. That is all.

One final note, for $7.99 I’d hoped for a better quality book. I do not mean the content, but the book itself. Dark Horse Presents, also an $8 anthology book, is much better put together, bigger, and has a binding that stays together even with the size of the book. Dark Horse Presents even has spine with the title and number printed on it making it more like a trade than a comic book. I know this is a petty difference to focus on, but the added quality and attention Dark Horse gives its anthology makes me feel like I am reading a cheap trade rather than an expensive comic book.

Of the eight stories collected in Time Warp, I disliked two of them, and that is a pretty good average.

Overall: 7/10

Written or Contributed by GHERU

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

superfictious
Humuhumunukunukuapuaa

Liked in: 180 posts
Title: superfictious.wordpress.com

Re: Ritten RUview: Time Warp #1 (SPOILERY)

Postby superfictious » Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:53 am

I think I'll be getting this.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:06 pm

I heard this is tight. It also reminded me to pick up Mystery in Space, which I have access to now that I've switched from trades to digital. Excited to read some Allred and Baker later!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 107 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:25 pm

For 7.99 I also expect a good production .

We're both fans of Matt Kindt!

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 478 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:32 pm

R.I.P. – Damon Lindelof & Jeff Lemire
I am familiar with Rip Hunter and this story never really needed him - it could have just been any time traveler. For that alone it was just so so. That I've read this same kind of story before in a number of 2000 AD stories (some by Alan Moore) drops this to a 'meh'.

It’s Full Of Demons – Tom King & Tom Fowler
What a confusing meandering mess. A murder that never gets addressed, some psycho kid that grows old and Dwight D Eisenhower talking in Russian. What the fuck is this?
Answer: It's easily the best story of the book. I figured it out midway through but wow - this was a true delight to enjoy (even on the mandatory reread)

I Have What You Need – Gail Simone & Gael Bertrand
Easily forgettable. I expected more from Gail.

The Grudge - Simon Spurrier & Michael Dowling
I want my ten minutes back that I spent reading this. Worst story of the book. All I could imagine was the entire population of Earth shouting in unison at these two scientist.. "Grow the fuck up".

Dead Boy Detectives – Mark Buckingham & Victor Santos
I've like the characters and feel like I've read part one somewhere, but I've forgotten all about it (as I will probably forget this chapter for when part 3 appears someday).

She’s Not There – Peter Milligan & M.K. Perker
Ru didn't do a review on this. I'm guessing for the same reason I'm not. The story's a turd.

00:000:03 – Ray Fawkes & Andy Macdonald
A nice surprise

Warning Danger - Matt Kindt
A nicer surpise

The Principle – Dan Abnett & I.N.J. Culbard
This is a lesser story than Demons (which shares the same theme). It does look at the story from a different angle and it's still good, but I have to wonder if I wouldn't have liked this one more if I had read it first.

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand