Advertisement

Queer Heroes

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

TheSecondLex
cheese

Liked in: 0 post
Formerly: alexeiluthor

Re: Queer Heroes

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 8:22 pm

My sense is that this is gonna be some Young Avengers-sized time-shuffling. As fun as it would be (rewarding too) to finally kill off She-Hulk, and Cage, I rather doubt they'd stick to it. Espc after this week's issue, I strongly doubt there's any way fucking up the timeline won't be involved.

#PymSolidarity
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

Advertisement

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Title: That Guy, Roman.

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:27 pm

Had this song/video on the brain... just watching it makes me feel like 5% gayer than I already am. Which is quite a bit...

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:10 pm

I feel unwelcome lol, where unwelcome+likes Age of Ultron

:smt102 evil robots are cool. And I prefer to think of it as I have the rest of Bendis' Avengers stuff: brutal utilitarian deconstructionism.

but i've been wrong before (I'm looking at you, Hush)
vinnypic wrote:War is necessary. Cops are necessary. One is a necessary evil. one is a necessary force of good. failure to grasp that distinction means you're a high functioning retard.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:13 pm

I'm not reading it, but is AoU in canon?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 93 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Postby Arion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:00 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:I feel unwelcome lol, where unwelcome+likes Age of Ultron

:smt102 evil robots are cool. And I prefer to think of it as I have the rest of Bendis' Avengers stuff: brutal utilitarian deconstructionism.

but i've been wrong before (I'm looking at you, Hush)

I haven't read Age of Ultron, is it good?

And Roman, a video with hot guys in their underwear? Excellent choice, sir.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Hot boys with tattoos, dancing in speedos, how could it ever be a bad choice? :smt005

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:18 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:I'm not reading it, but is AoU in canon?

Yep.

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

ThatGuyRoman
dINGO

Postby ThatGuyRoman » Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:59 pm

GLX wrote:
Yep.

It was a silly question, but I had to know. :lol:

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:57 pm

ThatGuyRoman wrote:Hot boys with tattoos, dancing in speedos, how could it ever be a bad choice? :smt005

And the more, the merrier !

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:16 pm

Arion wrote:
And the more, the merrier !

video or gtfo.

GLX
Outhouse Editor

Liked in: 51 posts
Title: Leader of The Society

Postby GLX » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:26 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:

video or gtfo.

(See the Marina and the Diamonds video at the top of the page.) :P

john lewis wrote:Everyone but GLX has no taste.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:29 pm

Arion wrote:
I haven't read Age of Ultron, is it good?

And Roman, a video with hot guys in their underwear? Excellent choice, sir.

This is going to be wildly unpopular, but I'd say it's pretty good. In spite of Hitch's art, whihc I really don't give two shits for and which I'd argue is the main reason you hear accusations (rightly) of decompression. It's because fucking Hitchy takes two double splash pages to show Nick Fury's frakking War Room of Old Shit From Stories You Might Remember!

but other than that, yes. I'd say it's very good. Bendis has been hinting for years as some kind of essay on Ultron and Pym and just how screwed up their relationship is and how fucked Pym's legacy is or will be because of it (pretty much ever since Jan landed in the hospital in Disassembled). So I dunno. It's very interesting to me to see how this all plays out and when Pym, nevermind Ultron, but when Pym shows up and sees what's been going on.

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:01 pm

TheSecondLex wrote:
This is going to be wildly unpopular, but I'd say it's pretty good. In spite of Hitch's art, whihc I really don't give two shits for and which I'd argue is the main reason you hear accusations (rightly) of decompression. It's because fucking Hitchy takes two double splash pages to show Nick Fury's frakking War Room of Old Shit From Stories You Might Remember!

but other than that, yes. I'd say it's very good. Bendis has been hinting for years as some kind of essay on Ultron and Pym and just how screwed up their relationship is and how fucked Pym's legacy is or will be because of it (pretty much ever since Jan landed in the hospital in Disassembled). So I dunno. It's very interesting to me to see how this all plays out and when Pym, nevermind Ultron, but when Pym shows up and sees what's been going on.

You are not a fan of Hitch... not even after reading his Ultimates?

Sounds very interesting, I thought AoU would be a silly story but sounds like I was wrong.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:03 pm

IMHO, Ari, the shortcomings everyone's talking about, pace etc, are Hitchy's doing. And probably Bendis', insofar as he seems to be writing or padding it to Hitch's talents--think Hush, as Loeb was writing that mostly around Jim Lee's sensibilities.

Yes, it's been four issues of padding and plodding along through Ultron World--but I rather think this is a conscious effort to show just how wrecked this society really is. How different this crossover is. In ways that Civil War, Wanda's period (yes, that's Team Lex's super-adult term for House of M), Hulk's rampage, the Skrulls and oh by the way Norman Osborn...just couldn't do. Here comes the worst enemy the Avengers have ever faced or ever will (because Ultron is eternal), and he destroys their buildings, their institutions and their souls. Overnight.

It completely blows 'Ultron Unlimited' out of the water, it almost eclipses 'Annihilation Conquest' (almost), and it's even getting into what could be a really top-flight examination of Henry Pym and Ultron--a hero/villain dynamic/opposition/hatred that itself can stand (in the hands of the right writer) up with Reed and Doom, and Xavier and Magneto, and Squirrel Girl and Doom, and Billy Kaplan vs the Westboro Baptist Church (now wouldn't that be a story?)

Not just some Frankenstein metaphor, their relationship; not even some father-son/Cats in the Cradle dynamic--because those stories that have touched on Ultron-as-Boris Karloff have always I think missed some point of both Ultron and Pym. Bendis tells you straight out: Ultron hates humanity. And it has returned. He doesn't want a bride, he doesn't want to take over Iron Man's armor, he doesn't even want to be Pym. Maybe he did once but I think those days are gone now. I think fo him like Dean Stockwell in Battlestar Galactica: he was created by humans and with human emotions and instincts; except for the adamanitum shell he is human. And he doesn't want that. He'll never be fully machine, bound as he is by programme and Pym and that most human emotion of all, vengeance. And still, he hates mankind. Pym included.

It's such a simple premise that its easy to overlook it or pay it lip service. Nowadays Ultron just wants to kill. Everything.

That's amazing to read about, and so un-comic booky; there's always a plan, always some scheme, always an endgame in mind.

Frankly, I'd be happy if they got to the future, faced Ultron and he told them right out: I'm going to kill you and wipe out this universe and that'll be that. No grand fight to the finish, no speeches, no words with thee. Just a whooooole buncha killin!

So yes, there are pacing problems. Yes Wolverine is a pharisaical asshat (b/c when even Bendis acknowledges this, something must be very right with the universe). But there's also an amazing sense of finality going here--that I'd bet my ridiculous salary is going to be resolved via time-travel. In other words, its an unusual story and for all the sense that it comes of nowhere, or a vacuum, it seems to be making repercussions for itself. Killing Cage and Shulkie for two, and telling us that big names like Thor, Ben Grimm and Banner are out of the game too.

It's just very interesting to read. Knowing as I do that I'm in the minority of AU-enjoying fans, it's even more interesting bc of that. I shall be very curious to see where it all ends up.

And to see if my theory is right about where he's keeping Pymmie.

TheSecondLex
cheese

Postby TheSecondLex » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:08 pm

And yes, Ari, I am not a fan of Hitch. He was a big reason I stayed away from Millar's (what I hear) excellent Fantastic Four run. :)

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The Asylum