Advertisement

Batman #19 (Evolved? Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 104 posts
Title: This guy, right?

Batman #19 (Evolved? Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:30 pm

It’s kind of weird after almost 2 years of Batman comics focusing on big events like The Court Of Owls or Batman Inc or Death Of The Family to read a Batman story that’s just… a Batman story. Yes, this story is dealing somewhat with the fallout of Damian Wayne’s death, but the main thrust is a nice little story about Clayface. The opening sequence plays into the ‘WTF Certified’ stuff, as Commissioner Gordon faces off with a bank robber who turns out to be… Bruce Wayne! We then flash back a week and in a roundabout way find out that it’s Clayface pretending to be Bruce. One thing I found interesting was that before he passes out, Gordon sees that Clayface-Bruce is Batman. Will this lead to Gordon knowing the truth about Batman’s identity? Or will it be swept under the rug? Also, Gordon refers to ‘the Zero Year’ in dialogue, which was strange, it’s the kind of thing that makes sense for a story arc name, but doesn’t seem right actually being spoken by people.

The back-up story once again comes from James Tynion IV and Alex Maleev (what the hell are DC doing having Maleev draw Batman and not putting his name on the cover? He’s a big name, don’t be shy about it! Just one small example of DC doing stuff ass-backwards), and was the first part of a team-up between Batman and Superman, which is something that’s always fun, they are the real World’s Finest, not that Earth-2 nonsense!

Advertisement

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Re: Batman #19 (Evolved? Spoilers)

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:32 pm

Yeah the Zero Year comment was kind of strange.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 404 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:37 pm

Hmmm Clayface posing as Bruce Wayne and commiting crimes as him too. Now where have I seen that before. Oh yea Feat of Clay (BTAS). I'm about done with Snyder's Batman.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

guitarsmashley
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 411 posts
Title: Self Important

Postby guitarsmashley » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:21 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Hmmm Clayface posing as Bruce Wayne and commiting crimes as him too. Now where have I seen that before. Oh yea Feat of Clay (BTAS). I'm about done with Snyder's Batman.

But not with DNA evidence, really it's time to rest. Just rest shhhhhh it will be ok.
doombug wrote:You really are the george carlin of the outhouse. that's fucking hilarious.

doombug wrote:and yeah, Yoni called it. :drunk

I feel like a condemned building with a brand new flag pole.
- Les Paul

HNutz
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 998 posts

Postby HNutz » Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:55 pm

guitarsmashley wrote:Yeah the Zero Year comment was kind of strange.

Weirdest part of the book, IMO.

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Liked in: 360 posts

Postby Lord Simian » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:22 pm

Wait, so Gordon's awesome "what am I, an idiot? What makes you so sure that I didn't figure it out YEARS ago, I just CAN'T know it as Commisioner so nudge nudge wink wink say no more" moment has been retconned out? Stupid NUDC, that was one of the best Gordon moments of the last quarter century!

Draco x
Zombie Guard

Liked in: 462 posts

Postby Draco x » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:11 pm

Lord Simian wrote:Wait, so Gordon's awesome "what am I, an idiot? What makes you so sure that I didn't figure it out YEARS ago, I just CAN'T know it as Commisioner so nudge nudge wink wink say no more" moment has been retconned out? Stupid NUDC, that was one of the best Gordon moments of the last quarter century!

Didn't Gordon already find out the Bruce/ Batman connection prior to New 52 some years ago?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1143 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Punchy wrote:It’s kind of weird after almost 2 years of Batman comics focusing on big events like The Court Of Owls or Batman Inc or Death Of The Family to read a Batman story that’s just… a Batman story.

Too bad it's too late for me. Too many crossovers made me lose interest.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:24 am

draco x wrote:
Didn't Gordon already find out the Bruce/ Batman connection prior to New 52 some years ago?

That IS in fact what I just said, yes. Thank you for the English-to-English translation help. :P

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 404 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:10 am

Lord Simian wrote:Wait, so Gordon's awesome "what am I, an idiot? What makes you so sure that I didn't figure it out YEARS ago, I just CAN'T know it as Commisioner so nudge nudge wink wink say no more" moment has been retconned out? Stupid NUDC, that was one of the best Gordon moments of the last quarter century!

Yep and then there was my all time favorite moment during No Man's Land when Batman tries takes off the cowl but Gordon won't turn around to see. That and when Bab's tells Gordon that she was Batgirl and he basically says that he knows. All that awesomeness is gone now. :smt013
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Lord Simian
The Lord of the Monkeys

Postby Lord Simian » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:49 pm

avengingtitan wrote:Yep and then there was my all time favorite moment during No Man's Land when Batman tries takes off the cowl but Gordon won't turn around to see. That and when Bab's tells Gordon that she was Batgirl and he basically says that he knows. All that awesomeness is gone now. :smt013

That's the one I'm talking about!

leave a comment with facebook

Return to The News Stand