Advertisement

Avengers #9 (Worm sex Spoilers)

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Punchy
Staff Writer

Liked in: 76 posts
Title: Shitlord

Avengers #9 (Worm sex Spoilers)

Postby Punchy » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:24 am

Jonathan Hickman’s Avengers is doing a brilliant job at telling stories that really suit the new scale of the Avengers, and of making even massive stuff like a White Event tie in to whatever the larger story Hickman is telling. In this issue we find out that the reason the Whie Event went wrong is because of what Ex Nihilo did in the first story arc. Everything’s connected. I am kind of annoyed that the Avengers seem like passengers in their own book, it’s 6 pages before they even show up and even then, they aren’t the main focus, it’s Starbrand and Nightmask. Hickman has gotten better at characterising his main characters lately, but this issue was a step back. I also feel that it was pretty fucking harsh of the Avengers to imprison both of the New Universe guys, but I’m sure it’s all leading somewhere. I was also pretty disappointed that Dustin Weaver didn’t draw the entire issue, but Mike Deodato is an able fill-in.

Advertisement

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 728 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Re: Avengers #9 (Worm sex Spoilers)

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:07 pm

It's not out of character at all for the Avengers to want to imprison innocent teenagers for crimes they might possibly commit in the future, so I don't find imprisoning the NU guys to be a stretch.

TimDrake'sDumbWings
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 2 posts
Title: I mean... ROBINS have wings...
Formerly: DOOP SPEAK

Postby TimDrake'sDumbWings » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm

Well, they let beings that bombed major cities have a playground on Mars. Why couldn't they let the NU dudes stay there as long as they stayed away from Earth?

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:17 pm

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Well, they let beings that bombed major cities have a playground on Mars. Why couldn't they let the NU dudes stay there as long as they stayed away from Earth?

The Avengers are bullies.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Juan Cena
DANG!

Liked in: 127 posts
Title: The Lyrical Peyton Manning

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:47 am

TimDrake'sDumbWings wrote:Well, they let beings that bombed major cities have a playground on Mars. Why couldn't they let the NU dudes stay there as long as they stayed away from Earth?

Let the "greatest weapon in the universe" (or whatever the Star Brand is) live on Mars with Ex Nihlo? Brilliant idea there.

"I have my heroes, but no one knows their names"
- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.shirtswithrandomtriangles.com/

Check out Christmas in Nacirema
http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:00 am

Punchy wrote:Jonathan Hickman’s Avengers is doing a brilliant job at telling stories that really suit the new scale of the Avengers, and of making even massive stuff like a White Event tie in to whatever the larger story Hickman is telling. In this issue we find out that the reason the Whie Event went wrong is because of what Ex Nihilo did in the first story arc. Everything’s connected. I am kind of annoyed that the Avengers seem like passengers in their own book, it’s 6 pages before they even show up and even then, they aren’t the main focus, it’s Starbrand and Nightmask. Hickman has gotten better at characterising his main characters lately, but this issue was a step back. I also feel that it was pretty fucking harsh of the Avengers to imprison both of the New Universe guys, but I’m sure it’s all leading somewhere. I was also pretty disappointed that Dustin Weaver didn’t draw the entire issue, but Mike Deodato is an able fill-in.

It's obvious that Hickman isn't done with Star Brand or Nightmask yet. I think there's a good chance they'll end up as the outer circles on the Avenger's schematic.

The narration during the battle between the Avengers and Star Brand/Nightmask was the coolest part of the book. You couldn't tell which side the narrator was on in the battle, as both the descriptions of "They were titans and gods and immortals" and "And we, we...we were broken. Not called...But made..." (and the rest I don't really care to type out at 2am) could fit both sides.

- Sons of the Desert

Strict31 wrote:I'm not sure that combining the nigh-uncontrollable power of LOLtron with the Nacireman is a good idea. Some years from now, when mankind is on the verge of extinction, we'll be able to look back and remember this moment, and say, "DANG."

http://www.pandora.com/?sc=sh619160960893481469&shareImp=true#!/stations/play/619160960893481469

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:38 am

I think it was pretty clear on the page where Hyperion is shooting his eye lasers that the captions are referring to the Avengers, and on the following page, the captions are referring to the NU guys.

habitual
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 159 posts
Title: Habinger of Doom!

Postby habitual » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:41 am

So the Starbrand took on the Hulk, Thor and Hyperion all at the same time and held his own pretty well. Seems like he even outpowers the Sentry.

Hab

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:46 am

habitual wrote:So the Starbrand took on the Hulk, Thor and Hyperion all at the same time and held his own pretty well. Seems like he even outpowers the Sentry.

Hab

I hope we get some old school scenes where he faces off with cosmic characters like the Silver Surfer and they grimace while shooting power beams out of their hands at each other that meet in the middle.

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:33 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:I think it was pretty clear on the page where Hyperion is shooting his eye lasers that the captions are referring to the Avengers, and on the following page, the captions are referring to the NU guys.

You would think so. But the narrator's voice feels more like it's the same narrator from the first three issues. That and the descriptions on the next page could easily describe the Avengers as well as the NU guys. "Broken" "Not called, but made""Errors in the system. Anomilies" Planet killers and world breakers" "Final options, last resorts...Things it was not time for...yet" could describe the Avengers as well. Those descriptions easily describe the typical Marvel hero.

If it was one of the NU guys, though. It sounds like they'll be Avengers sooner or later. On the outer circles of the schematic.

One allied with "life"

And the other with "death"

- Sons of the Desert

fieldy snuts
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 209 posts
Title: Burrr
Formerly: Sweet James Jones

Postby fieldy snuts » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:15 am

Maybe it's the Justice?

Juan Cena
DANG!

Postby Juan Cena » Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:52 am

fieldy snuts wrote:Maybe it's the Justice?

I've been wondering if other NU characters would show up, or if it turns out current Marvel heroes are the MU analogues of NU characters.

- Sons of the Desert

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 323 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am

Juan Cena wrote:
It's obvious that Hickman isn't done with Star Brand or Nightmask yet. I think there's a good chance they'll end up as the outer circles on the Avenger's schematic.

What gave that away? Maybe the July solicits?
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 182 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:15 am

I'm not really feeling Hickman’s Avengers. He's a fantastic writer but much like Morrison I prefer their creator owned stuff. They try to go to far with the big two books they write. Its not bad just doesn't feel right.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The News Stand