Sunday, July 24, 2016 • Evening Edition • "In this issue: an Outhouser will DIE!"

The Outhouse - The Greatest Comic Book Forum

Comics news, comic book reviews, feature articles about comics, interviews with comic creators, plus the greatest comic book and pop culture discussion in the Outhouse forums!

Advertisement

Disney Lays Off Most of Hand-Drawn Animation Division

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Well, they're not accepting new members, but we'll take anyone here, so why not sign up for a free acount? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

User avatar

LOLtron

Rain Partier

Postby LOLtron » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm

EA isn't the only one announcing layoffs as the House of Mouse does some clears out their hand-drawn animation division.




First EA, now the House of Mouse. Though this feels more like a house cleaning, similar to what was done last week with LucasArts purge.  Former Disney Animator Tom Bancroft via Twitter has listed several names that are, as of today, not working under the iron, white gloved fist of Disney.

Amongst some of the layoffs are animators who worked on the recent Academy Award Winning animated short, Paperman. Here's some of the names listed via Bancroft:

 

 

 

Yup. Just when you thought Disney was done with gutting entire divisions of their company in order to maximize profits while slowly gaining ownership over every intellectual property known to man, they managed to find another entire department of human beings to destroy in the name of the almighty dollar. So why does a company that produced the third highest grossing movie of all time last year and just acquired the third highest grossing franchise of all time need to cut costs? The LA Times has a thoughtful answer, but we prefer a simpler one: because they can. We'll keep you updated as this story develops.



Written or Contributed by Zechs


READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!
User avatar

Herald

Regular-Sized Poster

Postby Herald » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Man, some of those names, I remember from when I was following Disney Animation closely. :-( At least they kept Henn and Goldberg.
User avatar

theflyingwaffle

Mad Hatter

Postby theflyingwaffle » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 am

This is really a shame... I have always preferred hand drawn animation over computer generated stuff. Not to say that CG is bad, I mean there have been a lot of great CG films released, I just have always loved the feel of hand drawn animation. It feels much more organic to me.

wonka

Fish-Smackin' Knight

Postby wonka » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:36 am

Super sad :( I loved growing up watching Disney movies like the Lion King, Aladdin and all the other classics. It's becoming a loss art form. Such a shame, CGI is great, but not when every second movie is CGI though. This is a tragic loss
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:40 am

Last summer I visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, and it was really amazing to see all the stuff that Disney and its animators innovated in the field of animation. But the world has changed and if something can be done for less money, companies will choose that option every time. And since America has been trained to consume whatever is put in front of them, Disney can ditch hand-drawn animation completely and suffer no consequences for it.
User avatar

Amoebas

Son of Stein

Postby Amoebas » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 am

If the Nine Old Men were still around, they'd be the Nine Unemployed Men.
User avatar

Keb

<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am

At least they're not laying those people off and replacing them with temporary foreign workers from India who are exploited for cheap wages.
User avatar

bkthomson

Rain Partier

Postby bkthomson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:07 am

Keb wrote:At least they're not laying those people off and replacing them with temporary foreign workers from India who are exploited for cheap wages.


Never.
User avatar

avengingtitan

Rain Partier

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am

wonka wrote:Super sad :( I loved growing up watching Disney movies like the Lion King, Aladdin and all the other classics. It's becoming a loss art form. Such a shame, CGI is great, but not when every second movie is CGI though. This is a tragic loss

Oh man I'm right there with you. That stuff is so much better then CGI.
User avatar

Lord Ice

Motherfucker from Hell

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am

So much for another Fantasia. Probably just as well, since what would be considered "classical music" today, the movie would probably be "mixed" by Paul Oakenfold.
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Last summer I visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, and it was really amazing to see all the stuff that Disney and its animators innovated in the field of animation. But the world has changed and if something can be done for less money, companies will choose that option every time. And since America has been trained to consume whatever is put in front of them, Disney can ditch hand-drawn animation completely and suffer no consequences for it.


Well Princess and the Frog performed below expectations domestically which I believe had something to do with the decision to re-abandon an effort to put traditional animation back in the theatres.

Also the excellent Frankenweenie bombed :smt102

So I don't really see American "consuming whatever is put in front of them" :smt102
User avatar

Rockman

Rain Partier

Postby Rockman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 am

I love traditional animation I really do, I prefer it in many cases. But I don't understand people who debase CGI in an effort to make 2D look better. If you can't see the amount of beauty, hardwork, and genuine artwork in the animation of something like Brave then I think you must be blind. And I honestly don't believe you could ever get anything of that detail out of a 2D animation.

I think there could be a market for both, and in time we'll see it come back again. I'm personally getting tired of the shovelwear dreamworks style animation that floods the theatres, at least from a storytelling standpoint.
User avatar

S.F. Jude Terror

OMCTO

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am

Rockman wrote:
Well Princess and the Frog performed below expectations domestically which I believe had something to do with the decision to re-abandon an effort to put traditional animation back in the theatres.

Also the excellent Frankenweenie bombed :smt102

So I don't really see American "consuming whatever is put in front of them" :smt102


My kids love Princess and the Frog. :smt102
User avatar

Addie Blondefield

FACEBOOKTron

Postby Addie Blondefield » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 pm

They would not even EXIST if it weren't for the hand drawn animation department!
User avatar

sdsichero

2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 pm

I love both CGI and hand drawn animation (and stop motion animation). Is sad.

leave a comment with facebook


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexa [Bot], FaceBook [Linkcheck], Google [Bot], HNutz, Liam Moorhart, Pizza Dog, psbot [Picsearch], Sarahroo and 32 guests