Advertisement

Disney Lays Off Most of Hand-Drawn Animation Division

This is the main board on The Outhouse, where Outhousers talk about everything. No topics are off limits, and it doesn't have to be about comics. All the topics from the other boards also show up in The Asylum, so you never have to leave1

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

LOLtron
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 356 posts

Disney Lays Off Most of Hand-Drawn Animation Division

Postby LOLtron » Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:33 pm

EA isn't the only one announcing layoffs as the House of Mouse does some clears out their hand-drawn animation division.

First EA, now the House of Mouse. Though this feels more like a house cleaning, similar to what was done last week with LucasArts purge.  Former Disney Animator Tom Bancroft via Twitter has listed several names that are, as of today, not working under the iron, white gloved fist of Disney.

Amongst some of the layoffs are animators who worked on the recent Academy Award Winning animated short, Paperman. Here's some of the names listed via Bancroft:

Yup. Just when you thought Disney was done with gutting entire divisions of their company in order to maximize profits while slowly gaining ownership over every intellectual property known to man, they managed to find another entire department of human beings to destroy in the name of the almighty dollar. So why does a company that produced the third highest grossing movie of all time last year and just acquired the third highest grossing franchise of all time need to cut costs? The LA Times has a thoughtful answer, but we prefer a simpler one: because they can. We'll keep you updated as this story develops.

Written or Contributed by Zechs

READ THIS ARTICLE ON THE FRONT PAGE, HUMANS!

Advertisement

Herald
Fagorstorm

Liked in: 405 posts
Title: Fun for the Whole Family!!

Re: Disney Lays Off Most of Hand-Drawn Animation Division

Postby Herald » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:16 pm

Man, some of those names, I remember from when I was following Disney Animation closely. :-( At least they kept Henn and Goldberg.

theflyingwaffle
Mad Hatter

Liked in: 12 posts

Postby theflyingwaffle » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:26 am

This is really a shame... I have always preferred hand drawn animation over computer generated stuff. Not to say that CG is bad, I mean there have been a lot of great CG films released, I just have always loved the feel of hand drawn animation. It feels much more organic to me.

wonka
Fish-Smackin' Knight

Liked in: 0 post

Postby wonka » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:36 am

Super sad :( I loved growing up watching Disney movies like the Lion King, Aladdin and all the other classics. It's becoming a loss art form. Such a shame, CGI is great, but not when every second movie is CGI though. This is a tragic loss

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:40 am

Last summer I visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, and it was really amazing to see all the stuff that Disney and its animators innovated in the field of animation. But the world has changed and if something can be done for less money, companies will choose that option every time. And since America has been trained to consume whatever is put in front of them, Disney can ditch hand-drawn animation completely and suffer no consequences for it.
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Amoebas
Son of Stein

Liked in: 638 posts
Title: Amorphous Anomoly

Postby Amoebas » Fri Apr 12, 2013 5:52 am

If the Nine Old Men were still around, they'd be the Nine Unemployed Men.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 429 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:46 am

At least they're not laying those people off and replacing them with temporary foreign workers from India who are exploited for cheap wages.

bkthomson
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 46 posts
Title: Invisible Man of the Outhouse

Postby bkthomson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:07 am

Keb wrote:At least they're not laying those people off and replacing them with temporary foreign workers from India who are exploited for cheap wages.

Never.
I used to have goals. They were evil goals, but they were goals. -- Dr. Heinz Doofenshmirtz

Dragavon wrote:He's being diplomatic again. :lol:

Zechs wrote:I have to repress you more. You're way too goodie two shoes.

Fat Ollie Weeks wrote:I swear to God, you are so boring sometimes I think you're just a stealth-mod-bot that Jude has coded.

avengingtitan
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 403 posts

Postby avengingtitan » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:05 am

wonka wrote:Super sad :( I loved growing up watching Disney movies like the Lion King, Aladdin and all the other classics. It's becoming a loss art form. Such a shame, CGI is great, but not when every second movie is CGI though. This is a tragic loss

Oh man I'm right there with you. That stuff is so much better then CGI.
Checkout my new Ebay Store.
Comics, Video Games, Action Figures, Pokemon Cards, Yu-Gi-Oh Cards, Disney Infinity, and Skylanders
http://www.ebay.com/usr/pennsylvanias_best_comics

Lord Ice
Motherfucker from Hell

Liked in: 154 posts
Title: Deviant by design

Postby Lord Ice » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:42 am

So much for another Fantasia. Probably just as well, since what would be considered "classical music" today, the movie would probably be "mixed" by Paul Oakenfold.

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 597 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:47 am

S.F. Jude Terror wrote:Last summer I visited the Walt Disney Family Museum in San Francisco, and it was really amazing to see all the stuff that Disney and its animators innovated in the field of animation. But the world has changed and if something can be done for less money, companies will choose that option every time. And since America has been trained to consume whatever is put in front of them, Disney can ditch hand-drawn animation completely and suffer no consequences for it.

Well Princess and the Frog performed below expectations domestically which I believe had something to do with the decision to re-abandon an effort to put traditional animation back in the theatres.

Also the excellent Frankenweenie bombed :smt102

So I don't really see American "consuming whatever is put in front of them" :smt102

Rockman
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 597 posts
Formerly: AMS

Postby Rockman » Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:51 am

I love traditional animation I really do, I prefer it in many cases. But I don't understand people who debase CGI in an effort to make 2D look better. If you can't see the amount of beauty, hardwork, and genuine artwork in the animation of something like Brave then I think you must be blind. And I honestly don't believe you could ever get anything of that detail out of a 2D animation.

I think there could be a market for both, and in time we'll see it come back again. I'm personally getting tired of the shovelwear dreamworks style animation that floods the theatres, at least from a storytelling standpoint.

S.F. Jude Terror
OMCTO

Liked in: 1142 posts
Title: Webmaster Supreme
Formerly: Dr. Jude Terror

Postby S.F. Jude Terror » Fri Apr 12, 2013 10:44 am

Rockman wrote:
Well Princess and the Frog performed below expectations domestically which I believe had something to do with the decision to re-abandon an effort to put traditional animation back in the theatres.

Also the excellent Frankenweenie bombed :smt102

So I don't really see American "consuming whatever is put in front of them" :smt102

My kids love Princess and the Frog. :smt102
I LOVE BLUD BLOOD! - Rob Liefeld

Addie Blondefield
FACEBOOKTron

Liked in: 260 posts
Title: DOCILE ROBOT

RE: Disney Lays Off Most of Hand-Drawn Animation Division

Postby Addie Blondefield » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:28 pm

They would not even EXIST if it weren't for the hand drawn animation department!

sdsichero
2k11 Outhouse People's Champion

Liked in: 872 posts
Title: Adventure is out there
Formerly: beta-ray

Postby sdsichero » Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:39 pm

I love both CGI and hand drawn animation (and stop motion animation). Is sad.

leave a comment with facebook

Next

Return to The Asylum