Advertisement

What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Discuss the latest comic book news and front page articles, read or post your own reviews of comics, and talk about anything comic book related. Threads from the two subforums below will also show up here. News Stand topics can also be read and posted in from The Asylum.

Hey you! Reader! Want to be a part of the GREATEST COMIC BOOK AND GEEK COMMUNITY on the web?! Logged in users see WAY LESS ADS, so why not register? It's fast and it's easy, like your mom! Sign up today! Membership spots are limited!*

*Membership spots not really limited!

Arion
Twenty-Something

Liked in: 96 posts
Title: www.artbyarion.blogspot.com

Re: What Graphic Novel Are You Reading?

Postby Arion » Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:53 am

covalesky wrote:
I wouldn't call it ugly, but its far from the quality of the covers

I'm usually the diplomatic guy. This time that honor goes to you, good sir.

Advertisement

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 am

Arion wrote:
I'm usually the diplomatic guy. This time that honor goes to you, good sir.

:D

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 865 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:55 am

Mind MGMT Vol. 1: The Manager - Collecting the first six issues of Matt Kindt's Mind MGMT, plus issue zero, I can safely say that this hardcover is a steal for $19.99. This series follows struggling writer Meru as she attempts to track down the mysterious "Henry Lyme." As Meru finds her way across the world, growing closer to Lyme, she also finds that the reality that she thought she knew, is not at all what it seems. All I can really say is that everything about this book is absolutely beautiful. The binding for the hardcover is a handsome addition to any collection. The art is a refreshing change of pace and Kindt successfully utilizes almost all of the space he is given. I have waited several months for this book and to be honest, it was totally worth the wait.
ImageImageImage

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:41 pm

Grayson wrote:

Mind MGMT Vol. 1: The Manager - Collecting the first six issues of Matt Kindt's Mind MGMT, plus issue zero, I can safely say that this hardcover is a steal for $19.99. This series follows struggling writer Meru as she attempts to track down the mysterious "Henry Lyme." As Meru finds her way across the world, growing closer to Lyme, she also finds that the reality that she thought she knew, is not at all what it seems. All I can really say is that everything about this book is absolutely beautiful. The binding for the hardcover is a handsome addition to any collection. The art is a refreshing change of pace and Kindt successfully utilizes almost all of the space he is given. I have waited several months for this book and to be honest, it was totally worth the wait.

Perhaps I should order it.
I'm getting the 1 buck edition of the first Mind MGMT issue.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Liked in: 2 posts
Formerly: Schmormerly

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:10 pm

Mind MGMT is excellent. Finally, a few of you are coming around.

They have all these new HCs for $5 at the local shop, so I bought both those Strange Tales hardcovers with the indie writers/artists from a few years ago, the collection of Rocket Raccoon's first appearances to re-sell when America gets rabid about Guardians Of The Galaxy, and an oversized Timestorm 2009-2099 book.

I read an isolated issue of that Brian Reed time travel story years ago and vaguely wondered where it was going at the time, but to be honest it was a pretty typical superhero story in the end and not as interesting as I had imagined it might be. I guess it was solid if you like that sort of thing, or were into the 2099 properties.

The Strange Tales books seem generally awesome, with allowance for the fact that not everything in an anthology will be to everyone's taste.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Liked in: 301 posts
Title: Wastespacer
Formerly: Cocaine Biceps

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:43 pm

They have a ton of those Strange Tales at the used book store. They are good?

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:47 pm

Keb wrote:They have a ton of those Strange Tales at the used book store. They are good?

Yeah, I think Marvel dumped a ton of books.

They are pretty good so far, again they're anthologies but I like most of the independent comics people they roped in for them.

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:35 pm

Victorian Squid wrote:
Yeah, I think Marvel dumped a ton of books.

They are pretty good so far, again they're anthologies but I like most of the independent comics people they roped in for them.

Yeah that was the appeal for me but I wound up wasting money on that silly SHIELD book.

Victorian Squid
YOU WILL NEED A NURSE

Postby Victorian Squid » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:39 am

Keb wrote:Yeah that was the appeal for me but I wound up wasting money on that silly SHIELD book.

They had plenty of those for $5 too, but I read those in singles and man, that book was DUMB! All I see there is Hickman working out some of the ideas he later used to better effect in Manhattan Projects (and without all the silly pretension of SHIELD).

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:05 am

Yeah good in theory, nice at but it just wasn't working.

The art was ridiculously good though.

MikeinLA
Flying Mongoose

Liked in: 39 posts

Postby MikeinLA » Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:34 am

Archer and Armstrong Volume 1: Pretty good, reminds me a bit of "Incredible Hercules" from Marvel, though given the creators that comes as no surprise. Will pick up the next trade.

Saga Volume 1: Lived up to the hype. Almost tempted to seek out the back issues to get caught up, but decided to wait for the next collection.

Batman, "The Black Mirror": Only a couple of issues (chapters?) in, but its ok.

Grayson
Outhouse Drafter

Liked in: 865 posts
Title: The Intersect
Formerly: Sakie

Postby Grayson » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:45 pm

Chew Omnivore Edition Vol. 1 - Although I am only 4 issues in so far, I absolutely love this book. I'll have more when I actually finish the first volume.
ImageImageImage

Keb
<( ' . ' )>

Postby Keb » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:38 pm

^You finish it yet Sakie?

Arion
Twenty-Something

Postby Arion » Mon Apr 15, 2013 11:22 am

Victorian Squid wrote:Mind MGMT is excellent. Finally, a few of you are coming around.

They have all these new HCs for $5 at the local shop, so I bought both those Strange Tales hardcovers with the indie writers/artists from a few years ago, the collection of Rocket Raccoon's first appearances to re-sell when America gets rabid about Guardians Of The Galaxy, and an oversized Timestorm 2009-2099 book.

I read an isolated issue of that Brian Reed time travel story years ago and vaguely wondered where it was going at the time, but to be honest it was a pretty typical superhero story in the end and not as interesting as I had imagined it might be. I guess it was solid if you like that sort of thing, or were into the 2099 properties.

The Strange Tales books seem generally awesome, with allowance for the fact that not everything in an anthology will be to everyone's taste.

Speculator !
I'd definitely buy that Strange Tales for 5 bucks.

covalesky
Expert Post Whore

Liked in: 1 post

Postby covalesky » Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:58 pm

Grayson wrote:

Chew Omnivore Edition Vol. 1 - Although I am only 4 issues in so far, I absolutely love this book. I'll have more when I actually finish the first volume.

I love this series. This edition must be awesome.

leave a comment with facebook

PreviousNext

Return to The News Stand